Critique my school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unknown786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian applicant with the following stats: 3.77cGPA, 3.65sGPA and 29P (11/7/11). I have 100+ hrs of hospital volunteering, 1 year of basic science research experience, 1 year of clinical research experience (some case reports and 2 original articles submitted for publication), 3600 hrs of tutoring, president of uni charity club for 2 years and other minor leadership roles here and there. I have decided to apply to the following schools:
MSU-COM
AZCOM
CCOM
KCUMB
NOVA
Touro-NY
Western
LMU
I am really scared about that 7 in VR. Do most of these schools care about the score in subsection, especially VR? Will it be worth retaking the MCAT in Sep to up it by 2/3 points at the risk of being late in the cycle or should I be fine with this score? What other low-tier schools can I apply to?

Any advice will be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am a Canadian applicant with the following stats: 3.77cGPA, 3.65sGPA and 29P (11/7/11). I have 100+ hrs of hospital volunteering, 1 year of basic science research experience, 1 year of clinical research experience (some case reports and 2 original articles submitted for publication), 3600 hrs of tutoring, president of uni charity club for 2 years and other minor leadership roles here and there. I have decided to apply to the following schools:
MSU-COM
AZCOM
CCOM
KCUMB
NOVA
Touro-NY
Western
LMU
I am really scared about that 7 in VR. Do most of these schools care about the score in subsection, especially VR? Will it be worth retaking the MCAT in Sep to up it by 2/3 points at the risk of being late in the cycle or should I be fine with this score? What other low-tier schools can I apply to?

Any advice will be appreciated!
Good list... I think the screening for DO is anything below 6...You are ok with 7 on VR. DO NOT RETAKE if you are aiming for DO. Submit your application now if all things are in order.

anyone else about that 7 in VR and more DO schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your gpa is great and your mcat is great too. I wouldn't retake your mcat, a 7 verbal is fine. For schools, I'd add PCOM and UMDNJ. Also, if you don't mind filling out the TMDSAS, you could try TCOM.

You're even in good shape to get into some MD programs. I would check that out if I were you.

anyone else about that 7 in VR and more DO schools?
You're fine. Just check on all those schools and make sure they accept canadian applications or else you will be wasting your money (off the top of my head I think most of the schools on that list should be fine)

You're even in good shape to get into some MD programs. I would check that out if I were you.

I am a Canadian applicant. If you still think I am in good shape for any of the US MD schools, please suggest. I have my AMCAS verified but I had totally given up on that due to my MCAT scores which I believe are not that good for MD schools.

If you retook it and could get above a 9+ on VR with the same science scores, you could easily get into lower tier MD schools with your ECs and GPA.

If you're set on DO, don't touch your MCAT. Those 11s are great.

MD is another story..

How does one get 3600 hours of tutoring? That is 90 full, 40-hour weeks. So almost two years.

I have 1 point lower in VR and 3 DO interviews so far, though I got 12s in the sciences. Good luck!