Cross country moving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hygebeorht

radiology is best ology
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are some older threads that touch on this topic, but most are more than a few years old. With summer (and moving season) coming up, I wanted to restart the conversation!

I'm going to be moving from CO to NC next month. It's going to be a bit complicated. I was originally planning to sell all our furniture and try to pack up a tiny pod or van, but my car is an older lady and I don't think it would be wise to drive her across country (300k+ miles, 22 year old car). So instead I'm renting a truck and putting her on a trailer behind. After calling several companies for quotes, I found a good price. Without gas, it'll be $1000 bucks for a 16' truck and a car trailer (dolly cost the same, so I went with trailer).

The move is further complicated by three cats and a family reunion. My family is getting together in NC (why? not sure, no one lives there) a few days after I am scheduled to move. So if I get my 3 cats out there, I'll have to find someone to feed them for a week right away. Also, if I bring 3 cats out in the cab of the van, I won't have room for a second driver. It feels smart to have someone else along, and it would be more fun to travel with a friend or family member, but then: what about cats?

To complicate it even further, my SO can't leave the state until the end of July-ish (work obligations) and will be staying with friends and family until then, mostly. I could leave the cats with him, but that seems like a lot to ask of whoever will be putting him up, especially since he'll be traveling for work for a week or so.

Another option I've considered is asking my many CO-based family members to be "cat mules" and fly the cats out with them. That would require ascertaining that the airline will let pets fly in the cabin and jumping through all those hoops, but it would solve the petsitting problem. We would all arrive at the place we're staying in NC at about the same time, and I could just drive my cats back to Raleigh once the reunion is over.

I have a house ready to go in Raleigh because of some amazing groundwork by orcagirl - without her help scouting the place out I'd be in a pickle! I'm wondering, how have other OOS students been finding places to live?

TL;DR: I am having logistical problems moving cats, and am curious if anyone has great cross-country moving tips (I have never moved cross-country before). Also curious how other people are handling their house-hunting and moving.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still not sure when/how I'm moving down to Mississippi (12-hour drive for me). I was able to find a place to live with the help of my best friend who attends the veterinary school already, but I have two salamanders, a fish, and potentially a dog to move down. It's only a month until I move, but I'd rather not think about it. :p If anyone has any suggestions, that would be awesome.

I got a new car last week that should last me through veterinary school. My old car was starting to cause me a lot of problems, and my parents were starting to question if it would make trips to Mississippi.

I am moving 1200 miles, down south to OH, so I would love any advice (good and the bad) as well!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't move across country. I moved overseas so probably can't help much with across country moving. I basically packed up everything I could in 2 suitcases. I found a place to sub-let for a week then spent that week looking for a permanent place to live once I got here. Unfortunately, I am probably no help for cross-country moving. But any questions about moving overseas, I can answer. :)

TwistedRose- I travelled with a fish a few times in undergrad. 2 hour drive. I put the fish in a smaller plastic container (just big enough to fit in a cup holder), then kept it in the cup holder for the drive. That worked out really well.

If any of you are using moving companies...do NOT use Delta/DMI Movers. They were recommended to me by an acquaintance, and I stupidly trusted her (I guess she had a very lucky time with them) and didn't check their BBB rating (to see what the majority of people went through).

They screwed me big time when I moved from VA to TX. Definitely using a Uhaul for the move back.

I moved my betta 1200 miles in a cup that I put in my cup holder, and I moved him into a smallish plastic carrier tank when we stopped at hotels. When I was taking my bigger tanks (back when I had them) back home on 4 hour drives, I would put them in a big plastic tub, add some Prime, and get a battery operated bubbler. Never lost a fish.

I moved with all my animals in the car while my stuff was shipped to TX, so I don't know if this is helpful for those of you renting trucks...but I found that for kitties, letting them out in the car and putting a baking pan with some litter in it on the seat next to them during rest stops enabled them to pee/poo if they needed (since you can let the dog out on a leash, obviously, but usually not a cat).

Reactions: 1 user
So glad you posted this!

Trying to figure out our move feels a whole lot like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox,_goose_and_bag_of_beans_puzzle. We're moving 5 hours away, we have 5 cats, there are two of us but I don't drive, and we'll have a moving van and a brand new car. Husband doesn't want to trailer the car either since he rarely drives and 16 feet of truck is enough of a stress.

What we've figured out so far: As NYC residents, we do not own a car. To make things slightly easier, we decided not to buy our car until we get up to Ithaca and will instead get a rental for a few days while we shop around. I will eventually re-learn to drive but I didn't want my first driving experience after 7 years to be a five-hour drive in a new-to-me car. Husband will be driving the moving truck and I'll be navigating. Obviously the cats can't be in the cab with us so one of my friends offered (!) to drive our cats up in her car. She was planning a trip up to Farm Sanctuary, an hour or so away, and decided to plan it around our move which was amazingly great of her. For her last move my husband helped her carry a box-spring up and down 8 flights of stairs so I guess she figured she owed us. :laugh:

