Cross country moving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bumping this because I don't want it to go to the second page.

Packed my first box last night. I don't move for two months but man do I love packing :)

hahaha lol

I have thought about packing up my winter clothes etc.. but i havent actually done it yet lol.. maybe that will be next weeks project lol

Members don't see this ad.

hahaha lol

I have thought about packing up my winter clothes etc.. but i havent actually done it yet lol.. maybe that will be next weeks project lol

That's what I packed! Sweaters, sweatshirts, flannels, winter boots. It was 90 degrees here last week so I can't see needing those things any time soon. I'm trying to figure out what else I can pack next. Packing something and then needing it next month would be pretty annoying.

That's what I packed! Sweaters, sweatshirts, flannels, winter boots. It was 90 degrees here last week so I can't see needing those things any time soon. I'm trying to figure out what else I can pack next. Packing something and then needing it next month would be pretty annoying.

office supplies?? bookshelves ?? I dont see myself reading a book within the next month...except the ones on my ipad lol so my bookcase is #2 on my list of things to pack.

Members don't see this ad :)
Packed my first box last night. I don't move for two months but man do I love packing :)

My mother burst into my room Sunday morning as I was trying to nap after being at work for the last time and had a little panic about moving (I'm leaving in only 5 weeks or so....).
So now like half of my stuff is packed. Just a bit early....

It is kind of fun though going through stuff and getting rid of a few large bags of things that have been in my room for years and years.

I've done winter stuff, 90% of riding clothes (leaving out just a pair of breeches), all books but small shelf I'm currently reading, and my kitchen things (that honestly never got fully unpacked after moving back post-graduating).
Next would probably be suits and dressy clothes since I know I won't need those.

Books are a great idea. I can definitely put some of those away (although I was going to try packing them in our rolly-suitcases since they're so heavy). Office stuff would be a good start too except that I know there's a ton of paperwork and crap in there I need to get rid of and that's not "fun." :laugh:

I was thinking that kitchen stuff would be last but I can probably pack up some rarely used things like my slow cooker, vases, cake pans, etc.

Wow, I haven't even thought about packing a SINGLE thing, yet! Apparently I need to get on it, lol.

I'm not moving (SO and I moved to Davis last summer), but this seems like the appropriate thread for this:
The kitchen and main bathroom in my house are getting renovated - I mean completely. Down to the studs. They started the demolition today, with only two days warning. So guess what I did all of yesterday? Yep, I packed up all the stuff in the kitchen and bathroom, found places to shove all the stuff elsewhere in the house, and set up a sort of "mini kitchen" where we'll be doing all our food prep and such while they do the work. It's just a table, a set of plastic shelves, and the refrigerator, with a power strip to plug in the microwave and stuff (not looking forward to no kitchen sink for six weeks - I see many restaurant meals in my future). SO MANY BOXES OF STUFF EVERYWHERE. We cook a LOT, so there are boxes full of tart pans and mini muffin tins and huge sautee pans and ramekins and spice grinders and such all over the living room. :laugh:

I'm not moving (SO and I moved to Davis last summer), but this seems like the appropriate thread for this:
The kitchen and main bathroom in my house are getting renovated - I mean completely. Down to the studs. They started the demolition today, with only two days warning. So guess what I did all of yesterday? Yep, I packed up all the stuff in the kitchen and bathroom, found places to shove all the stuff elsewhere in the house, and set up a sort of "mini kitchen" where we'll be doing all our food prep and such while they do the work. It's just a table, a set of plastic shelves, and the refrigerator, with a power strip to plug in the microwave and stuff (not looking forward to no kitchen sink for six weeks - I see many restaurant meals in my future). SO MANY BOXES OF STUFF EVERYWHERE. We cook a LOT, so there are boxes full of tart pans and mini muffin tins and huge sautee pans and ramekins and spice grinders and such all over the living room. :laugh:

Go to walmart and buy all disposable stuff! It will save your sanity.

(there's also a small muffin "tin" thingy for the microwave. It actually makes pretty good muffins)

Go to walmart and buy all disposable stuff! It will save your sanity.

(there's also a small muffin "tin" thingy for the microwave. It actually makes pretty good muffins)

We've got some disposable plates leftover from some parties, but we're planning a Target run tonight, yeah.
Fortunately, we have a toaster oven and some bakeware that fits in it. Where might I find this intriguing microwave muffin...dish?

We've got some disposable plates leftover from some parties, but we're planning a Target run tonight, yeah.
Fortunately, we have a toaster oven and some bakeware that fits in it. Where might I find this intriguing microwave muffin...dish?

Can't remember off-hand. I want to say Target is where I found mine. It's silicone. You can also get individual silicone muffin cups.

Ugh, packing...I'm only moving about an hour away for vet school, but my parents are moving across the lake in the next couple of weeks so I have to pack up everything to move there. And it feels like I just packed up my apartment at undergrad, too!

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow, 6 weeks is a long time without a kitchen... but at least you're getting a brand new one! That's amazing. I was thinking about what stuff to start packing earlier and my ramekins were on the list. Not 10 minutes later I stumbled upon a recipe for individual chocolate chip cookie-cakes so out the ramekins come. I'll probably leave kitchen stuff for last. :p

If you need boxes for books, I have found that fluid boxes from Baxter work amazingly well, and if you work for a clinic you can usually get a tons of them for free :) THey just never get too heavy!

If you need boxes for books, I have found that fluid boxes from Baxter work amazingly well, and if you work for a clinic you can usually get a tons of them for free :) THey just never get too heavy!

ahhhh clever. fluid boxes are probably really good considering how much of a struggle it is to get them torn open to recycle. good thought!

ahhhh clever. fluid boxes are probably really good considering how much of a struggle it is to get them torn open to recycle. good thought!

those boxes are the bane of my existence when I'm trying to break things down for recycling.

those boxes are the bane of my existence when I'm trying to break things down for recycling.

just break them down and put them in your car instead :D Seriously though, all of my books fit into about 15 of them, and none are too heavy to lift, plus they stack like tetris blocks in a trailer/storage unit

I initially planned to rent a uhaul trailer but learned I need to spend $400 to attach the needed hitch bumping my cost. I got a good deal from UPACK.com renating a stroage unit and they will ship it to my new home in two days. Same concept as PODS but do not require the minimum 30 day rental thus lowering the expense dramatically.

Got a 8x7x6 trailer with shipping and delivery from old house to new house for $780 ( 540 miles). Price includes everything.

So I ma just driving my Subaru forrester to drive personal stuff, my cat and my boyfriend whom I bought a one way flight tix to NJ. He will help em move so that saves mover expense. flight was cheaper than movers =).

I am very nervous about renting a place i am unable to visit and inspect personally. I chosea more expensive place in a known good neighbohood/ new development and once moved, will look for cheaper places once I know the area better. Hope my experience offers tips to us inter stater travelers who are also soon to be colleagues!!!:love:

I initially planned to rent a uhaul trailer but learned I need to spend $400 to attach the needed hitch bumping my cost. I got a good deal from UPACK.com renating a stroage unit and they will ship it to my new home in two days. Same concept as PODS but do not require the minimum 30 day rental thus lowering the expense dramatically.

Got a 8x7x6 trailer with shipping and delivery from old house to new house for $780 ( 540 miles). Price includes everything.

So I ma just driving my Subaru forrester to drive personal stuff, my cat and my boyfriend whom I bought a one way flight tix to NJ. He will help em move so that saves mover expense. flight was cheaper than movers =).

I am very nervous about renting a place i am unable to visit and inspect personally. I chosea more expensive place in a known good neighbohood/ new development and once moved, will look for cheaper places once I know the area better. Hope my experience offers tips to us inter stater travelers who are also soon to be colleagues!!!:love:

Sounded like an awesome idea and I just did a quote for my move... almost $1500. :eek:

This thread makes me glad that I only have to travel 2.5 hours to school now! (Undergrad was 4.5 hours away...still not bad). I'm not moving until the end of July but my parents were already planning ahead. Instead of renting a U-Haul or something similar, my dad is going to power wash our 3 horse trailer, throw down some drop cloths and load up the furniture :) Glad we have that since I'm bringing all of the big items - couches, dining room table & chairs, and coffee/side tables. Plus my bedroom set & bed. It's definitely going to be full, haha.

I'm probably going to fill my car with my animals stuff. 20 gallon tank + supplies, Cat and her stuff, and my rats and their cage. Anyone ever traveled with rats? Wasn't sure whether to just leave them in their cage or put them in something smaller with only one level so they don't "fall down the stairs" or something.

This thread makes me glad that I only have to travel 2.5 hours to school now! (Undergrad was 4.5 hours away...still not bad). I'm not moving until the end of July but my parents were already planning ahead. Instead of renting a U-Haul or something similar, my dad is going to power wash our 3 horse trailer, throw down some drop cloths and load up the furniture :) Glad we have that since I'm bringing all of the big items - couches, dining room table & chairs, and coffee/side tables. Plus my bedroom set & bed. It's definitely going to be full, haha.

I'm probably going to fill my car with my animals stuff. 20 gallon tank + supplies, Cat and her stuff, and my rats and their cage. Anyone ever traveled with rats? Wasn't sure whether to just leave them in their cage or put them in something smaller with only one level so they don't "fall down the stairs" or something.

Last time I moved my parents were going on vacation and so they loaded my bed, couch, and chair into our boat to haul it to my new place for me :rolleyes:

As far as traveling with rats - I just strapped the full cage (a 10 gallon aquarium with another wire section on top) into the back seat and took off the water bottle (otherwise it leaks everywhere). they basically ran around for a bit and then snuggled up on the bottom in their house.

I had a very spoiled hamster (she lived all by herself in this giant "rat manor" from petco: http://www.petco.com/product/106171...pRated_Rat_1-_-Petco Rat Manor Habitat-106171) and when I traveled with her she had her own little travel bucket. I was often traveling back and forth between home in school in cold weather, so I wanted something solid-sided so the hamster wouldn't get cold. Plus I technically wasn't supposed to have her in my apartment so I needed something inconspicuous. The travel bucket was literally a small bucket with a handle that my dad drilled plenty of air holes into. I'd fill it up with soft blankets and some food, and she'd just snuggle in there for the duration of the trip. The cage broke down flat relatively easily, so I just boxed it up whenever I needed to move it (which wasn't often). I guess it depends on how active your rats are and how well you can pack the cage into your car to make sure it doesn't bounce around too much.

Packed up my school supplies today! Also moved my shoes into this big box thing so that I can still wear them the next month or so but have them easily moved when the time comes!! This is all starting to feel much more real!!

Somehow I am gonna have to do dog, cat, rabbit, snake, and fish (my damn betta who WON"T DIE! :laugh:) almost 1300 miles in two months.

The dog and cat I'm not worried about....they are experienced travelers and have been on many road trips...but the bun bun is probly gonna flip his ****.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The dog and cat I'm not worried about....they are experienced travelers and have been on many road trips...but the bun bun is probly gonna flip his ****.

I did upstate NY to DC (so, shorter than your doing) a few summers ago with rabbit in a cat carrier on the front seat. He did remarkably okay but it was definitely the most stressful drive I've ever done. I don't know how I'd manage with the dog, cat, and fish also.

I had a very spoiled hamster (she lived all by herself in this giant "rat manor" from petco: http://www.petco.com/product/106171...pRated_Rat_1-_-Petco Rat Manor Habitat-106171) and when I traveled with her she had her own little travel bucket. I was often traveling back and forth between home in school in cold weather, so I wanted something solid-sided so the hamster wouldn't get cold. Plus I technically wasn't supposed to have her in my apartment so I needed something inconspicuous. The travel bucket was literally a small bucket with a handle that my dad drilled plenty of air holes into. I'd fill it up with soft blankets and some food, and she'd just snuggle in there for the duration of the trip. The cage broke down flat relatively easily, so I just boxed it up whenever I needed to move it (which wasn't often). I guess it depends on how active your rats are and how well you can pack the cage into your car to make sure it doesn't bounce around too much.

That's the exact cage I have for my rats :)

I have the 10 gallon tank with mesh cover that they came to me in. I think I might just put them in there for the car ride. Enough room to walk around and have their food dish & water bottle but no levels to fall down. I feel like I'd be worrying abou them the whole time and keep turning around to check on them and end up crashing my car...

I did upstate NY to DC (so, shorter than your doing) a few summers ago with rabbit in a cat carrier on the front seat. He did remarkably okay but it was definitely the most stressful drive I've ever done. I don't know how I'd manage with the dog, cat, and fish also.

I did 7 hours in a U-haul cab with my bunny and no air conditioning. I was so scared that he would fall over dead the whole time but he was a trooper. WTF-Definitely make sure you have a backup way to keep bun bun cool if the AC fails!

I did 7 hours in a U-haul cab with my bunny and no air conditioning. I was so scared that he would fall over dead the whole time but he was a trooper. WTF-Definitely make sure you have a backup way to keep bun bun cool if the AC fails!

gahh, that would have scared me so much with no a/c.

I'm normally super-conservative about using AC in the car, but for that drive, my attitude was, "keep it cold!" Going to be the same way with the dog in a month.

Oh wow! No, I'll have all the animals in the air conditioned car with me, the fiancé is gonna drive the truck. My poor car....a little stinky Ark :laugh: I'm thinking dog and cat in backseat, fish and snake in front seat, and bun in the "trunk" ( thank god for hatchbacks!) so the others won't stress him.

Oh wow! No, I'll have all the animals in the air conditioned car with me, the fiancé is gonna drive the truck. My poor car....a little stinky Ark :laugh: I'm thinking dog and cat in backseat, fish and snake in front seat, and bun in the "trunk" ( thank god for hatchbacks!) so the others won't stress him.

at least it's only one of each. imagine a pair of each species in the car!

Yeah, the A/C thing was an unpleasant surprise with the U-Haul.

Good luck to everyone traveling :)

Brought home 2 boxes from work today... Gonna figure out some things to pack in them..

Question- what is the easiest way to move clothes?? I'm thinking about packing up my winter stuff.. Should I fold it all up and put in boxes or just use trash bags and just throw them in... I do have luggage I could use too.... Hmm so any options.. Opinions?

Brought home 2 boxes from work today... Gonna figure out some things to pack in them..

Question- what is the easiest way to move clothes?? I'm thinking about packing up my winter stuff.. Should I fold it all up and put in boxes or just use trash bags and just throw them in... I do have luggage I could use too.... Hmm so any options.. Opinions?

The space saver vacuum bags. They sucked for long term use but were perfet for moving clothes, blankets, pillows, etc

not the best for winter clothes (but could work for hats/gloves/scarves), but I tend to use t-shirts/shorts/etc. to wrap plates/glasses/etc. instead of bubble wrap. two for one.

I think it depends on how you're planning to move and how much stuff you'll have. I started packing my winter clothing, folded, into boxes because boxes (in my opinion) are much easier to move than plastic garbage bags in odd shapes. I'm moving with a moving truck and will have hand trucks so stacking a few boxes on top of each other is fairly easy and in the truck I'll want to stack boxes on top of other boxes too. If I were throwing everything into the back of my car and didn't have that much to move, trash bags might work (although honestly, they rip so easily, I probably wouldn't even use them then). I'm planning on using our roll-y suitcases for books since they're so heavy and clothing will go in boxes. I was going to use all my kitchen and bath towels to pack between dishes but I guess I could use clothing too if I run out!

Great info guys!! I am using a Uhaul for the move.. I have a TON of clothes... Toooo many clothes. I'm working on getting rid of some, but even then I will have too much.. I'm thinking boxes for clothes, easier to move with hand trucks.

How about a list of what NOT to do while moving? Lol I'm sure y'all have learned some good lessons while moving. Wanna share with us?

Great info guys!! I am using a Uhaul for the move.. I have a TON of clothes... Toooo many clothes. I'm working on getting rid of some, but even then I will have too much.. I'm thinking boxes for clothes, easier to move with hand trucks.

How about a list of what NOT to do while moving? Lol I'm sure y'all have learned some good lessons while moving. Wanna share with us?

Don't pack your dishes and glassware in newspaper. There's nothing like haven't to unpack your entire house AND wash every dish and glass you own because everything is covered in black smudges :smack:

Don't do it during a hurricane. BTDT.

Don't pack your dishes and glassware in newspaper. There's nothing like haven't to unpack your entire house AND wash every dish and glass you own because everything is covered in black smudges :smack:

Hahaha this is a great don't do... I swear in movies/ on tv they show people pack dishes like this all the time lol

I would put bunny on the floor of the front seat, in maybe a cat carrier? Cover snake container so they don't freak out. I'd be paranoid having an animal that I can't immediately see and would have to stop and pull over to check on them every 15 minutes.

LOL. I always use sheets of paper towel and use them for their actual purpose after I unpack.

