Applying with an arrest record, maybe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dingdong1810

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if applying to pharmacy school (specifically the University of Washington or others) with a clean criminal record and an arrest record will damper my chances?

Here's what happened so you can get background: 2 years ago I was goofing off with friends and decided to take some sample cologne without paying for it. We were caught, taken to the back room of the store and the police were involved. I don't believe I was officially arrested (weren't handcuffed, and went freely home the same day) but the officer did read us our Miranda rights. I was able to get a lawyer and get the case dropped. Meaning, I paid for the cologne and what not, and the prosecutor never filed charges (A compromise of misdemeanor), so my criminal record is completely clean at this point.

Now my question is, with my background of the event, do you think I will have to disclose this to the pharmacy school, and does anyone know if they ask for "arrests" on the UW supplemental application? I know it was completely irresponsible of me but I've learned from it and want to move on. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

This is kind of a tricky question! :( your record is completely clean, but something did happen. Now it goes down to ethics... if it doesn't show up anywhere, why should you let the schools know about this? OR some people might say that disclosing your record won't harm you in anyway, and you should mention it to your schools. Did you talk with your lawyer to see what he/she suggests?

Reactions: 1 user
if no record of crininal charge, why worry?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In football, "If it is not called, it is not a penalty"

wow pharmacy students are gonna be comprised of criminals...

That's tricky I agree that it does come down to ethics. It's whatever you believe is right. Maybe put no but explain it to them if you get an interview?

Seems like it would be foolish to bring it up

I wouldn't even mention it since there's nothing pointing to it. If they ask for arrest on the application don't mention it as technically you weren't arrested and case was dropped.

If they ask during the interview they know and I would just explain yourself and what you learned from it. I don't think that's too bad a charge anyhow but in healthcare they are really prejudice and that might just be enough if your on the borderline of acceptance.

I don't even understand why they need to see your arrest record. They should only be interested in criminal convictions or where someone pleas guilty to a crime. An arrest is nothing but an accusation, doesn't mean anything until you go to court.

Yeah unless someone have the money to get the case dropped. Than it might be useful as you have a person with a criminal background that has a clear record due to money and they are now working in your local pharmacy... o_O