@hygebeorht - I like the idea of enlisting family members to be "cat mules" (lol). It's been a while since I looked into pet flying rules but I think cats are allowed as carry-on if their carriers will fit under the seat. The other big IF in that situation is whether or not your family members are cat people. My family doesn't get cats and I know they wouldn't know what to do if one my guys started freaking out on the plane or in the airport. As long as they are willing and experienced pet owners though, that seems like it could work? Or - is there any way your boyfriend could extend your lease another month so that he wouldn't be staying with friends after you leave? Then the cats could continue to stay with him and he could bring them with him when he comes to NC. I know you said he would be travelling for work for a week but getting a cat-sitter for a week seems easier than asking inexperienced people to fly with your animals :laugh:

I'm still not sure when/how I'm moving down to Mississippi (12-hour drive for me). I was able to find a place to live with the help of my best friend who attends the veterinary school already, but I have two salamanders, a fish, and potentially a dog to move down. It's only a month until I move, but I'd rather not think about it. :p If anyone has any suggestions, that would be awesome.

I got a new car last week that should last me through veterinary school. My old car was starting to cause me a lot of problems, and my parents were starting to question if it would make trips to Mississippi.

I have a friend who moved from South Carolina to California. She's a huge aquarium hobbyist and moved 5 120-gallon aquariums cross country without any casualties. So here's what she did - there are 5 gallon jugs with screw caps on top that aquarium hobbyists use to buy DI water from aquarium stores (I can send you a picture if you don't know what I'm talking about). She drained her aquarium water into several jugs and used them to transport fish, live coral, and freshwater plants. Her aquariums were emptied and cleaned and the moving company moved them. She split the drive into several days and at each hotel she took the jugs inside and set them up with air bubblers over night so the water stayed oxygenated. Obviously after a few days her corals and plants didn't look as vibrant but they were easily revived once she got her aquariums set up. None of her fish died.

I hate driving with other people, so I would just bring all 3 cats with me in the cab. Did that for both 5 hour moves I've done(longest distance I've done).

For the reunion problem, board them once you get there. Call ahead of time to set something up. Often you can get discounted rates for a week or longer stay. Would be cheaper than flying them over and still having to figure out what to do with them.

That also gives you time to get some things unpacked and set up before throwing the cats in a new place. Set out blankets(don't wash them before you leave!) and familiar things for them. Makes the transition a bit easier.

If you don't think your cats(or you!) could handle the long drive together, talk to your vet about sedation.

Just wanted to add for those moving themselves - I've been watching youtube videos on how to load a moving truck. The last time we moved we hired movers but can't afford it this time. It's been a while since I had to load a truck! There's lot of good videos on there (about building "tiers," how your couch should go in the attic space, etc.), and lots of stuff I wouldn't have thought about.

There are some older threads that touch on this topic, but most are more than a few years old. With summer (and moving season) coming up, I wanted to restart the conversation!

I'm going to be moving from CO to NC next month. It's going to be a bit complicated. I was originally planning to sell all our furniture and try to pack up a tiny pod or van, but my car is an older lady and I don't think it would be wise to drive her across country (300k+ miles, 22 year old car). So instead I'm renting a truck and putting her on a trailer behind. After calling several companies for quotes, I found a good price. Without gas, it'll be $1000 bucks for a 16' truck and a car trailer (dolly cost the same, so I went with trailer).

The move is further complicated by three cats and a family reunion. My family is getting together in NC (why? not sure, no one lives there) a few days after I am scheduled to move. So if I get my 3 cats out there, I'll have to find someone to feed them for a week right away. Also, if I bring 3 cats out in the cab of the van, I won't have room for a second driver. It feels smart to have someone else along, and it would be more fun to travel with a friend or family member, but then: what about cats?

To complicate it even further, my SO can't leave the state until the end of July-ish (work obligations) and will be staying with friends and family until then, mostly. I could leave the cats with him, but that seems like a lot to ask of whoever will be putting him up, especially since he'll be traveling for work for a week or so.

Another option I've considered is asking my many CO-based family members to be "cat mules" and fly the cats out with them. That would require ascertaining that the airline will let pets fly in the cabin and jumping through all those hoops, but it would solve the petsitting problem. We would all arrive at the place we're staying in NC at about the same time, and I could just drive my cats back to Raleigh once the reunion is over.

I have a house ready to go in Raleigh because of some amazing groundwork by orcagirl - without her help scouting the place out I'd be in a pickle! I'm wondering, how have other OOS students been finding places to live?

TL;DR: I am having logistical problems moving cats, and am curious if anyone has great cross-country moving tips (I have never moved cross-country before). Also curious how other people are handling their house-hunting and moving.
rules may have changed about flying with animals BUT last time i flew with my cat i had to tell them well in advance as there can only be two animals on a flight. The carrier has to fit under the seat. If you have to fly with them i would def suggest getting a harness that you can have attach a leash. I had to take the cat out of the carrier and send the carrier through the x ray machine and walk through carrying my cat....i have the most mild manner friendly cat and she was freaked out at the airport. I was pissed because the first time i flew with her i did not have to take her out. Ask the airline if you will need to take them out!

