criminal record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chudson

courts
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I have heard conflicting stories from different advisors about a misdemeanor that is on my record from age 17. (I am now 25) Has anyone run into any issues like this when applying to schools?

Members don't see this ad.

chudson said:
So, I have heard conflicting stories from different advisors about a misdemeanor that is on my record from age 17. (I am now 25) Has anyone run into any issues like this when applying to schools?

I don't know if schools would dig up juvenile records, but they might. Although I have never had to deal with an issue like that, if I were in your shoes I would be up-front about it and address it when writing my PS. Or, if in the applications they specifically ask about misdemeanors and you have to check the box that says "yes," be sure to explain yourself. In other words, they probably will do a background check so make sure to be truthful. Better that they find out from you and you explain to them that it was a mistake and the lessons you learned from it, how much you have grown and changed since, etc. Good Luck!

chudson said:

I have....the best thing I can suggest is just be honest...I have a misdemeanor from when I was 17 as well (larceny).... I told them exactly what happened and also told them about how I now tell my story to younger people so that they know what I went through, to try to deter them from making the same mistake I did. Everyone makes mistakes, after all no one is perfect...I think what really matters is how you handle yourself after the mistake is made...and that you learned from your mistake of course...I don't think repeated offenses looks very good for you though...I also had a ticket for over $300 (speeding)...I had to tell a few of the schools about that one as well (they asked about tickets over $200 or something like that). I'll be 25 in July and only had one rejection so far (Mercer)

Last edited: