Critics of Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sigh... ppl, there's no point in comparing OD to OMD. Please just research the disparity in salary, which is pretty self-explainatory who is much superior. If the income level were close at all, then we might have an argument, but when they make 3-4 times we do on average, it's safe to say they take the cake on this one. Just my opinion. 2 more years until I can become OMD's little bitch.. yay :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

sigh... ppl, there's no point in comparing OD to OMD. Please just research the disparity in salary, which is pretty self-explainatory who is much superior. If the income level were close at all, then we might have an argument, but when they make 3-4 times we do on average, it's safe to say they take the cake on this one. Just my opinion. 2 more years until I can become OMD's little bitch.. yay :hardy:

As our country moves closer and closer towards socialized medicine :mad: this gap will close. (Look at how much docs make in eastern Europe and Russia. OMDs in eastern Europe only need 3 years of post high-school training so that helps. (I worked with one) There are docs in both camps who do very well. Personally, I care less about money and more about doing what I like. (as long as you still make a comfortable salary)

If there is no point in comparing OD to OMD then why did you open the thread? Why don't you apply to MD school right now and stop whinning? Look at the bright side you'll be making 3-4 tims as much when you get out.

Members don't see this ad :)

Salary has absolutely nothing to do with who is "superior". And if you already view your self as a future "OMD's little bitch"... why are you in this profession?

..and I thought it was only ODs selling out to wally-world. This quote is off of wally's web site.

"There are Vision Centers in over 2,000 Wal-Mart stores nationwide, each with a licensed optometrist or ophthalmologist on staff to provide the care you need for healthy eyes and clear vision."

They have NPs and PAs coming in in droves, who will they get next?

..and I thought it was only ODs selling out to wally-world. This quote is off of wally's web site.

"There are Vision Centers in over 2,000 Wal-Mart stores nationwide, each with a licensed optometrist or ophthalmologist on staff to provide the care you need for healthy eyes and clear vision."

They have NPs and PAs coming in in droves, who will they get next?

great more competition, i cant even get a job at walmart without running into a MD? just great

Salary has absolutely nothing to do with who is "superior". And if you already view your self as a future "OMD's little bitch"... why are you in this profession?

Well, I dont see many ODs employ OMDs, but I do see a lot of OMDs employ ODs. So that makes me their lil' bitch... haha. I know it sucks to realize this fact, but OMDs are just superior to us at least to most of the general public. Yes I know, the truth hurts.... :smuggrin:

Well, I dont see many ODs employ OMDs, but I do see a lot of OMDs employ ODs. So that makes me their lil' bitch... haha. I know it sucks to realize this fact, but OMDs are just superior to us at least to most of the general public. Yes I know, the truth hurts.... :smuggrin:
Actually, the general public on average has no clue what the difference is between OD's and OMD's. And if you consider yourself the little bitch of OMD's that's all you'll ever be.

Man, why are you an "OD hopeful". With that kind of attitude you might end up spinning dials at wally or another commercial joint. I feel that OMDs are in no way superior, just different. I would consider ODs "superior" at primary care if you think about the most common presenting conditions.

That's is why we should be friends with OMDs and stop picking fights. You can have a great symbiotic relationships with them. Experienced OMDs know this, that is why I have had great relationships with them. They take care of the surgeries and you take care of the RGPs for those post transplant corneas patients with high astigmatism. The OMDs won't want to waste time fitting RGPs on their patients, they'll be off to the next surgery, and personally I think it's lots of fun doing this. Same applies with binocular vision optometrists and Ped surgeons. Too much fighting going on here too and the only ones shooting themselves in the foot are the BV ODs, the Ped surgeons will just replace therapists with licensed orthoptists.

I agree with you. I wish they would just leave us alone to do all the primary care stuff because I don't wanna do the stuff they do anyways. However, they want to sell glasses and CL too which eats into my income, ALOT. I think if all OMDs close their optical, then I think most ODs would stop fighting for surgical rights coz there be more glasses to be sold so they would have less time thinking about surgery. And honestly, I'd say 99% of the people in medical field is in it for the money, so some of you people need to stop lying to yourself. Whoever makes more is superior, period. Shoot, if I make 1/2 mil a year then I would think I'm superior to most OMDs. Am I being too honest??

Actually, the general public on average has no clue what the difference is between OD's and OMD's. And if you consider yourself the little bitch of OMD's that's all you'll ever be.

