Critique My Curriculum Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1087654

Hello!

I am a non-trad student interested in med school. Could you critique my curriculum plan?

The journey so far: cGPA 3.9, sGPA 4.0, very little relevant experience

Fall 17 - Spring 20: Pursued undergrad with major in Spanish and minor in French. Founded a debate team, did a couple hundred volunteer hours, held work-study jobs (mostly TA stuff). Busiest semester was 22 credit hours.

Summer 20 - Fall 20:
Entered liver failure without a diagnosable cause. Met some great doctors. Thought, "Wow, I wanna do that if I live!" Lived.

Spring 21: Returned to class under the supervision of a transplant team. Took Spanish class, Bio1, Gchem1&2, Calculus1. Did work-study as a Spanish TA.

Summer 21: Took Phys 1, writing seminar. Now shadowing a transplant surgeon.

My plan: MCAT readiness, making sure I love the profession, etc.

Fall 21: Take Ochem1, Ichem, Spanish class. Do work-study as a Spanish TA. Shadow rural primary care physician. Volunteer with human trafficking hotline. Prepare for state medical interpreter exam. This is my last semester at my undergrad before graduating. I will have to take the rest of my classes at community college.

Spring 22:
Take Phys2, Biochem1, Stats. Work in clinical setting (interpreting if possible). Shadow another physician. Volunteer with human trafficking hotline.

Summer 22: Take Psychology and Sociology. Work in clinical setting (interpreting). Volunteer with human trafficking hotline.

Fall 22: Take Bio2, Genetics, Biochem2. Continue work/volunteering.

Spring 23: Prep for MCAT. Continue work/volunteering. Maybe do research?

Summer 23 - Take MCAT and apply for med school.

End

I understand I could shove Bio2 into Spring 22 and technically be MCAT-ready by Summer 22. (I hear Psychology and Sociology are not strictly necessary, and that I could delay Stats until after the MCAT.) That would allow me to apply for school in Summer 22, too. But I worry that I would apply in that scenario with very little clinical experience, very little health-oriented volunteering experience, and certainly no research experience. Why rush for bad results?

DISCLAIMER: I know this is what pre-med advisors are for, but my school has notoriously unresponsive pre-med advisors. Sorry, not getting any help from them.

Any thoughts appreciated. I look forward to your critiques!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a 4-year school you could take the rest of your prereqs at? Prereqs at a CC are a big turn off for some schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Your plan looks fine but I would move you MCAT to April 23 so you have your results in may before applications open. Get a subscription of the AAMC MSAR to find out if programs you are interested in accept CC classes - some programs state a preference / requirement that classes be completed at a 4 year university. Also use it to find out if you need ochem 2 or if biochem is sufficient. Personally I would not take psych and soc unless you have a specific requirement for social science hours.Research isn’t necessary as a nontrad but can be helpful as 85%+ students seem to have it.