CRNA to Physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sandman93

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been lurking on this forum for quite some time, and it has only reinforced the fact that my true calling in life is to be a physician.

Some background info: I began college as a pre med major. I took the majority of the pre med requirements (chem 1&2, physics 1&2, organic 1 and several bio classes). Unfortunately, I had very poor study habits. My undergrad science GPA is about a 2.9. Overall GPA is not much greater than 3.0.

Because of my poor grades, I gave up all hopes of going to med school, and enrolled in a BSN program. Upon graduation, I worked as a nurse in a busy ICU and decided to apply to nurse anesthesia programs after 6 months. I was accepted and did very well in graduate school (3.9 GPA). I finally learned how to study ;)

Presently, I am nearly 28 years old, and considering applying for post-bac programs to boost my GPA (re-taking all required sciences). Is there anybody with a similar experience that has been successful? If I kick a$$ in post-bac, do I stand a chance of getting acccepted?

Members don't see this ad.

sandman93 said:
I have been lurking on this forum for quite some time, and it has only reinforced the fact that my true calling in life is to be a physician.

Some background info: I began college as a pre med major. I took the majority of the pre med requirements (chem 1&2, physics 1&2, organic 1 and several bio classes). Unfortunately, I had very poor study habits. My undergrad science GPA is about a 2.9. Overall GPA is not much greater than 3.0.

Because of my poor grades, I gave up all hopes of going to med school, and enrolled in a BSN program. Upon graduation, I worked as a nurse in a busy ICU and decided to apply to nurse anesthesia programs after 6 months. I was accepted and did very well in graduate school (3.9 GPA). I finally learned how to study ;)

Presently, I am nearly 28 years old, and considering applying for post-bac programs to boost my GPA (re-taking all required sciences). Is there anybody with a similar experience that has been successful? If I kick a$$ in post-bac, do I stand a chance of getting acccepted?
Why? CRNA's make more than many physicians and the future looks good for you. Is this an insecurity thing? I think 1yr of therapy would do more than 8yrs of additional medical training.

sandman93 said:

Hi there,
You are older and more motivated now so you probably will do very well in a post-bacc program. As you have stated, you really need to bring up the GPA. Plenty of folks have overcome lower GPAs and been admitted to medical school.

You can also work for a PRN company and set your own hours leaving you plenty of time to study and concentrate on your coursework. You can also work holidays etc. during medical school and have good money too.

Find a good solid post-bacc program or make your own and calculate what your GPA would be once you have taken all the pre-classes. You also want to rock on MCAT too. Plot a stratagy to get what you need and go for it. Since you have a solid clinical background, you will do very well in medical school. Good luck!
njbmd :)

Members don't see this ad :)
thackl said:
Why? CRNA's make more than many physicians and the future looks good for you. Is this an insecurity thing? I think 1yr of therapy would do more than 8yrs of additional medical training.

1. It is not an "insecurity thing". I just happen to have more interest in what's happening on the other side of the drapes.

2. Money isn't everything.

I too was an ICU nurse for several years prior to starting med school (now an MS 4). I did alright in undergrad, but had to kick it in my post bacc work and the MCAT (VERY important). I was able to get a spot in a good med school (associated with the hospital in which I worked) with decent numbers and a few connections (which i'm sure you have). Started school at 28 yo and have never regreted it...med school is great...I would say if you want to do it, go for it and don't look back. Good luck!

CRNA's Do not make more than many physician's.. At Least In my case.. I do not regret one bit on my decision to become a doctor. I know it is not right for everyone, but If your dreams or always had some type of ambition to be a physician, then go for it! Just keep you GPA up and Kick butt on your MCATS!
Most People with a clinical background, do very well in medical school.

I started out when I was 20 as a RN with my ADN form a local community college and Went on to Get my BSN and MSN and a Master's in anesthesia when I became a CRNA. I debated for a while to continue my education to get my DNP and then I decided to follow a life long dream and go to Medical school.. It has been a very rewarding career, I practiced several years as a nurse while in Med school.. I was pretty lucky the hospital I was at was also the Teaching hospital for the Med school. So picked extra shifts mostly in ICU or the ED whenever I had the Time and Holidays.. The extra money really helped!!

Keep your dreams big and worries small!