Crigler Najjar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beeitchness

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In hemolysis, there is no CB in the urine but the urine is still dark because of increased urobilinogen (liver is intact, converts UCB to CB and bacteria turns it into urobilinogen, which is reabsorbed and some of it ends up in the kidney).

If this is so, then is the urine in CriglerNajjar type I also dark?

If the enzyme is absent, the patient cannot convert UCB to CB which means no urobilinogen to go into the urine (despite increased UCB)..and the urine will be light in Crigler Najjar type I. Am I correct on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In hemolysis, there is no CB in the urine but the urine is still dark because of increased urobilinogen (liver is intact, converts UCB to CB and bacteria turns it into urobilinogen, which is reabsorbed and some of it ends up in the kidney).

If this is so, then is the urine in CriglerNajjar type I also dark?

If the enzyme is absent, the patient cannot convert UCB to CB which means no urobilinogen to go into the urine (despite increased UCB)..am I correct on this?

I thought...in Crigler Najjar urine would be light since no conjugated bilirubin (hence no urobilinogen) in urine

unconjugated bilirubin --> doesn't effect color of urine cuz can't go into urine
conjugated bilirubin --> turns urine dark
urobilinogen (urobilin/stercobilin) --> turns urine the normal yellowish color

im tired right now so probably am not remembering correctly, plz correct me wherever i am wrong.