I dont wanna be like that either, but that's what i've heard from many employeed ODs that they get treated like a lil' bitch, but they take it coz if they dont want the job, some other OD would love to have that job. This is all due to "OVERSUPPLY".... sigh... and that's just the way it is. U think if you start arguing to an OMD how superior u are at primary care he'll actually care. He'll probably just tell u to STFU. Why did I go to extra schooling and spend all these extra money just to be a part of the oversupply problem. I thought I was meeting a demand, but looks like i'm just adding fuel to an inferno....... I'm gonna go study for the stupid boards now...

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont wanna be like that either, but that's what i've heard from many employeed ODs that they get treated like a lil' bitch, but they take it coz if they dont want the job, some other OD would love to have that job. This is all due to "OVERSUPPLY".... sigh... and that's just the way it is. U think if you start arguing to an OMD how superior u are at primary care he'll actually care. He'll probably just tell u to STFU. Why did I go to extra schooling and spend all these extra money just to be a part of the oversupply problem. I thought I was meeting a demand, but looks like i'm just adding fuel to an inferno....... I'm gonna go study for the stupid boards now...

It's true we get told there is a "demand" for optometrists.

ODhopeful,

Either you are not really a person desiring the privilege of becoming a doctor of optometry and just spreading derogatory anti-optometry rhetoric or you are going into the wrong field. If you really feel the way your posts collectivley represent then you should just go to medical school and hopefully have a high enough class rank and USMLE to go to an ophalmology residency because you are going to be miserable being an optometrist.

What gives?

as long as one doesnt feel hopeless then its ok. optometrist needs to feel like the underdog so that we can take the fight to the MDs! we have to feel threaten and angry and unlike the MDs who also feel the sameway, we are fighting for our survival and not our egoes.

ODhopeful,

Either you are not really a person desiring the privilege of becoming a doctor of optometry and just spreading derogatory anti-optometry rhetoric or you are going into the wrong field. If you really feel the way your posts collectivley represent then you should just go to medical school and hopefully have a high enough class rank and USMLE to go to an ophalmology residency because you are going to be miserable being an optometrist.

What gives?

But I don't wanna go through med school either and have hours like a lot of MDs do. I guess I'm just lazy and wish making a living was easier without all the drama involved. Should've gone to dental school, but I don't wanna have bad backs and look at ppl's nasty mouth all day. I guess I'm just a person that wants to take the easy way out. Any advice anyone???

Yeah...grow up!

But I don't wanna go through med school either and have hours like a lot of MDs do. I guess I'm just lazy and wish making a living was easier without all the drama involved. Should've gone to dental school, but I don't wanna have bad backs and look at ppl's nasty mouth all day. I guess I'm just a person that wants to take the easy way out. Any advice anyone???

Take a year off and figure out what you want to do with your life. Yes, you have invested A LOT of time and money, but from what it sounds like you still have two years to go and already know this isn't the profession for you. Just as you should be happy with your chosen career path, the profession should be filled by individuals who don't blindly accept the status quo but instead develop a very specific plan as to how they can overcome it.

Pre-optometry students... do your research!!! It is no one's responsibility but your own to understand what you are getting yourself into.

so what is worst, being OMD's little bitch or working for walmart?

walmart, hands down.

ODhopeful, I hope you are making it up that you are in OD school. Hopefully you're an OMD just screwing around. Perhaps you'll make some commercial joint a lot of money at the expense of the profession.

walmart, hands down.

so you would rather have a satisfied optometrist who likes the profession then a someone who hates optometry and rather be an MD's lapdog?

arent we taking the hating walmart ODs a bit too far.

Public awareness! Think about it. In the US, for example, how many little kids or teens out there, grow up even contemplating optometry school? Probably very few. Why? The sad truth is: there are no TV shows about optometrists, pharmacists, vets, PTs, chiros.

New this fall, "House: OD". Coming this summer on NBC, "Chicago Chiro Hope". Instead of "ER", what about a new show about PAs called "ER jr"? See my point? Unfortunately, research shows that coveted career paths (those with the most exposure due to early desire) are formed by exposure in the public culture (usually TV, books, movies) or exposure from the career dirctly (usually from parents who work in that profession or close associates).

In other words, if little Johnny doesn't see "House OD" every week, portraying optometry as fascinating and cool, or "House Rx", and his mommy/daddy/auntie/grandma aren't working as PharmDs, or ODs, then how would he know about them? Why would he care?

And...you'd be surprised how many so called educated Americans have no clue what kind of training you guys go through. None. All you do is turn dials and sell glasses, right? All pharmacists do is count pills, right? I'm an MD and JD. My fiance is a PharmD and MPH. We were at a wedding recently and sitting next to this couple in their 50s. I'm 36 and my fiance is 32. We were talking about careers. The guy, who was an assistant school principal, with a master's, and his wife, a teacher with a master's, actually thought law school was a one-year degree "like a master's degree" and that pharmacy school was like a six month "vocational degree" like from ITT or something. Once we told them, they were shocked both professions required a doctorate, etc.

