Critique my DIY post-bacc workload

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

putmeincoach

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a recent nursing school graduate planning on applying to medical school (MD or DO). Is the workload in my diy post-bacc reasonable? Will I have free time to work (casual/part-time)/research/volunteer? Feel free to suggest any changes :)

Fall 2017:
Bio I (w/ lab), G-Chem I (w/ lab), Physics I (w/ lab)

Winter 2018:
Bio II (w/ lab), G-ChemII (w/ lab), Physics II (w/ lab)

Spring/Summer 2018:
O-Chem I (w/ lab), English I, Math I

Fall 2018:
O-Chem II (w/ lab), English II, Biochemistry (no lab), Math II

Winter 2019:
MCAT – Study January-March 2019. Write end of March -> scores out by May, send App May 2019

*I'm planning on studying lightly for the MCAT during my courses (eg. referencing coursework in an MCAT review book), is this a good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure you'll be able to find wintermester classes for bio2, gchem2, and physics2.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh, I see. Well, it might throw a wrench in your scheduling since I'm not sure if you can fit it all in. My school won't let me schedule any classes that would overlap. It's also extremely rigorous for a wintermester if you plan to do it.

Isn't Winter semester only a few weeks? Hard to imagine taking all those classes and retaining anything in such a short period of time.

Ahh, I see. Well, it might throw a wrench in your scheduling since I'm not sure if you can fit it all in. My school won't let me schedule any classes that would overlap. It's also extremely rigorous for a wintermester if you plan to do it.
Mmm, I see. Thanks for the input :)

I think a lot depends on how rigorous your school is, how difficult you find the classes, and what additional things you are doing during that time.

I did three classes during the fall semester - Advanced Biochem 1, Cell Bio (with lab), and Genetics (with lab). I had to commute 2.5 hours to school (no exaggeration -BUT I stayed with family during the week, then went back home). I volunteered at the hospital on the weekends. I also tried to go into work Friday through Monday. I ended up getting sick - really, really sick - for 6 weeks or even longer. It eventually was too much. BUT - I think you can make it work if you do it right.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot depends on the rigor of the courses. I know some Ochem profs that are basically blow off classes and some that basically require 50 hrs per week to ace, same with physics.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I'm a recent nursing school graduate planning on applying to medical school (MD or DO). Is the workload in my diy post-bacc reasonable? Will I have free time to work (casual/part-time)/research/volunteer? Feel free to suggest any changes :)

Fall 2017:
Bio I (w/ lab), G-Chem I (w/ lab), Physics I (w/ lab)

Winter 2018:
Bio II (w/ lab), G-ChemII (w/ lab), Physics II (w/ lab)

Spring/Summer 2018:
O-Chem I (w/ lab), English I, Math I

Fall 2018:
O-Chem II (w/ lab), English II, Biochemistry (no lab), Math II

Winter 2019:
MCAT – Study January-March 2019. Write end of March -> scores out by May, send App May 2019

*I'm planning on studying lightly for the MCAT during my courses (eg. referencing coursework in an MCAT review book), is this a good idea?

There's nothing wrong with your plan. Most formal post-baccs get it all done in a year, so your two year plan is fine provided you don't have too many outside obligations (e.g. kids). I do recommend working as a nurse though. That satisfies your need for clinical exposure and will let you make the case that you gave nursing a shot and came to the conclusion medicine is better for you, as opposed to having just used the nursing degree as a stepping stone.

Reactions: 1 users
Looks good...but I have the exact same plan so I might be a bit biased.

I think I will be adding "Soc 101" or "Psych 101" to my Fall 2017 semester and the other to my Spring 2018 semester.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile