Critique my ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mental_alchemy

the lost tapes
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A few critiques:
First of all, they don't really care all that much about what you are doing during your gap year (especially given that you are completing a master's program), they merely look to evaluate you based on what you have completed already. With that in mind...

One of the big questions you have to ask yourself is what makes you special/ distinguishes you from all the other applicants? That doesn't leap out right away, which is slightly concerning (although to be fair, you do have great clinical experience).

As to my evaluation: Research is ok, not great, shadowing is also ok, non clinical volunteering is slightly sparse. It depends on what tier of school you are shooting for. Will this get you into Harvard? Probably not. Will this get you into a medical school, probably, assuming everything else is in order as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Your ECs scream checklist. I know, it's a checklist for everyone to an extent. Still, I would work on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your ECs scream checklist. I know, it's a checklist for everyone to an extent. Still, I would work on that.

Its the insight we gain and the realizations we stumble upon while filling out our checklist that matter. To some extent, we are all guilty of checklisting. The OP has more EC's than the average applicant, IMO.

Reactions: 2 users
From a superficial glance: excellent clinical, great research, good leadership, and good non-clinical experiences. Light non-clinical volunteering, but its there, so I highly doubt that will stop you. Be sure to mention any cool hobbies or interests if you have them.

A few critiques:
First of all, they don't really care all that much about what you are doing during your gap year (especially given that you are completing a master's program), they merely look to evaluate you based on what you have completed already. With that in mind...

One of the big questions you have to ask yourself is what makes you special/ distinguishes you from all the other applicants? That doesn't leap out right away, which is slightly concerning (although to be fair, you do have great clinical experience).

As to my evaluation: Research is ok, not great, shadowing is also ok, non clinical volunteering is slightly sparse. It depends on what tier of school you are shooting for. Will this get you into Harvard? Probably not. Will this get you into a medical school, probably, assuming everything else is in order as well.

You don't need to be incredibly unique to get into medical school - as long as you can talk about your experiences eloquently you are good to go, and OP is definitely good to go.

FYI I had similar experiences, ones that you would likely categorize as "checklisty", but I interviewed at multiple "top schools" and was accepted to a couple. I had average stats for those schools as well. Its all about what you learn from, and subsequently say about, your experiences.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I really like your 1000+ hours as retail manager. It speaks volumes about your communication skills and leadership abilities.

Having 3 poster presentations is also great, but my concern is whether they're all relevant to the same project. Having separate entries for each poster that's essentially on the same project can be seen as fluffing . . . neurotic, I know lol. It doesn't really matter how many projects you are on, so long as your experience was meaningful and you can speak intelligently about it.

Overall, the hours are great. Whether it'll help distinguish you from the rest of the pack is unclear without more information. After all, hours can't distinguish between being a glorified housekeeper in an ER or something as magnificent as a doula. Nor can it distinguish from a 3 month sprint or a 2 year continuous commitment. It depends how you write about it from here on out, as well as your personal statement.

But just keep doing what you like and find interesting. Since you have a wide range of activities covered already and alot of hours, pick a couple that you find most memorable and that you think will define you as a person/applicant.

Might I recommend continuing with the research and see if you get opportunities to train people (counts as leadership), or get a higher authorship, or publication... Anything else is up to you. : P

You need to demonstrate your altruism. That is absolutely crucial. Do your EC's do that? They might but the lack of volunteering outside of a clinical setting makes it more difficult.

Thank you everyone for your input. While I have your attention, I might as well share my stats: cGPA and sGPA 3.5-3.6 and MCAT 30-31 from 2014. I am planning on taking the new MCAT to have it ready in case this cycle does not go well.

I applied last cycle to MD programs, and received interviews relatively late, both of which resulted in waitlists (that I'm currently on).

I debated if I should apply during or after completing the master's (which I will begin this fall), but in an attempt to save a year, I think I'll apply during the program, at least to schools I have been waitlisted at, and my state schools (FL resident). I am aiming for low to mid tier MD programs.

As far as my ECs go, I involved myself in activities that I was passionate about, but as any other pre-med, I want to make sure I am putting myself in the best position as an applicant. What can I do to make myself standout? My stats are average, so want to make sure I have something to get me over the hump. My retail manager position has allowed me to work on many skills, and I have talked about that in my application. My research has been for 2 projects, and I received an award for one my poster presentations.

From the advice I have received, I feel I need to prioritize non-clinical volunteering (thinking of tutoring/mentoring children), while continuing research and shadowing different fields.

Let me know what you think of my plans. If you would like me to share more details, please feel free to PM me. Once again I appreciate the advice.

Edit nevermind.

Master's wont don't anything for your app. Re-apply. Apply on time, apply with a broad list(20+ schools) you should get II's. I wouldn't wait a year to apply again unless there's something really significant you would be doing the next 2 years(and whatever you mentioned isn't it)

Not even a master's from a top 3 public health school? But if that's the case, I will submit my AMCAS asap to be verified. I will post my school list here for critique.

Any other opinions?

This has been discussed at length many times. MPH's don't do much at all to boost MD applications. There are valid reasons for getting one outside of boosting MD chances if that's what your interested in but that's not going to be what helps you this cycle.

Add all your state schools.