Criminal Background Checks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrAnonymous

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to do a FREE criminal background check. The reason I am asking is cause I read on a website that sometimes there might be a mistake on your background folder. My record should be spotless other than those d@mn speeding tickets and I just want to make sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Do they check this when you apply to medical school? I have a bankruptcy in my background and want to know if they will check for that.

There is a question on the primary AMCAS application (question 19), in which you're asked if you have ever been the recipient of institutional action by your school for a conduct violation (most likely a crime). Many undergrad schools know rather quickly when a student has committed a crime. The student is usually dismissed immediately after the fact.

Also, i doubt med schools do background checks, but i assume they do upon giving the degree (according to requirements i've read on some med school sites, regarding 'good moral character'). (do any of you MS-IV's know about this?)

Thus, if you have a shady side, they'll find out sooner or later.

-raindodger

Members don't see this ad :)
there actually was a thread about this not too long ago, and it brought some very important points and suggestions...I am sure if you find it, it will help you a lot

I am not sure either if the schools do a background check prior to accepting someone, but, just a few weeks ago, we had a meeting with some admin people re our graduation and the background check was mentioned again. Now, I don't know if they are actually going to to one before graduation of ir we are just going to have to sign one of those things certifying that you were not convicted of any felony.

At any rate, you cannot be licensed to practice medicine if you were found guilty of a felony in the past. I am quite sure the Board of Healing Arts of each respective state ask for a police background report(particularly in light of happening such as that guy who killed several patients, tried to poison his coworkes and then went to Africa to practice medicine)

I fell pretty sure that no one will do a criminal background check this early..I am condoning lying about any history you have.
I heard that the DO school in Arizona does drug screens before you enroll (not while applying). I could be wrong about this. Maybe someone else would know about the Arizona school but I am unsure.