...but I found that for kitties, letting them out in the car and putting a baking pan with some litter in it on the seat next to them during rest stops enabled them to pee/poo if they needed (since you can let the dog out on a leash, obviously, but usually not a cat).

I guess I worry about letting them out b/c I can't predict how squirrelly they will be. I worry about a panicked cat getting down near the pedals. :( After looking around a bit, it seems many cats decide to hold it all day, litterbox or no. The move is stressful to them, but at hotels at night they'll eat and use the litter.

As NYC residents, we do not own a car.

You NYC people are too darn cute :p It's like watching baby birds' first wobbly flight out of the nest...New Yorkers in cars...on highways!

I lived without my own car until I was 25, but I used to live in a rural area and spent about 2 hours a day driving. Right now I also commute, so 2 hours a day is my norm. I've driven lots of vehicles, large and small, so I hope I'm good with the van.

I hear your concerns about the cat mules. I might send just one with my sister, a fellow cat owner. If I drive one, fly one, and the SO brings one out later, it'll make it easier.

I hate driving with other people, so I would just bring all 3 cats with me in the cab. Did that for both 5 hour moves I've done(longest distance I've done).

For the reunion problem, board them once you get there. Call ahead of time to set something up. Often you can get discounted rates for a week or longer stay. Would be cheaper than flying them over and still having to figure out what to do with them.

That also gives you time to get some things unpacked and set up before throwing the cats in a new place. Set out blankets(don't wash them before you leave!) and familiar things for them. Makes the transition a bit easier.

If you don't think your cats(or you!) could handle the long drive together, talk to your vet about sedation.

I don't mind driving by myself, but with a 16' van towing a car trailer, it might help to have a parking pal. Also, when I get there, it would be nice to have another set of hands to unload. I could rent some dudes for a few hours when I get there, I guess. For a 3-day trip with a truck and trailer and an unpacking fiesta at the end, I think I'd rather have a buddy. Plus: the memories!

Good thinking on the board, and familiar scents. I'm considering getting feliway collars or plug-in refills. I have a couple plug-ins but haven't used them for a while.

rules may have changed about flying with animals BUT last time i flew with my cat i had to tell them well in advance as there can only be two animals on a flight. The carrier has to fit under the seat. If you have to fly with them i would def suggest getting a harness that you can have attach a leash. I had to take the cat out of the carrier and send the carrier through the x ray machine and walk through carrying my cat....i have the most mild manner friendly cat and she was freaked out at the airport. I was pissed because the first time i flew with her i did not have to take her out. Ask the airline if you will need to take them out!

United (my sister's flight's booked with them) allows 4 pets per cabin. It's $125 pet fee, and I expect we'll have to pull the cat out of the carrier. I was thinking of sending my smallest, most skittish cat because she is older and a short flight may be better than a long road trip for her, but I'll probably ask for sedation if she needs to be taken from a carrier for security.

It just seems like dividing and conquering may be the best strategy for cat transport.

Some other moving tips I've found in my researches...if you have rolly suitcases, they are great for packing books. Books are heavy and will bust out of boxes, and rolly suitcases are tough and also easy to move.

Also, think about using large rubbermaid-style bins instead of boxes. More expensive at the outset, but they can be reused or resold. They are tougher and can be easier to pick up and move around because most have handles.

I've used banker's boxes for moves before, and they work fine. A little small for many household items, though. Good for small, dense things like books or crockery. You can break them down and store them for the next move, but it's a PITA.

I also read that instead of writing the room on the box (for people with larger moves) buy a couple rolls of differently-colored tape and put a strip on the four sides of the box. Each color corresponds to a different room.

Anyone have tips for moving plants? I will probably just get rid of mine, even my beloved potted lime tree :( My moving van's roof is translucent, but the heat inside the van will probably kill anything I put in there.

I'm in a pretty similar situation. I am moving from Arkansas to NC this weekend with a cat that hates being in the car. It is a 17 hour drive, and he hates being in a car so much that he starts panting uncontrollably only after a few minutes. I am thinking of using anxiety medication from the vet, but I'm a little concerned that that won't be enough. I don't think I can sedate him because it is a two day trip. I'm using a big pop out tent looking animal carrier, so that he doesn't run under the gas petal, etc.

I guess I worry about letting them out b/c I can't predict how squirrelly they will be. I worry about a panicked cat getting down near the pedals. :( After looking around a bit, it seems many cats decide to hold it all day, litterbox or no. The move is stressful to them, but at hotels at night they'll eat and use the litter.

Oh no, no, I didn't mean while driving, hah! I meant at rest stops. I would always keep the cat in her carrier, and then I'd stop for 5 or so minutes at a rest stop to walk the dog around, stretch my own legs, and let the cat out of her carrier to walk around the car and use the makeshift litter if she needed to. I'd leave her in the (closed/locked) car alone so it was quiet and she felt ok enough to go out while I walked around outside with the pooch.

I guess if you had a squirrelly cat it might be difficult to get him/her back in, but mine would always go back in her carrier when she was done (likely cause she felt safe there) so I could just open the back car door and latch her in again before setting off.

Members don't see this ad :)
You NYC people are too darn cute :p It's like watching baby birds' first wobbly flight out of the nest...New Yorkers in cars...on highways!

hey now! I didn't grow up in NYC so I can drive and have a valid licence! There's just no reason to have a car here... so expensive and parking/traffic is such a PITA.

I can totally understand wanting someone to drive with you. That's a long trip to make alone. I think dividing up the cats sounds like a great idea. Feliway also makes wipes which I've used to wipe down the inside of carriers with. I didn't know they made collars... my cats don't wear collars so I think they would be a bit WTF if I tried those on them for a trip but it's good to know about.

For our last move I used several colors of electrical tape and it worked really well. Definitely beats moving boxes around a second time and the colors are easier to see from far away than writing the room name on the box.

Can you fit 1 larger cat carrier in the cabin with a passenger? If you can take 1 or 2 cats with you, it might be much easier to find people to help vs. all 3 cats. If the cats are really used to the car, smallish, and comfortable sitting together in the same crate, you might be able to put 2 cats in the carrier.

My cat is my co-pilot and spends at least 1-2 hrs a week in the car with me on average, so she is super easy to travel with. Since she is so used to the car, she will use the litter box while stopped or even driving. For this, I trained her to be comfortable in a harness, and had that on her for the entire ride from MA to CO. Every 4-6 hrs or so, I stopped at a gas station, put a lead on her harness to let her walk around the car without losing her. And while she was out I would put a small litter pan inside her crate, and then lock her in with it for a couple of minutes. And voila, she'd pee like a champ. She would also drink water at these stops. So of you can get your cat used enough to the car, that's an option. But for the most part, I hear that cats tend to hold it for the entire day and just wait until they hit the hotel. My 2 cats certainly held it for the entire duration of flight between SFO and Narita (the total crate time was probably 16-18 hrs). But I would think if that were the case, it might be kinder to limit your daily driving time to 12 hrs or something.

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to have more than one cat/dog in one carrier in a plane (unless they're puppies/kittens..? I remember reading this once but can't remember the details). And they will definitely require you to take your cat/dog out of the carrier when you go through security. I've flown with my Corgi from NY <-> CA numerous times and I've always had to take her out since she can't go through the xray machine.

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to have more than one cat/dog in one carrier in a plane (unless they're puppies/kittens..? I remember reading this once but can't remember the details). And they will definitely require you to take your cat/dog out of the carrier when you go through security. I've flown with my Corgi from NY <-> CA numerous times and I've always had to take her out since she can't go through the xray machine.

Oh no no no. Not the plane ride. The moving truck cabin...

If anyone has any advice in general for moving across the country, that'd be great! I'll be moving from VA to Missouri in a few months making a 14 hour trip in one day with my dog.

I'm wondering, how have other OOS students been finding places to live?

I'm flying out in a day and a half to Columbia for two and a half days and spending a day and a half of that meeting with realtor we've been talking to and looking at lots of places and getting a condo/townhouse.

To move, I'm driving my car with the dog and my parents are renting a minivan (bigger than their small station wagon) and driving also (MD to MO -- 15 hrs total, we're breaking it into two days). I've either lived at home or in furnished rentals, so don't really have much furniture to move, so just going to bring as much as I can and get the rest there. (Helps too that my mother has a coworker with family in Columbia with an extra bedroom set that they're trying to find somewhere to store, so if that works out, it will get stored in my bedroom until I get my own/something nicer.)

I was in an appointment at work a few weeks ago with clients who are making the same move to Columbia to start a PhD program and they said they have a dog crate for the back end of their car (station wagon-type) where they can put the two cats and a litter box and attach on water.

United (my sister's flight's booked with them) allows 4 pets per cabin. It's $125 pet fee, and I expect we'll have to pull the cat out of the carrier. I was thinking of sending my smallest, most skittish cat because she is older and a short flight may be better than a long road trip for her, but I'll probably ask for sedation if she needs to be taken from a carrier for security.

also, even if you think you'll have a great hold on kitty, I would strongly recommend a harness and a leash that you/whoever is holding onto as well just in case any of the one of 193952975 scary-to-a-cat things at the airport makes the cat wriggle out of your arms while going through security.

I've only done 5-6 hour-ish flights with my dog, but occasionally she has been stuck in her carrier for 7-8 hours due to layovers. I usually carry a bag of treats/kibble with me at the airport and sometimes a bullystick for her to chew on. No food that morning. In the plane I usually ask for a cup of ice and offer her ice cubes every hour or so.

EDIT: I guess this only applies if your pet is in the cabin with you.

:( This is what worries me about flying my pets from US to Scotland... my dog gets fed 2-3 times a day, but I am sure when on the plane she's not going to eat/drink/urinate/defecate for 12+ hours (assuming she doesn't get so scared she just lets it go all over herself). It is giving me so much anxiety! How long did it take for your babies to adjust after the flight?

Not long at all. Once they were in a home environment, they explored a tad bit but were so happy to be out of their carriers they strutted around like they owned the place. Went pee, then guzzled down food and water.