Don't end up being like so many chiros.
Peace,
Zack
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Enjoyed reading your posts! words of da wise man!

Once you're out in the real world working, supporting your family, mistresses, name calling and the power to rx are the last thing that you'd have in mind!

I am starting my second year in optometry, and you couldn't have said it any better. Thank you.

Take a year off and figure out what you want to do with your life. Yes, you have invested A LOT of time and money, but from what it sounds like you still have two years to go and already know this isn't the profession for you. Just as you should be happy with your chosen career path, the profession should be filled by individuals who don't blindly accept the status quo but instead develop a very specific plan as to how they can overcome it.

Pre-optometry students... do your research!!! It is no one's responsibility but your own to understand what you are getting yourself into.

I'm not gonna take a yr off coz like u said, I've already spend all these extra time so I need to hurry up n graduate so I can make some phat dough. I'm pretty sure this is the profession for me coz it's hella easy and pays decent. I wish there weren't so much competition tho. If you pay for my year off to do some soul-searching then I'll consider... :laugh:

OMDs lil' bitch coz I can't speak Spanish and I don't know where most of you ppl live but in Texas, walmart = high class Mexican flea market, which I visit quite often actually. I love walmart, just don't wanna work there :love:

walmart, hands down.

ODhopeful, I hope you are making it up that you are in OD school. Hopefully you're an OMD just screwing around. Perhaps you'll make some commercial joint a lot of money at the expense of the profession.

Sure enough I'm in optometry school, going on 3rd year. yah!!! 2 more years until "you know what". Look me up.. UHCO class 2009. I really want a private practice job, but it just sounds like all the old docs offer crappy salary w/o benefits n stuff like that. I've also heard its really difficult to come by. Any private docs in this forum need a new grad in 2 years and willing to pay a decent salary, ie >75k, with benefits please let me know and I'll gladly work superhard for ya for 40 hrs/wk. Sigh... probably no takers.... coz I know most private docs just wanna pay me 50K or less w/o benefits. :confused:

lol...with students like this, our profession is doomed

Indeed, I don't know how he/she passed any English classes! Hopefully, I definitely don't think you are working your way into any job offers on here. If all you want is money, why didn't you spend a lot less money and save 2 years with an MBA?

Indeed, I don't know how he/she passed any English classes! Hopefully, I definitely don't think you are working your way into any job offers on here. If all you want is money, why didn't you spend a lot less money and save 2 years with an MBA?

I passed all my English class... with C's :smuggrin:, so the real problem here is that on this forum there's no spell/grammar check so of course ppl are gonna make mistakes. I don't just want money, I wanna help ppl too and I like all the stuff that comes with being an OD. I just feel like there should be a certain level of income guaranteed once we graduate, I'm not talking about $40,000 guarantee, but like closer to 6 figures in any modes of practices. However, all I hear are good paying corporate jobs and crappy private jobs. Yet everyone looks down on corporate jobs, so I'm just asking if any docs would hire a new graduate with similar salary/benefits as commercial places. I just like to bitch... ALOT, so I figure I belong on this forum... LOL

Naive students that don't really understand the state of optometry will cause optometry to sink to the bottom of the ocean. Honestly, most ppl in my class don't even research their "career" at all, so at least I know optometry better than those super-optimistic ODs. They will receive the brunt of the real-world optometry, not me coz I'll be prepared to embrace it.

haha they would need a lot more drive to get into a respectable business school.

BTW, ppl who go into business school are driven by MONEY, u think they wanna help ppl??? haha.. So in that sense I have much drive for business school. Optometry is a business/quasi-health profession. Am I in the wrong business?? I wonder

haha they would need a lot more drive to get into a respectable business school.

BTW, ppl in business school are driven by "MONEY", so I should have lots of drive in that sense right?? I don't think ppl in business school wanna help others. Optometry is a business first, then quasi-health field second in my opinion coz we're always trying to sell stuff to ppl. Am I mistaken?? so I guess optometry is not a bad choice for me.

BTW, ppl in business school are driven by "MONEY", so I should have lots of drive in that sense right??.

they also dont whine like little girls. sorry pal, optometry is the best you will ever do, welcome to your hell on earth.

they also dont whine like little girls. sorry pal, optometry is the best you will ever do, welcome to your hell on earth.

LOL. It's kinda like "u thought Opt school was hell, wait till u graduate"... I seriously hope ur wrong, but I have a feeling u know what ur saying... sigh..

LOL. It's kinda like "u thought Opt school was hell, wait till u graduate"... I seriously hope ur wrong, but I have a feeling u know what ur saying... sigh..

I worry about that too.. I have no intention of being the average OD. You have you make optometry what you want it to be. No one said success was easy. Luckily, I'm single and don't have mouths to feed so Wal-mart will not get me!

Join the military...:scared:

I don't get why you are so bent on calling yourself OMDs lil' bitch... You can be anyone's bitch if you let it. Go to New York. Lots of recent O.D. Grads are an Optician's Bitch! You can also be Walmart's Bitch. Or you can be an O.D.'s Bitch! Personally I think these are the worst because there is nothing more depressing than having your own kind stab you in the back. Have some dignity and stop whinning!

I have a feeling you have another problem. Did you just fail a class? Is a clinician hazing you? Did your significant other dump you? (was he/she an OMD?) ...

A previous poster suggested going to the military. Officer's Training should cure this chronic case of whinning in no time flat.

this is the best thread I've read in awhile :) good stuff

Join the military...:scared:

Excuse me for getting off topic, sir, (the whinning is getting annoying). Could you explain to me why people complain about the Ahlta so much? I personally like the CPRS but I hear the Ahlta is different.

Excuse me for getting off topic, sir, (the whinning is getting annoying). Could you explain to me why people complain about the Ahlta so much? I personally like the CPRS but I hear the Ahlta is different.

You should repost this question in the military medicine forum. :luck:

You should repost this question in the military medicine forum. :luck:

Thanks, Sir. Found this is a common topic there and all my questions were answered by previous threads.

BTW, ppl who go into business school are driven by MONEY, u think they wanna help ppl??? haha.. So in that sense I have much drive for business school. Optometry is a business/quasi-health profession. Am I in the wrong business?? I wonder

Yikes! Be careful about getting into the mindset of calling it quasi-health profession, wait 'til you get the RD lawsuit, then it will hit you it was all about the health. Pushing the frame$$ will be a tiny whiny memory in comparison.

I passed all my English class... with C's :smuggrin:, so the real problem here is that on this forum there's no spell/grammar check so of course ppl are gonna make mistakes. I don't just want money, I wanna help ppl too and I like all the stuff that comes with being an OD. I just feel like there should be a certain level of income guaranteed once we graduate, I'm not talking about $40,000 guarantee, but like closer to 6 figures in any modes of practices. However, all I hear are good paying corporate jobs and crappy private jobs. Yet everyone looks down on corporate jobs, so I'm just asking if any docs would hire a new graduate with similar salary/benefits as commercial places. I just like to bitch... ALOT, so I figure I belong on this forum... LOL

There is a spell check. Look at the top right corner of your box while you are typing. Look at the check mark with the ABC.

There are NO guarantees for anyone. That's just the way things are in the world. Your combination of "needs" are tangible in this profession, you'll just have to hit the pavement and do interviews, get rejections, get accepted, find out you didn't like that job and start all over again looking. I've heard it takes about 5 years after you graduate to finally get settled into something you really like. One day I saw a TV show on homeless people and they were interviewing this guy who was an M.D. and for some bad luck ended up on the streets homeless. The journalist checked him out so he was legitimate, I mean wasn't a whaco making things up. Nobody gets a ticket to Guaranteeville. Just get a game plan going, think about the subspecialties, no need for residencies just working for someone in that field is good and the knowledge could rub off. Think of special populations to serve, working class vs the upper class, actually the military wasn't a joke by DiveMD. There are reserves, GS civilians don't have to go to war, Indian reservations, federal government hospitals, there are a couple of gov't funded orphanages that hire optometrists every couple of months or so I forgot where I saw the ad (I think it was the VOSH website, these are paying jobs). Before I went to optometry school and finishing up under grad. After checking his specialty out, laser, cataracts, retina, etc… I used to go to an ophthalmologist's office and ask for a consultation (an appointment) like a patient would. When time came for my appointment I would just tell them "hey you look like you have a really nice office and I'm finishing school to become an optometrist can I work for you p/t?" It never failed. And after OD school, guess again, it didn't fail me, I just aimed for the best guy in town this time, I knew he was optometry friendly cause he has 2 licensed ODs there already. And guess what, newbie here got hired. I already knew this OMDs reputation so I knew it was going to be a very pleasant environment. So what I'm saying is get a game plan and you should be O.K. There are OMDs that treat O.D. like Bitches but guess what there are O.D.s that treat O.D.s like Bitches too – maybe even more so, because financially they are hurting more and hanging on tighter to their wallets. So there is a lot to think about, so stop whinning (you are on victim mode) and get a game plan (attack mode).

