CRNAs fighting for complete removal of supervision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What happens when you get into trouble? I don't mean the legal kind, I mean when a pt starts crunking and you don't know what to do? Does the surgeon chime in and help you out? I doubt they know more about anesthesia than you do. Who do the lawyers go after in this case? You or the surgeon?

I can deal with it. I have news for you most Independent CRNA's feel the same way. We can handle the problems as we have done it before countless times. Anesthesia is not rocket science and many CRNA's administer solo anesthesia across the USA every day. The AANA works hard to keep it that way and we plan on more political battles in the future for our rights.

Members don't see this ad.

Trollin' Trollin' Trollin'

If a school in my area offers a DNAP then I plan on getting it. The AANA recommends every CRNA get a DNAP. I plan on teaching at a CRNA school in 10-15 years so I will need the DNAP.

The LAW allows me to practice solo. The surgeons I work with know the situation. I do a good job and they appreciate it. I am not an MD and never claimed to be. I am proud member of the AANA and a happy Independent CRNA.

This, my friends, is what I’m talking about. This is how they feel – true colors. We need to STOP TEACHING CRNA’s and help to open AA schools.

This is also why I feel the PR campaign is important. If the public KNEW the difference in training you know what they would want - demand. The CRNA’s pretend to be something they are NOT, and the patient has no idea.

I heard a department head say it best the other day. ‘They know how to fly the plane, but when the engine falls off, or some other major emergency occurs, that’s what the anesthesiologist is there for. No matter how much they delude themselves, they’ll never have the skills required to be the Captain.’

He then went on to say what’s frightening is that is how they represent themselves to the patient.

The older MD’s don’t care about our future. They make a ton of money off CRNA’s in both training and practice. It’s the new attendings that need to make a stand. For right now there is enough work for everyone, but that may not be the case in only a few years. In programs across America we are teaching our competition! We are teaching the very people who will lower our earning power and increase competition for work.

And as for ‘Physician Supervision,’ this really makes about as much sense as the Jet Mechanic’ (surgeon) telling the pilot how to fly the plane.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can deal with it. I have news for you most Independent CRNA's feel the same way. We can handle the problems as we have done it before countless times. Anesthesia is not rocket science and many CRNA's administer solo anesthesia across the USA every day. The AANA works hard to keep it that way and we plan on more political battles in the future for our rights.

See thats the problem with midlevel practitioner's. How do you know you can handle it? Anecdotal evidence? B/c you haven't killed anyone yet? What barometer makes you feel you are qualified to "handle it" alone?

As a board certified anesthesiologist, we are held to the highest standard when we sit for our written and oral boards. We undergo recertification of that standard every 10 years. CRNAs have not passed these boards. They pass a separate set of certifications that not the same or even seen as comparable to ours. On top of that we undergo a rigerous 4 year residency strictly governed by the ABA with rigorous case # requirements. We are trained from day 1 to function alone as the sole supervisor and provider of anesthestic care. The same cannot be said of CRNA training which is the reason that most solo CRNAs need a few years working under an anesthesiologist before they go solo.

See thats the problem with midlevel practitioner's. How do you know you can handle it? Anecdotal evidence? B/c you haven't killed anyone yet? What barometer makes you feel you are qualified to "handle it" alone?

As a board certified anesthesiologist, we are held to the highest standard when we sit for our written and oral boards. We undergo recertification of that standard every 10 years. CRNAs have not passed these boards. They pass a separate set of certifications that not the same or even seen as comparable to ours. On top of that we undergo a rigerous 4 year residency strictly governed by the ABA with rigorous case # requirements. We are trained from day 1 to function alone as the sole supervisor and provider of anesthestic care. The same cannot be said of CRNA training which is the reason that most solo CRNAs need a few years working under an anesthesiologist before they go solo.

Thousands of cases and good clinical judgement. I can do the job and will continue to do it. Many other CRNA's feel the same way and are doing the job every day. Reality beats theory every time. In my world CRNA's do the Anesthesia and the good ones can do it solo (and some of us do just that.)

Thousands of cases and good clinical judgement. I can do the job and will continue to do it. Many other CRNA's feel the same way and are doing the job every day. Reality beats theory every time. In my world CRNA's do the Anesthesia and the good ones can do it solo (and some of us do just that.)

Sooner or later one of those pt is going to crash. Your credentials and training will be thoroughly examined in court. Are you going to accept the responsibility "solo"?

trollin' trollin' trollin'

Thousands of cases means absolutly nothing unless you specify what types of cases are being done. As a med student, I could prolly do an asa 1 breast aug but that certainly doesn't mean I'm certified to practice solo, even if I did a thousand of them.

You say you can do the job just as well but you have no proof. You can't compete w/an anesthesiologists knowlege base and you can't pass our boards (which are the gold standard for anesthesia providers). What you try to do is to seek equivalance by circumventing the rules. You talk about how you are equivalent to us and yet none of you have ever stated you could pass our boards. Your training is not the same as ours and it never will be. You are trained to work underneath us and act as physican extenders. Just b/c the law says you can practice independantly doesn't mean it's a good idea. It may be a necessity for CRNA independance in underserved areas of the country where the options are CRNA or no surgery but in a major metropolitan area this is simply below standard of care.

Your argument for independance is analagous to an FP who wants to deliver babies. By the letter of the law and FP is allowed to do this and in an area where the nearest ob is 4 hrs away an FP delivering a kid may be common practice. In a major city, however, FPs don't do that stuff b/c a better option is available (ob/gyn), and if there is a complication its an easy case for a defense attorny. Malpractice insurance makes it prohibitively expensive for them to do so in a major city. A similar situation may happen as you try for independance in a major city.

What would you do when a pt crunks and the prosecutor says "Where was the anesthesiologist? There was someone more qualified within a reasonable distance, why were they not present for THIS operation?"

If a school in my area offers a DNAP then I plan on getting it. The AANA recommends every CRNA get a DNAP. I plan on teaching at a CRNA school in 10-15 years so I will need the DNAP.

The LAW allows me to practice solo. The surgeons I work with know the situation. I do a good job and they appreciate it. I am not an MD and never claimed to be. I am proud member of the AANA and a happy Independent CRNA.

I have news for you. Once you get your DNAP and you all start demanding that these loyal surgeons, who btw don't seem to have a dog in this fight, refer to you as DR. and only talk with you as a DR.( and we aren't fooled into thinking that this will never happen because the aana has not been satisfied with what they have so far) then they themselves will start to realize that hey I went through all of this education and training and you are not the same as me and they will become you worst enemy! If you don't think so just keep going down this slippery road you are traveling. You must have a surgeon on your side or you are out of work. This DNAP will come back to bite the AANA that is a promise!

I was just kidding around. I am proud of being a Nurse and ALWAYS tell my patients I am a CRNA. I have learned a lot from MDA's and senior CRNA' so I am grateful. But, after more than 5,000 anesthetics I am proud to be doing my own thing.

hey nitecap.. youre back under an assumed name... arent you tired of this..??

Hey, Johan I make more money than you do so maybe I should be asking you the same question?

The facts speak for themselves. Thousands of CRNA's billing independently across the USA and some even work for MDA's never present.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have news for you. Once you get your DNAP and you all start demanding that these loyal surgeons, who btw don't seem to have a dog in this fight, refer to you as DR. and only talk with you as a DR.( and we aren't fooled into thinking that this will never happen because the aana has not been satisfied with what they have so far) then they themselves will start to realize that hey I went through all of this education and training and you are not the same as me and they will become you worst enemy! If you don't think so just keep going down this slippery road you are traveling. You must have a surgeon on your side or you are out of work. This DNAP will come back to bite the AANA that is a promise!

DNAP is a dangerous game. But, the AANA plays to win and so far I believe in them. They think it will help us so I support it 100%.

Many people play to win. Not many do.

The AANA is not playing to win- We will win. Economics and Politics are on our side. Even the Imus like Idiot Ether agrees with me on this one. You guys are too late in the game to defeat the AANA. Your best bet is to cooperate with the AANA and work on that perioperative physician/supervisory role in the trauma centers. We CRNA's can use a few of you there as back-up but the primary provider will eventually fall to us.

The AANA is not playing to win- We will win. Economics and Politics are on our side. Even the Imus like Idiot Ether agrees with me on this one. You guys are too late in the game to defeat the AANA. Your best bet is to cooperate with the AANA and work on that perioperative physician/supervisory role in the trauma centers. We CRNA's can use a few of you there as back-up but the primary provider will eventually fall to us.

Let's see how long nitecap lasts this time.

"We CRNA's can use a few of you there as back-up but the primary provider will eventually fall to us."

LOL

I agree that AA’s are part of the solution. There more of them we can help enter the job market the better.

However, I still believe very strongly, as I have posted several times on this forum, one of the truly viable options open to us is one the AANA has been using so very effectively for some time. PUBLIC AWARENESS!!!

I live in Florida and right off the I95 – one of the busiest Freeways in America - is a billboard stating things like: ‘Having Surgery? Make sure you honestly give your Nurse Anesthetist the information they ask for. It’s very important that your CRNA knows an accurate history. And be sure to ask your CRNA any question you have. Remember, your CRNA is there for you.’

Something along those lines, with a photo of some really intelligent looking guy wearing a surgical mask.

They also run radio spots all over the South East with the same message. ‘Your CRNA is there to help you during one of the most critical times in your life’ ect…..

They are doing everything in their power to make their presence known to the public as the LONE provider in the area of anesthesia.

I believe the ASA needs to do the same thing. A public relations campaign outlining the difference in our training. What is a CRNA? What is an Anesthesiologist? What is the ACT model, and above all, the fact that the patient has the right to know who is giving them their anesthetic?

When a CRNA introduces themselves to patient they often say ‘I’m going to be your anesthetists.’ The patient thinks ‘great’. They’ve got on the right clothes and they look like they know what they’re doing. Many have no idea they are being looked after by a NURSE! They are thinking Doctor!

It will not take much to get the public behind us. A full page ad in USA today. ‘Having Surgery? The American Society of Anesthesiologists would like you to know the following,’ Ect…

If you knew nothing about medicine and you or a loved family member were about to have serious surgery and you went into the hospital knowing about the ACT concept - knowing the major differences between the training an M.D. receives and what a CRNA receives, what would you do? Above all, you now know that the CRNA is NOT the highest level and LONE anesthesia provider in the setting – as it seems the AANA would like the public to believe.

I believe as a profession this is the single most effective weapon available to us, yet the ASA does not want to use it – even though it’s being used very effectively against us.

Thank God, I could not agree more.

1. Help the AAAA as much as possible.
2. Public awareness campaign similar to what the AANA is already doing.

Give the public the knowledge that there is a significant difference between the training of a CRNA and an M.D. and the next time they get prepped for surgery what kind of questions do you think they’ll ask?

Good luck.

And when you win, CRNA wages will return to the RN level. Better save your pennies now, because that's all you're going to get once third party payors drop reimbursements to Medicare levels. Think about that for a while before you gloat about "victory". If you can convince payors that anesthesia is a nursing job, they will reimburse you at nursing levels. Actually, by the time the AMC and/or supervising physician skims their income off the top of yours, you will make far LESS than a nursing wage. You may as well head back to the ICU. Even with full independance the BEST you will ever do is RN income. It's in YOUR best interest to promote the concept of anesthesia as a physician specialty. Well, only if you like earning $150K/yr, and practicing a specialty with a safety record we can all be proud of. If you're fine with $60K, a boosted ego, and maybe just a few botched anesthetics, M&M's, and malpractice suits directed at you.. you're an unscrupulous fool.

The facts speak for themselves. Thousands of CRNA's billing independently across the USA and some even work for MDA's never present.

you need to take your meds....

And when you win, CRNA wages will return to the RN level. Better save your pennies now, because that's all you're going to get once third party payors drop reimbursements to Medicare levels. Think about that for a while before you gloat about "victory". If you can convince payors that anesthesia is a nursing job, they will reimburse you at nursing levels. Actually, by the time the AMC and/or supervising physician skims their income off the top of yours, you will make far LESS than a nursing wage. You may as well head back to the ICU. Even with full independance the BEST you will ever do is RN income. It's in YOUR best interest to promote the concept of anesthesia as a physician specialty. Well, only if you like earning $150K/yr, and practicing a specialty with a safety record we can all be proud of. If you're fine with $60K, a boosted ego, and maybe just a few botched anesthetics, M&M's, and malpractice suits directed at you.. you're an unscrupulous fool.

The cost of victory has its price. The AANA and I believe the strategy will force many Anesthesiology Programs to close. Over time, most Medical Students will choose another specialty and only IMG's will do Anesthesiology.
This leaves us in the Captain's Chair and we will have control of the specialty.

We don't believe salaries will go down much because the average MDA makes more than twice what a CRNA does now. So, CRNA's with a DNAP should be able to comand about 80% of what an MDA gets now. This results in a salary increase for us and control of the field. :D Ether said it best "colleague" in the year 2017.

"We CRNA's can use a few of you there as back-up but the primary provider will eventually fall to us."

LOL

I should say the same to you because you may need a new job in about ten years.

no, seriously, you need to take your meds...

This is your intelligent reply? Ether is not the idiot you are. Or, should I call just call you Mr. Imus?:D

The cost of victory has its price. The AANA and I believe the strategy will force many Anesthesiology Programs to close. Over time, most Medical Students will choose another specialty and only IMG's will do Anesthesiology.
This leaves us in the Captain's Chair and we will have control of the specialty.

We don't believe salaries will go down much because the average MDA makes more than twice what a CRNA does now. So, CRNA's with a DNAP should be able to comand about 80% of what an MDA gets now. This results in a salary increase for us and control of the field. :D Ether said it best "colleague" in the year 2017.

No ban yet why?

For large-scale surgeries, which is what is most interesting to me, there will almost always be the presence on an MD, regardless of what the AANA is telling you. In other words, people will still have the choice between you and me, and once the new generation of MDs is out in full force, the ASA behind them, the public will be completely aware of the deception and nonsense you are spewing.

You won't be forcing me to find a new job, my friend. We have some of our greedy predecessors to thank for having to worry about the "CRNA issue," but unlike you, WE'RE doctors and the sense of confidence that inspires in the public.

It's true: it's just a matter of time. The issue, though, is that recent grads, current residents, and the students just about to enter the field see what you're up to, and won't be having any of it. This generation of anesthesia docs, while still a bit behind the eight-ball with regards to the publicity game, is in good position to market itself. More of us are doing fellowships, becoming active in research, and unlike the 1990s, residencies are being filled with the BEST American grads. I always put the SRNAs in their place, and am polarizing the residents with whom I work against people such as yourself.

We were a bit slow to catch on, but your constant harping helped sharpen the focus.

Half of many graduating classes go on to do one or more fellowships.

Proactive residents and recent grads.

Involvement from the pre-op clinic, to the OR, and then on the wards and in the ICU.

Other doctors are taking notice, and the public certainly seems to welcome two doctors versus one surgeon and a nurse.

As Dylan said, "The times they are a-changing."

Game on, sucka.

Anyone thinks this guy is Terry Wicks, president AANA?

This militant CRNA is a good thing. Like eCCA1 states, it’s these types of CRNA’s that help give us insight to what they’re thinking as a whole. I’d be willing to bet many in the hospital, the ones that never say anything remotely confrontational, are quietly thinking the same thing all the while sending checks to the AANA to continue their fight.

As residents, new graduates and even the MD’s ten years in, we are really behind the eight ball. This thread reminds me of a little boy stomping on a red ant hill. All the red ants run around in an angry riot, but do not get much done.

We can throw out retorts all we want, many valid, but what real action are we going take?

I absolutely believe in the push for the PR campaign that has been discussed recently. Also eCCA1 states another simple truth: Doctors inspire more confidence in patients than a nurse. This is why the AANA is using PR themselves – to push patients to believe that the CRNA can be trusted just as much. To help them believe that the CRNA is the standard of care.

All of the AANA’s tactics would be far less successful if the ASA would start a PR push simply alerting the public to the following.

a. The differences in our training.
b. The stupidity of a surgeon supervising a CRNA instead of an anesthesiologist.
c. Most importantly, that they have a voice in who provides their anesthetic.

I also love some of the ideas on the other thread about how to do this. I could dress up as NY Yankee and take shortstop in big game. As long as they hit the ball right to me, and not too hard I could throw out the runner most times. None of the thousands of people in the stands would have any idea I did not belong there – until the dive-for-it plays starting coming – until I stepped up to bat and tried to hit a 96MPH fastball. Then everyone would know I did not belong there and demand the real short come back into the game.

We have many ways to fight, some being discussed here, but I believe one of the most effective is simply a matter of letting the public know that we play in two different leagues. Letting them know that the CRNA is great if all the balls come up the middle, if the pitches come in at 65MPH. Then asking ‘it’s your team, who do you want to play?

The more the public gets behind us as providers, the less clout the AANA will have.

Anyone thinks this guy is Terry Wicks, president AANA?

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Just so everyone knows - Terry Wicks works for a 100% medically directed practice headed up by the president of the North Carolina Society of Anesthesiologists.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Just so everyone knows - Terry Wicks works for a 100% medically directed practice headed up by the president of the North Carolina Society of Anesthesiologists.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

If thats true, its outrageous. Here we haver a militant CRNA who wants to break the back of the MDAs, and the MDAs have voluntarily hired such a scoundrel to be a part of their team?

I want the name of this practice group. I want the ****ing names of the MDA leaders of this group. Its time to give these people shame liek they've never experienced before in their lives.

If thats true, its outrageous. Here we haver a militant CRNA who wants to break the back of the MDAs, and the MDAs have voluntarily hired such a scoundrel to be a part of their team?

I want the name of this practice group. I want the ****ing names of the MDA leaders of this group. Its time to give these people shame liek they've never experienced before in their lives.

That was not my point. Here you have the president of an organization that professes that they're the epitome of anesthesia practice, an organization that basically thinks they don't need anesthesiologists. Yet do you think their president practices independently? Nope. They work for an anesthesiologist. I think that's a hoot. So many CRNA's rant about independent practice, when in reality, most anesthetics are still administered as part of anesthesia care team practices, and most CRNA's work with or for anesthesiologists every day.

You are delusional my friend....

No ban yet why?

You can run but you can't hide. The AANA is here to stay and we plan on winning big on our agenda: Independence in all 50 states.

What purpose does a ban serve? I only post on threads that discuss CRNA's and AA's? My viewpoint is shared by the AANA and you can't ban it. I find it funny you people can't win your arguments on your own site against a CRNA.
Are my posts lies? Or do they reflect the truth of the USA and my organization's agenda? Ban away but we are not going away.

The name of this thread is CRNA's fighting for complete removal of supervision and I am part of that fight. So, I feel my input is fair game on this thread and others that involve CRNA/AA issues ONLY.

When called names I have the right to respond. Some of you are so arrogant that you think a Nurse can't do this job alone. You are wrong and the AANA knows it. I make my living WITHOUT any MDA to answer to. I earn more money this way because I keep what I collect. My outpatient surgical centers, plastic surgeon's office and OB suites have embraced the CRNA only model. The administration of the hospital hired the CRNA only Group to run the OB department. My work is mosty in Florida and some in Texas. Both States are NOT opt-out yet I have no problem making more money than Johan as a Nurse Anesthetist. Free Enterprise and the AANA-go to love'em.:thumbup:

One of Florida's largest hospital chains uses CRNA ONLY groups to staff the OB department. Everyone wins big- hospital, CRNA and patient. Only you guys lose out on that deal. I expect more situations like this in the future as being a CRNA in the South has never been better.

Who needs an MDA anyway in OB? When the newspaper ran an article about the CRNA run OB department at this hospital the administration defended its choice and made NO changes.:D The CRNA only Group kept the contract.
I expect more of these deals at hospitals and outpatient centers in the future. I also do locums for several CRNA only Groups in Texas as well.
Loving life as an Independent CRNA:D

You are delusional my friend....

We shall see who is the dominant player in the field down the road. For now, we can get along as "colleagues" in the field especially when we all do our own cases. I work independently just like you.