As a dog-show follower, I am fairly experienced with traveling with large numbers of small animals. Just this weekend we traveled in the car with four Papillons and three people. Don't be afraid to stack carriers on top of each other. You should be able to get two on top of each other behind the driver's seat fairly easily. We use bungee cords. Use them to secure the top and bottom carriers to each other and then to the seat in front and the back of the seat where they are.

A long time ago, we did a 36 hour car ride with three people, a dog, and a cat. The cat stayed in the carrier for the most part. At rest stops, he came out and we had a litterbox on the floor. If I recall correctly, he didn't use it very often. He also used to fly cross-country all the time and we had to take him out at security every time. One time he even got felt up by the TSA agent =P He was a good cat...we've had cats that definitely would've attacked the agent.

My moving problem right now has to do with the trailer that I want to buy. I went down in April and picked it out but trying to get the bill of sale and everything accomplished long-distance has been a real pain.

As far as driving goes, Auburn's an 8 hour drive away. Which is a tad too long for me. After 5-6 hours, I'm ready to be there. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it by myself but I guess I will have to at some point.

I'm moving from Sacramento, CA to Philadelphia, PA next month. Oh yeah, and with 5 cats. My husband will be in his car with 3 cats, and I'll be in mine with 2 cats. We figured if we drive 10 hours a day, we can do it in 4 days. But we may drive 8 hours a day and do it in 5 days. An extra day on the road for the kitties, but holding urine and feces for shorter times (none of them will use a litter box in the car). I also have enough ace to get all of them across country, even if we take 5 days.

For our stuff, we rented a pod and are getting rid of most everything we own. It ended up being the cheapest option by far when factoring in the gas for a uhaul pulling a car across country.

As far as finding a place, we used a rental agent. Most of them don't charge their clients, they get paid by property management companies and landlords to represent their properties. He sent us daily listings that met our criteria, scouted out neighborhoods, and gave great advice. We found a wonderful place that's perfect for us and in a great neighborhood, and didn't have to pay him a dime! I recommend looking into it if you need to find a place to live across country and you can't go visit!

I was in an appointment at work a few weeks ago with clients who are making the same move to Columbia to start a PhD program and they said they have a dog crate for the back end of their car (station wagon-type) where they can put the two cats and a litter box and attach on water.

Yeah, either a large dog crate or one of those cargo cages that go across the open space above the backseat would be perfect.

Not long at all. Once they were in a home environment, they explored a tad bit but were so happy to be out of their carriers they strutted around like they owned the place. Went pee, then guzzled down food and water.

Once they case the joint, my cats are usually good too. I've moved one of my cats six times, and the others have been moved quite a bit as well. Despite their not being snuggle buddies, I think the presence of other cats who aren't losing their **** helps them to acclimate.

One time he even got felt up by the TSA agent =P He was a good cat...we've had cats that definitely would've attacked the agent.

As far as driving goes, Auburn's an 8 hour drive away. Which is a tad too long for me. After 5-6 hours, I'm ready to be there. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it by myself but I guess I will have to at some point.

Man, sometimes I want to attack TSA agents too. They felt up a cat? Although...if I were evil and wanted to blow a plane up, bodypacking a small animal would be a great way to smuggle explosives on board.

Eight hours of driving is definitely a long drive. My drive from CO to NC can be done in two long days, but I'm going to do three. That way I arrive in the morning on the third day and have time to unpack and get stuff sorted out. Rolling in exhausted late at night? Noooo thank you.

As far as finding a place, we used a rental agent.

Rental agents are useful people! Especially, I imagine, if you have 5 cats. It was hard enough for me to find a place that would take me with 3. I prefer not to rent from commercial properties, because they charge more and are more inflexible. I prefer private landlords. It can be hard to find what you want in the flood of commercial ads on Craigslist, though. :mad:

Rental agents are useful people! Especially, I imagine, if you have 5 cats. It was hard enough for me to find a place that would take me with 3. I prefer not to rent from commercial properties, because they charge more and are more inflexible. I prefer private landlords. It can be hard to find what you want in the flood of commercial ads on Craigslist, though. :mad:

Oh I don't tell anyone I have five cats, haha. I would never find a place. I have two cats :D It works out fine, because 3 of them hide every time there's a knock on the door.

Oh I don't tell anyone I have five cats, haha. I would never find a place. I have two cats :D It works out fine, because 3 of them hide every time there's a knock on the door.

And I only have three! :laugh:

My cat always greets strangers at the door. My apartment doesn't know about him because they have an insanely high 500 dollar fee that you don't get back. Every time that maintenance comes to fix something I cringe a little because he just sits right next to them and watches them work.

My cat always greets strangers at the door. My apartment doesn't know about him because they have an insanely high 500 dollar fee that you don't get back. Every time that maintenance comes to fix something I cringe a little because he just sits right next to them and watches them work.

Perhaps you have a similar law in your county? My current lease states "no pets" despite the majority of people in my building owning at least one companion animal.

http://www2.nycbar.org/Publications/pdf/CompanionAnimals_NYC Apartments09.pdf

I did the "secret cat" thing for a year when living in graduate on-campus housing. I put up reflective window film and sheer curtains. Darkened the apartment up a bit. I also shut the kitty in the back whenever I left. Whatever, the grad housing complex was like a freaking daycare with all the screaming toddlers. The guy who managed the place had a few screamers of his own. I think he knew I had a cat, but he didn't care.

My SO and I have driven cross-country five times, and moved from Ohio to California last summer.

General advice for road trips:
Have multiple water bottles in the car/cabin for each person, and fill them up at every rest stop, even if they're mostly full - you do NOT want to have a breakdown on the side of the interstate without lots of water, especially in the summer.
Have at least one sweet and at least one savory snack for each person.
Have twice as much music as you think you'll need, and have it set up so that you can put everything on shuffle but also you can find a particular thing fairly quickly.
Have paper directions or a map printed out even if you have GPS.
Have a flashlight in the car - it's nice for checking directions etc. when driving at night.
Have cash with you as well as a credit or debit card - this is especially important if you're going to be doing long days and eating at non-chain restaurants where the service is slow. It is maddening to want to get back on the road and the waiter/waitress takes 15 minutes to process your card.
Have the address of where you're going written down on paper somewhere, as well as the addresses and phone numbers of a drug store/pharmacy and at least one restaurant you know you'll like that are nearby the new house.
Remember to have your phone and computer chargers with you, not packed in a box or even in a suitcase.

Oh jeez, just looked at how much of a wall o' text that is. Anyway, I hope it's helpful!

IMAGE_F4C3A12B-F345-4A04-AB8A-C22A074CBCD5.JPG

I did a 14 hour drive from Ohio to Massachusetts with my cat in a harness on a leash . She slept for most of the trip.

My SO and I have driven cross-country five times, and moved from Ohio to California last summer.

General advice for road trips:
Have multiple water bottles in the car/cabin for each person, and fill them up at every rest stop, even if they're mostly full - you do NOT want to have a breakdown on the side of the interstate without lots of water, especially in the summer.
Have at least one sweet and at least one savory snack for each person.
Have twice as much music as you think you'll need, and have it set up so that you can put everything on shuffle but also you can find a particular thing fairly quickly.
Have paper directions or a map printed out even if you have GPS.
Have a flashlight in the car - it's nice for checking directions etc. when driving at night.
Have cash with you as well as a credit or debit card - this is especially important if you're going to be doing long days and eating at non-chain restaurants where the service is slow. It is maddening to want to get back on the road and the waiter/waitress takes 15 minutes to process your card.
Have the address of where you're going written down on paper somewhere, as well as the addresses and phone numbers of a drug store/pharmacy and at least one restaurant you know you'll like that are nearby the new house.
Remember to have your phone and computer chargers with you, not packed in a box or even in a suitcase.

Oh jeez, just looked at how much of a wall o' text that is. Anyway, I hope it's helpful!

Speaking of music, I have found that CDs of stand-up comedy are GREAT for long drives. WW and I have done multi-day road trips from TX to UT, TX to VA, etc. - long-ass drives -and comedy CDs saved our butts and kept the mood lighthearted. We all know what evil people we can become being trapped in a car all day! :laugh:

I have a 20 hour drive ahead of me this summer...anyone have experience making long road trips with a cockatoo? :D

Speaking of music, I have found that CDs of stand-up comedy are GREAT for long drives. WW and I have done multi-day road trips from TX to UT, TX to VA, etc. - long-ass drives -and comedy CDs saved our butts and kept the mood lighthearted. We all know what evil people we can become being trapped in a car all day! :laugh:

Audio books are also very good for this! Often we find that we're concentrating on the story so much that we don't realize 2-3 hours have zipped past.

Audio books are also very good for this! Often we find that we're concentrating on the story so much that we don't realize 2-3 hours have zipped past.

:thumbup: Definitely. I love listening to Stephen Fry read the Harry Potter books, with his pompous British accent and all his character voices. If anyone is an HP fan (hell, I'm not even really one and I enjoyed it immensely), I guarantee you'll love it.

:thumbup: Agreed! My mom and I do this on long drives together. We get them for free from the local library and just download them onto one of our iPods. A good mystery or thriller will make you eager to get back on the road again, just so you can hear what happens next!

I'm wondering, how have other OOS students been finding places to live?

I found my apartment on Kijiji (basically the Canadian version of Craigslist). I started looking almost as soon as I got the acceptance letter, because I wanted to find a furnished one bedroom that would allow my cat. I just posted a want ad on Kijiji and got dozens of replies, one of which happened to be this awesome little furnished apartment in the carriage house of a horse farm 10 minutes from campus. The pictures of it looked great, there are already other vet students living on the property, and the landlady was super nice. It sounds like the 4th year vet student who was living there really liked the place too, so I jumped on it and sent my deposit in immediately. I'm a little nervous about it, since I've never rented a place without actually seeing it in person before, but it's a month to month rental with no lease, so if I get there and decide I hate it, I can just give a month's notice and move to someplace better. I think I did pretty well. :D

My move is complicated by the fact that I need to cross the Canadian border. I need to get my student visa at the border (and judging by the list of paperwork I need in order to do so, it's going to take a while) and apparently I also need to turn in an itemized list of everything I'm bringing with me, including serial numbers and approximate values of anything big. :rolleyes: Fortunately since my apartment is fully furnished I won't need to bring much besides personal items and maybe some cookware, but it's still going to make packing SO much fun, having to list everything as I go along.

I'm also bringing my cat, so I'll need a signed statement from his vet to give to border patrol saying that he's been vaccinated for rabies. Luckily for me, he seems to do okay in the car. We've done a 3 hour and a 2 hour drive together before and he wasn't terrible. It's a 10 hour drive to PEI from home, but since my mom is also driving up with me in her own car and doesn't want to make the whole drive in one day, we'll be stopping halfway. So it's really only 5 hours in the car at a time for the cat (this time, anyway) and that's not bad at all. I bought him a nice big soft-sided carrier that's really meant for a small dog for only $35 at Ocean State Job Lot (I think this may be a New England chain . . . but basically just picture Christmas Tree Shops and Walmart having a slightly grungy love child, and you've got Ocean State :p ). It's large enough so he'll have plenty of room to move around in there during the drive, and there's a nice soft fluffy bed on the bottom so he'll be comfy. I set it up in my apartment after I bought it and let him use it as a sort of playhouse, and he loves it. Made it soooo much easier to get him to go into it when it was time to move. I also sprayed a ton of Feliway in there before putting him in the car, and that seemed to help too. I think the hardest part of moving him will be the fact that he's become really bonded with one of my mom's cats, so he's probably going to be very sad and lonely when we move away. :(

I'm moving from Sacramento, CA to Philadelphia, PA next month. Oh yeah, and with 5 cats. My husband will be in his car with 3 cats, and I'll be in mine with 2 cats. We figured if we drive 10 hours a day, we can do it in 4 days. But we may drive 8 hours a day and do it in 5 days. An extra day on the road for the kitties, but holding urine and feces for shorter times (none of them will use a litter box in the car). I also have enough ace to get all of them across country, even if we take 5 days.

For our stuff, we rented a pod and are getting rid of most everything we own. It ended up being the cheapest option by far when factoring in the gas for a uhaul pulling a car across country.

As far as finding a place, we used a rental agent. Most of them don't charge their clients, they get paid by property management companies and landlords to represent their properties. He sent us daily listings that met our criteria, scouted out neighborhoods, and gave great advice. We found a wonderful place that's perfect for us and in a great neighborhood, and didn't have to pay him a dime! I recommend looking into it if you need to find a place to live across country and you can't go visit!

Our Los Angeles to Philly trip was 5 days (slightly longer distance).. 1 cat, 2 dogs.

Day 5 the cat HAD ENOUGH> She was fine until then , but then was meowing up a storm. I would say try one fewer day (although she never would pee in the truck so we always felt bad trying to drive a little longer).

Just a word of advice to EVERYONE.. Try to be flexible what day/week you are leaving. We had to leave on a certain day and ended up driving in the biggest heat wave of the summer.

Especially if you are alone, what are you going to do during breaks (food/bathroom etc). Leave the car running with the pets inside. Our pickup literally got unbearably hot just while we shut it down to get gas...
It is really hard to go cross-country alone, and I wouldn't recommend it.

If you have a cooler and can pack food, it will save you some trouble (and probably save you a few clogged arteries).

I may have a workable cat transport solution, though it needs a bit of tweaking.

I ran into some friends last night who moved across country much like I'll be doing, in a van towing a car on a trailer. They stuck their three cats in the car for the whole move, with food, water, litterboxes, and fans.

They moved in September and I'll be moving in June, so I worry about my cats and the heat. However, this might work: http://itscoolinhere.com/index.html

If I strap that sucker down hard, it should keep the car at a reasonable temperature. I could additionally use one or both of these to maintain kitty comfort:

http://www.amazon.com/PlayaPup-Chil...id=1369340635&sr=1-2&keywords=cooling+pet+bed

http://www.kooleraire.com/

I would also use an indoor/outdoor thermometer to keep track of the car temperature from the cab of the truck.

Right now it's just a thought experiment, but I think it would work. My cats are short-haired, but I may shave them if we decide to do this.

(I'd have cat carriers along in case it all went to ****.)

This is a rough plan for now...any thoughts?

I may have a workable cat transport solution, though it needs a bit of tweaking.

I ran into some friends last night who moved across country much like I'll be doing, in a van towing a car on a trailer. They stuck their three cats in the car for the whole move, with food, water, litterboxes, and fans.

They moved in September and I'll be moving in June, so I worry about my cats and the heat. However, this might work: http://itscoolinhere.com/index.html

If I strap that sucker down hard, it should keep the car at a reasonable temperature. I could additionally use one or both of these to maintain kitty comfort:

http://www.amazon.com/PlayaPup-Chil...id=1369340635&sr=1-2&keywords=cooling+pet+bed

I would also use an indoor/outdoor thermometer to keep track of the car temperature from the cab of the truck.

Right now it's just a thought experiment, but I think it would work. My cats are short-haired, but I may shave them if we decide to do this.