Thanks, Sir. Found this is a common topic there and all my questions were answered by previous threads.

Yikes! Be careful about getting into the mindset of calling it quasi-health profession, wait 'til you get the RD lawsuit, then it will hit you it was all about the health. Pushing the frame$$ will be a tiny whiny memory in comparison.

There is a spell check. Look at the top right corner of your box while you are typing. Look at the check mark with the ABC.

There are NO guarantees for anyone. That’s just the way things are in the world. Your combination of “needs” are tangible in this profession, you’ll just have to hit the pavement and do interviews, get rejections, get accepted, find out you didn’t like that job and start all over again looking. I’ve heard it takes about 5 years after you graduate to finally get settled into something you really like. One day I saw a TV show on homeless people and they were interviewing this guy who was an M.D. and for some bad luck ended up on the streets homeless. The journalist checked him out so he was legitimate, I mean wasn’t a whaco making things up. Nobody gets a ticket to Guaranteeville. Just get a game plan going, think about the subspecialties, no need for residencies just working for someone in that field is good and the knowledge could rub off. Think of special populations to serve, working class vs the upper class, actually the military wasn’t a joke by DiveMD. There are reserves, GS civilians don't have to go to war, Indian reservations, federal government hospitals, there are a couple of gov't funded orphanages that hire optometrists every couple of months or so I forgot where I saw the ad (I think it was the VOSH website, these are paying jobs). Before I went to optometry school and finishing up under grad. After checking his specialty out, laser, cataracts, retina, etc… I used to go to an ophthalmologist’s office and ask for a consultation (an appointment) like a patient would. When time came for my appointment I would just tell them "hey you look like you have a really nice office and I’m finishing school to become an optometrist can I work for you p/t?" It never failed. And after OD school, guess again, it didn’t fail me, I just aimed for the best guy in town this time, I knew he was optometry friendly cause he has 2 licensed ODs there already. And guess what, newbie here got hired. I already knew this OMDs reputation so I knew it was going to be a very pleasant environment. So what I’m saying is get a game plan and you should be O.K. There are OMDs that treat O.D. like Bitches but guess what there are O.D.s that treat O.D.s like Bitches too – maybe even more so, because financially they are hurting more and hanging on tighter to their wallets. So there is a lot to think about, so stop whinning (you are on victim mode) and get a game plan (attack mode).

FYI:

http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/jo...rt=rv&vw=d&brd=3876&ss=0&FedPub=Y&q=optometry

There are NO guarantees for anyone. That’s just the way things are in the world. Your combination of “needs” are tangible in this profession, you’ll just have to hit the pavement and do interviews, get rejections, get accepted, find out you didn’t like that job and start all over again looking. I’ve heard it takes about 5 years after you graduate to finally get settled into something you really like. One day I saw a TV show on homeless people and they were interviewing this guy who was an M.D. and for some bad luck ended up on the streets homeless. The journalist checked him out so he was legitimate, I mean wasn’t a whaco making things up. Nobody gets a ticket to Guaranteeville. Just get a game plan going, think about the subspecialties, no need for residencies just working for someone in that field is good and the knowledge could rub off. Think of special populations to serve, working class vs the upper class, actually the military wasn’t a joke by DiveMD. There are reserves, GS civilians don't have to go to war, Indian reservations, federal government hospitals, there are a couple of gov't funded orphanages that hire optometrists every couple of months or so I forgot where I saw the ad (I think it was the VOSH website, these are paying jobs). Before I went to optometry school and finishing up under grad. After checking his specialty out, laser, cataracts, retina, etc… I used to go to an ophthalmologist’s office and ask for a consultation (an appointment) like a patient would. When time came for my appointment I would just tell them "hey you look like you have a really nice office and I’m finishing school to become an optometrist can I work for you p/t?" It never failed. And after OD school, guess again, it didn’t fail me, I just aimed for the best guy in town this time, I knew he was optometry friendly cause he has 2 licensed ODs there already. And guess what, newbie here got hired. I already knew this OMDs reputation so I knew it was going to be a very pleasant environment. So what I’m saying is get a game plan and you should be O.K. There are OMDs that treat O.D. like Bitches but guess what there are O.D.s that treat O.D.s like Bitches too – maybe even more so, because financially they are hurting more and hanging on tighter to their wallets. So there is a lot to think about, so stop whinning (you are on victim mode) and get a game plan (attack mode).

Ok fine, I'll stop bitching and whinning. I don't feel like studying for the boards yet so I got nothing to do other then bitch n' moan about optometry. I guess not everyone wanna hear what I gotta say. :smuggrin: