Criminal Record

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phamula

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am filling out my app and it asks to list misdemeanors and felonies.

I was charged with a DUI, open container, underage, but the DUI was reduced to a reckless driving (misdemeanor class 1) and everything else was dropped.

Do I need to include in my application the details of what my charge initially was and what it got reduced to or can I just list the reckless driving without further details?

Other than that, I have no felonies on my record.

I got a copy of my criminal record and it lists what I was originally charged with and what it got reduced to, so whatever I am able to see on my record, is what the admissions people will see too I would assume.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm.....they're going to complete a full criminal background check on all accepted applicants. Be honest about everything. Tough call tho!

I am filling out my app and it asks to list misdemeanors and felonies.

I was charged with a DUI, open container, underage, but the DUI was reduced to a reckless driving (misdemeanor class 1) and everything else was dropped.

Do I need to include in my application the details of what my charge initially was and what it got reduced to or can I just list the reckless driving without further details?

Other than that, I have no felonies on my record.

I got a copy of my criminal record and it lists what I was originally charged with and what it got reduced to, so whatever I am able to see on my record, is what the admissions people will see too I would assume.

i think you should because the schools (i believe most, if not all) do background check on you once you are accepted/you enter.

if you dont list it, electronically sign your application, and they find out about it later, it shows you tried to hide it. i think you can get rejected for that. that would be the worst feeling--- accepted but then rejected...

i think its best to explain your situation. that's what i would do.

good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa, hope this would serve as an object lesson to us all ...

i think you should because the schools (i believe most, if not all) do background check on you once you are accepted/you enter.

if you dont list it, electronically sign your application, and they find out about it later, it shows you tried to hide it. i think you can get rejected for that. that would be the worst feeling--- accepted but then rejected...

i think its best to explain your situation. that's what i would do.

good luck! :)
Yeah, that's what I figured, but I just wanted to double check. If it came down to it, the bottom line is if I have a felony or not and what I've been like since my conviction of the reckless.

I am aware that they'll ask me to explain myself if I get an interview, and I'm prepared to answer them cause it'll blow my mind if they don't ask.

I didn't describe in my own words of the account, but I put down everything as it is on my record....complaint, date filed, date convicted, outcome of conviction

Yeah, that's what I figured, but I just wanted to double check. If it came down to it, the bottom line is if I have a felony or not and what I've been like since my conviction of the reckless.

I am aware that they'll ask me to explain myself if I get an interview, and I'm prepared to answer them cause it'll blow my mind if they don't ask.

I didn't describe in my own words of the account, but I put down everything as it is on my record....complaint, date filed, date convicted, outcome of conviction

I listed everything on my record with specific details so there is a thorough understanding during an interview.

If you were younger than 18 when the incident occurred, then you should be OK. Your juvenile record is kept confidential. Schools do not have access to this information. If this is the case, you should not even mention it on your application. Otherwise just be honest, explain your situation, and hope for the best.

If you were CONVICTED of the misdemeanor, then you must reveal this information.

Was def. convicted with an M1 at age 20, which was 2 years ago. no felony charges. I listed every detail.