:uhno:
I would never do that with my car. You have no way of knowing if the cat would actually USE the litterbox. Might open the car door to the lovely smell of cat piss on your seat.

Yeah... I'm a worry wart but I wouldn't be able to shake the feeling that I was accidentally baking my cats to a crisp in a slow, painful process.

Our Los Angeles to Philly trip was 5 days (slightly longer distance).. 1 cat, 2 dogs.

Day 5 the cat HAD ENOUGH> She was fine until then , but then was meowing up a storm. I would say try one fewer day (although she never would pee in the truck so we always felt bad trying to drive a little longer).

Just a word of advice to EVERYONE.. Try to be flexible what day/week you are leaving. We had to leave on a certain day and ended up driving in the biggest heat wave of the summer.

Especially if you are alone, what are you going to do during breaks (food/bathroom etc). Leave the car running with the pets inside. Our pickup literally got unbearably hot just while we shut it down to get gas...
It is really hard to go cross-country alone, and I wouldn't recommend it.

If you have a cooler and can pack food, it will save you some trouble (and probably save you a few clogged arteries).

Disagree, slightly. It is possible. I actually found it easier to drive alone vs driving with a parent. My drive was close to 30 hours in the middle of summer. (Then again, the parent doesn't drive at night. Or in the rain. Or for more than 7 hours a day. And doesn't believe in fast food. It was a pain. :laugh:)

Remote starter - able to keep car running and still have doors locked. It was a life saver for lunch/bathroom breaks. Originally put it in so I could be lazy and not have to start the car in the freezing cold in the middle of winter, but I use it more for doggie comfort now than anything.
Seatbelt harnesses to prevent accidental escapes and able to walk one dog at a time while leaving the other in the car. Also keeps them separated enough so they each have their side of the car and cant play and wrestle and distract the driver.
Window grates, so if its cool enough out you can leave the windows down and prevent strangers from sticking arms in / dogs from sticking heads out.

Dogs harnessed in the back. cooler with snacks/drinks + misc "stuff" in the passenger seat, a comfy cushion for your butt, cruise control that works and lots of good music :thumbup: Don't forget your sunglasses :)

I left OK around 3 am, so I made it pretty far before having to really deal with the heat of day. Stopped in IN for the night at a friend's farm, and left around 5am the next day to head to NY. Got to NY around 10pm, so it was a long day, but honestly went pretty quick with good music and audiobooks. 3rd leg was six hours from NY to NH.

Stopping at a friends house did make it easy since I didn't have to deal with hotels, but I have done the same trip and stopped at hotels. My dogs are super awesome in that they "hold it" so I only have to stop as often as I need gas for the car.

Planning on doing it again this September for preceptors unless I can convince someone in OK to watch the pups for 6 weeks.

Road trip tips:
Don't forget whatever you need the first night in a new place (shower curtain? towels? Air mattress? blanket/pillow?). Keep it easily accessible so you don't have to dig. Same for chargers, etc.
Snacks if you are a boredom eater.
Even if you have a smartphone, keep a map in the car. If traveling with pets, write down locations of some vets/kennels/pet friendly places along the route + near planned stops. Smart phones aren't always so smart in the middle of nowhere! Dogfriendly.com was a huge help, but definitely confirm with individual places as policies change.

Yeah... I'm a worry wart but I wouldn't be able to shake the feeling that I was accidentally baking my cats to a crisp in a slow, painful process.

Yeah, that's my main reservation. I would never forgive myself if my cats suffered or were hurt by my stupid plans.

:uhno:
I would never do that with my car. You have no way of knowing if the cat would actually USE the litterbox. Might open the car door to the lovely smell of cat piss on your seat.

It's possible. OTOH, all 3 are deadeye shots when it comes to hitting the box. That could change if they were stressed in a car, sure.

Maybe I could put a bigger dog crate in the car and put 2 in there and have a smaller one for the omega cat so she doesn't get picked on? Just thinking.

Maybe I could put a bigger dog crate in the car and put 2 in there and have a smaller one for the omega cat so she doesn't get picked on? Just thinking.

If you're going to tow your cats in the car, I'd highly recommend putting them in secondary containment because car doors are so awkward and I'd worry about one shooting out if stressed. With 3 cats, it would be kind of difficult to open the door and block it enough while opening enough for you to get access without risking an escapee. And it would be hard to pull anyone out that may squeeze themselves under the seat.

On a hot summer day though, I don't know how much cooling power you'd need to keep the temp cool enough without turning on the engine.

Yeah, that's my main reservation. I would never forgive myself if my cats suffered or were hurt by my stupid plans.

The ONLY way I would sort of consider it is if you got all the things you were planning on using to cool the car, shut up the car on a really hot day for the amount of time you plan to drive for at a time, and measured how hot it still gets inside the car. I would hedge large bets on it still getting hotter than is acceptable, and I certainly wouldnt attempt it without thoroughly testing it. And having a backup. How are you going to know if the cooling fails at any point? On a really hot day it can take less than 15min...

That and the running out of the car when you stop (my cat definately would, but she's a little stress head) would be my main concerns. You could also give them all anxiolytics, and douse the car in feliway...