critical classmates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subtropicmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ever notice that classmates you rotate with can be more critical than the residents or attending?

Members don't see this ad.

Totally noticed that. It really sucks. However, look at it from the bright side: they are not gonna write you an evaluation, are they? :smuggrin:

You seem to have a bunch of a-holes in your class. That sucks.

There is no reason for one classmate to rip another publicly. If one student has made a mistake that might jeopardize patient care the other students should act to remedy the situation, but in a non-embarrassing, non-confrontational way. Short of patients' well-being being in jeopardy, a student should not address the other students' performance.

When I'm a resident those types will definitely get negative comments on their evals in the context of being a poor team player and unpleasant to work with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Telemachus said:
You seem to have a bunch of a-holes in your class. That sucks.

There is no reason for one classmate to rip another publicly. If one student has made a mistake that might jeopardize patient care the other students should act to remedy the situation, but in a non-embarrassing, non-confrontational way. Short of patients' well-being being in jeopardy, a student should not address the other students' performance.

When I'm a resident those types will definitely get negative comments on their evals in the context of being a poor team player and unpleasant to work with.

Well, my classmates do always correct my mistakes that would jeopardize patient care. 'Cause you know someone will die if I print single-sided instead of double-sided.

The next time they correct your 'mistakes', just tell them this.

"I appreciate your help, but in the future, if you have something to say to me, write it down on a piece of paper, read it to yourself to make sure it is what you want to say, then hand it to me silently. If you can do that then it would be a great help."

when i saw this thread i had to post....there are a couple of ppl in my class that have a habit of ripping on other students' performances...funnily enough, they don't like any commentary on their performance, and get very defensive at even benign remarks or suggestions....there was this one girl that pissed me off so much with her snippy little comments about other students behind their backs to the residents (which i think is the lowest way of hurting a student's rep) that i finally made a comment about it in front of her and one of our residents, basically saying "people who resort to such devices are trying to promote themselves by making others look bad"....and then she spouted off some **** about "i'd like to think we could tell each other when we're doing something wrong to improve patient care"....what a load of crap, esp. since how's a person supposed to improve their performance and patient care when everything that's said is behind their back....and of course, she proceeded to climb up the resident's butt and make a home there....ugh!!...how do these ppl not get screened during the interview process???

Most residents were medical students themselves but a few short years prior, so you'd think they would ordinarily be able to see through that crap. If I had a classmate do that to me publically then the first time I would take them aside in private and let them know that if they ever did that again in public all bets are off and like treatment can be expected.

mintleaf80 said:
ugh!!...how do these ppl not get screened during the interview process???

Because they are good at kissing bum. That is what makes them feel good.

Ice-1 said:
Most residents were medical students themselves but a few short years prior, so you'd think they would ordinarily be able to see through that crap. If I had a classmate do that to me publically then the first time I would take them aside in private and let them know that if they ever did that again in public all bets are off and like treatment can be expected.

Unless they WERE that student when they were in med school.