Criminal Background Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NASA123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Three days ago I received an email from AMCAS stating that a school had requested a Criminal Background Check (CBC) on me...

Is this synonymous with an acceptance? It seems to me pointless for a school to spend money on you for the CBC if they aren't going to accept you.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

CBCs cost like 20 bucks. They're not a sign of acceptance. They're a sign you weren't flat out rejected. It's not a bad sign. But it's not really the awesome sign your looking for.

This is how my email read:

"Dear xxxxx,

You have received this email because you have been waitlisted or conditionally accepted by one or more of the medical schools participating in the AAMC-facilitated program for performing criminal background checks on conditionally accepted applicants and waiting list applicants."

So I'm guessing Certiphi Screening is only for accepted or waitlist applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is how my email read:

"Dear xxxxx,

You have received this email because you have been waitlisted or conditionally accepted by one or more of the medical schools participating in the AAMC-facilitated program for performing criminal background checks on conditionally accepted applicants and waiting list applicants."

So I'm guessing Certiphi Screening is only for accepted or waitlist applicants.

Yeah I saw that, I guess each school is probably different. I have a feeling it came from Penn State, which is why I was excited, but I'm not completely sure. I absolutely loved the school and now i'm paranoid haha.

For what it's worth, last year I got 6 wait lists, zero back ground check. Of the three schools that divulged wait list rankings, I was told I was in the upper third of two of them.

If you're accepted or waitlisted, I think you get the CBC email and request.

Three days ago I received an email from AMCAS stating that a school had requested a Criminal Background Check (CBC) on me...

Is this synonymous with an acceptance? It seems to me pointless for a school to spend money on you for the CBC if they aren't going to accept you.

Thoughts?

The Certlphi CBC was free...oops, I quoted the wrong post - this was directed to someone else...

Whatever - I thought we had to pay, but I just did it, and it was no cost to me.

Last edited:
bACKGROUND CHECK CLEARED AND i RELAEASED IT EARLY I AM ONE STEP CLOSER TO MED SCHOOL yah

i only put my current address because i forgot the rest...they will find the rest and put them it is not a big deal. i filled it out tues afternoon and it was done today. good luck

I just received my Penn State acceptance letter!!!! There may be some credence to the CBC theory.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

If you're accepted or waitlisted, I think you get the CBC email and request.

Not true. According to the AMCAS website:

"The AAMC has initiated an AMCAS-facilitated national background check service, through which Certiphi Screening, Inc. (a Vertical Screen® Company) will procure a national background report on early decision program applicants at the point of acceptance and all other applicants at the point of acceptance after January 1st. In addition, beginning in May of each year, a national background report will be procured for a subset of applicants who are on a participating school's alternate list; medical schools will not receive such reports until the point of acceptance."

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/faq/background.htm