We shall see who is the dominant player in the field down the road. For now, we can get along as "colleagues" in the field especially when we all do our own cases. I work independently just like you.
Butts and boobs - wow!

Out of curiosity FSU, which large hospital chain in Fl uses only CRNAs for OB anesthesia? Regards, ---Zippy

One of Florida's largest hospital chains uses CRNA ONLY groups to staff the OB department. Everyone wins big- hospital, CRNA and patient. Only you guys lose out on that deal. I expect more situations like this in the future as being a CRNA in the South has never been better.

Who needs an MDA anyway in OB? When the newspaper ran an article about the CRNA run OB department at this hospital the administration defended its choice and made NO changes.:D The CRNA only Group kept the contract.
I expect more of these deals at hospitals and outpatient centers in the future. I also do locums for several CRNA only Groups in Texas as well.
Loving life as an Independent CRNA:D

I work at a hospital that delivers more babies than any other hospital in the nation and one thing is certain. Whenever things go south with a delivery at one of the local hospitals – if it even looks like it’s might go south – they send them here, and no CRNA comes near them.

Everytime we pull a CRNA's ass out of the fire, we need to document it and add it to the statistics. The AANA propaganda that CRNA just as good as MD's is based on incomplete data.

Everytime we pull a CRNA's ass out of the fire, we need to document it and add it to the statistics. The AANA propaganda that CRNA just as good as MD's is based on incomplete data.

even as it currently stands, i don't think anyone can make a strong, fact-based argument against the ACT model.

One of Florida's largest hospital chains uses CRNA ONLY groups to staff the OB department.
Who needs an MDA anyway in OB? :D

Tell me the name of the hospital so i can verify it. If no name is given, you are spewing bull****, nitecap.

Guys, FSUCRNA=EtherMD trying to stir up the pot. Similar writing styles. I think he's trying to motivate us into doing something about this. A lotta self-reference there too.

My theory anyway.

Guys, FSUCRNA=EtherMD trying to stir up the pot. Similar writing styles. I think he's trying to motivate us into doing something about this. A lotta self-reference there too.

My theory anyway.

Bingo! I wasn't specifically thinking Ether and FSU were the same person, but I was wondering if FSUCRNA is actually a doc trying to start a fight.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I found it interesting that Ether had not shown up to debate the issue with FSUCRNA since he is very knowledgeable about it. Either it is Ether or, like someone else has said, another MD/DO trying to provoke us into action. Whomever it is, his/her strategy has worked, at least with me.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I found it interesting that Ether had not shown up to debate the issue with FSUCRNA since he is very knowledgeable about it. Either it is Ether or, like someone else has said, another MD/DO trying to provoke us into action. Whomever it is, his/her strategy has worked, at least with me.

I have not posted on this site because of name calling and general ignorance of the issues. I do not like being refered to as an idiot or Don Imus. I find the posts offensive and childish.

Every time someone posts on your board with negative information you blame me or claim it is me. You guys have your heads so far up your A@@ it is unbelievable. I have lost interest in your board and wish you luck against the AANA and CRNA's like FSUCRNA. You people are a waste of time.

I have not posted on this site because of name calling and general ignorance of the issues. I do not like being refered to as an idiot or Don Imus. I find the posts offensive and childish.

Every time someone posts on your board with negative information you blame me or claim it is me. You guys have your heads so far up your A@@ it is unbelievable. I have lost interest in your board and wish you luck against the AANA and CRNA's like FSUCRNA. You people are a waste of time.

Get lost Ether. Volatile and the others know you are an IMUS like idiot.
Your ideas are ridiculous and too late. You need to post the truth and let these beginners know their best shot at keeping a job is by making a deal with the AANA.

The Group in Orlando realizes we are the wave of the future and that is why they train more than 60 per year. We do the work and they collect the money. We make them rich and in return they train us for the job market.
They stick SRNA's alone in the room after the didactic period and a few weeks clinical time. Money talks and most of your members would sell their soul to get more of it. You people are hypocrits and your academic leadership is even worse. $$$$ is all that mattters and then when we get a chance to earn a little more on our own (no billing machine here) you all go crazy.

I for one am never going back to my A$A masters. Independent and going to stay that way.