Quantcast

Criteria for Screening on Secondary Apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minerva3121

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I'm aware that some schools "screen" applicants whereas others don't when they give out secondary applications. For the schools that do screen, what criteria do they use to pick secondary application recipients? Do they just look at GPA/MCAT or the entire application (including work/activities and the PS)?

sector9

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm aware that some schools "screen" applicants whereas others don't when they give out secondary applications. For the schools that do screen, what criteria do they use to pick secondary application recipients? Do they just look at GPA/MCAT or the entire application (including work/activities and the PS)?
UCSF screens for secondaries, and they say that they look at these things for their screening:

The Admissions Committee looks at:

• GPAs
  • MCAT scores
  • State of legal residency
  • Applicant's personal statement
  • The extent and depth of extracurricular activities
  • Work experience
  • Honors and awards
  • Student's background

edge of desire

Reaction score
which ones would you say use just gpa + mcat? and this is not assuming you get any weight for quality of ugrad.

latrala2300

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
which ones would you say use just gpa + mcat? and this is not assuming you get any weight for quality of ugrad.

UMiama has a GPA cutoff of 3.6ish for OOS applicants, IIRC. This is just an example, of course--it's hard to find published cutoffs. And the quality of undergrad is irrelevant in the screening process. If anywhere, it will help as ad coms review the files. Even at this latter stage of consideration, not all schools care.

edge of desire

Reaction score
i've heard that umiami used to cut off OOS for getting a 2ndary at 3.6, but their website now says that they no longer do this (started in 2010) - can anyone comment on whether they actually evaluate OOS'ers with <3.6 after receiving the 2ndary? i don't want to waste my money just because they "say" they'll actually consider me :(

Long Way to Go

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The MSAR will tell you which schools screen. From there, you can look at the schools' websites to find the criteria they use. It won't always be there, but it will be sometimes.

SoyRicoSuave

Reaction score
Besides UCSF most public schools have pretty lenient screening processes. If you actually do have a realistic chance pf getting into the school then you'll most likely get one. If you have doubts you'll even get a secondary from a school you want to get into, well then ur probably just wasting your money regardless if you get one or not.

Donnie1310

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The screening is really varied. Some use min GPA/MCAT (usually quite low), while some are even more selective. Vanderbilt's secondary comes with an interview invite, so you can imagine how selective that one is.