Criminal History and Canadian Med School Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noob1112

Reaction score
I'm a medical school applicant with exceptional undergraduate GPA, MCAT and extracurriculars/references. The hitch is I have had some criminal history stemming from an alcohol and drug problem as well as untreated mental illness. I have received treatment for my problems and have strove to become a better person through my challenges. Will this effect my admission into any Canadian medical schools? I received a conditional discharge for my crimes and do not have a visible criminal record, however most schools that I have spoken to make you state any criminal activity whether or not it resulted in a conviction. I have spoken to some schools regarding policy but they have not been able to provide me with much information, I am now looking for information from someone who has gone through a similar experience as I am currently going through

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a medical school applicant with exceptional undergraduate GPA, MCAT and extracurriculars/references. The hitch is I have had some criminal history stemming from an alcohol and drug problem as well as untreated mental illness. I have received treatment for my problems and have strove to become a better person through my challenges. Will this effect my admission into any Canadian medical schools? I received a conditional discharge for my crimes and do not have a visible criminal record, however most schools that I have spoken to make you state any criminal activity whether or not it resulted in a conviction. I have spoken to some schools regarding policy but they have not been able to provide me with much information, I am now looking for information from someone who has gone through a similar experience as I am currently going through

How long has it been since your substance abuse/mental health/legal troubles? What were the nature of your crimes (property? violence? possesion?) How old were you when these happened? How long have you been in remission from your mental health and substance abuse problems?

I can't advise regarding Canadian schools, but those that can will likely need to know answers to the above questions.