Advertise on Facebook SellIt and Craigslist for packing peanuts and packing material for free. You'd be surprised how many responses you will get. :thumbup:

I would put bunny on the floor of the front seat, in maybe a cat carrier? Cover snake container so they don't freak out. I'd be paranoid having an animal that I can't immediately see and would have to stop and pull over to check on them every 15 minutes.

I'm going to put the snake in a (breathable, obviously) pillowcase and then a deep but open cardboard box - back when I had a 4 snakes and had to move them bacl and forth from southern VA to northern VA, that's how I would always do it and it seemed to work fine. The pillowcase is comforting to them I guess :confused: Although my rat snake would keep trying to get out of it, the tricky little weiner.

I feel like the floor of the front seat would have too much vibration for him? Probably the front seat itself.... I'm just trying to figure out where to put the fish (only a betta and an otto catfish in a 5g tank). The betta I could just do in a cup holder (my old betta made it all the was to TX in a Big Gulp cup!), but that would freak the otto out.

I'm going to put the snake in a (breathable, obviously) pillowcase and then a deep but open cardboard box - back when I had a 4 snakes and had to move them bacl and forth from southern VA to northern VA, that's how I would always do it and it seemed to work fine. The pillowcase is comforting to them I guess :confused: Although my rat snake would keep trying to get out of it, the tricky little weiner.

I feel like the floor of the front seat would have too much vibration for him? Probably the front seat itself.... I'm just trying to figure out where to put the fish (only a betta and an otto catfish in a 5g tank). The betta I could just do in a cup holder (my old betta made it all the was to TX in a Big Gulp cup!), but that would freak the otto out.

I had bunny on the front seat for the same reason with the vibrations on the floor. I also seatbelt in the cat carrier (with cat or rabbit) just in case of sudden stop or whatever so it doesn't go sliding off the seat.

My guinea pigs travel in either their cage (which was a pet store plastic one) or in a small kennel. I prefer the small kennel to be honest. They just sat in the cage and didn't move.

I didn't read through this entire thread, so I'm sorry if this is all repeat information.

I moved from San Antonio, TX to Tucson, AZ a couple years ago. It was a 12+ hour drive. I brought my Jack Russell and whatever else could fit in my Honda Civic because I couldn't afford a moving truck (over $1000). Now I am moving from Tucson to Baton Rouge, but driving through San Antonio on the way. I will be taking 2 dogs and 2 terrariums of geckos in my Civic. This is my advice:

-Media mail what you can. Books are heavy and take up a lot of space. Shipping via media mail costs about $75 for my small collection, but gives me space for about 2 more boxes in the trunk.

-Leave what you can with relatives and have them fly it to you. My boyfriend is coming to see me after the move, so I left all my winter clothes with him in a large suitcase. They don't exceed the 50 lb limit, so all I have to pay is $25 for one way.

-Consider the cost of buying new furniture vs the cost of moving it. I have a large, heavy desk that cost $200 new plus some other small pieces of furniture. My dad was willing to drive it to BR, costing him about $500+ in gas. It'd be cheaper for me to sell it on craigslist and buy new (or used) once I get to BR.

-Auction your need for shipping. For more expensive items such as beds, get bids on shipping. From TX to AZ, I was quoted $200 on uship.com when it would have been over $600 through FedEx.

I thought about flying my dogs but it was going to be $150 per dog plus health certificates if required. If it's the same for your cats, you might want to see how much it would be to board them while you are at your reunion. It might be less than flying and you'd skip the burden of asking someone to care for them.

In my vehicle, it's way bumpier in the back when going over bumps and potholes.

Good on you felinelvr44! The part I detest about moving is the packing. All those decisions to make, all the stress...once I'm packed and on the road I actually have a good time.

My move is complete, and although I still have a few boxes to unpack and things to find homes for, it went amazingly smoothly. I was astounded by how well things went, because I anticipated that a lot of problems could crop up on the road. This is what I did well and poorly, and my advice for what it's worth.

If you are moving pets who are poor travelers, you may be able to increase their travel tolerance if you work at it for a few weeks ahead of time. I put towels down where my cats like to sleep and they got them all kitty'd up. I then moved them into the travel crates, which I left on the floor with the door open. Kitties began voluntarily sleeping in them. The week before the move, I started harnessing my cats every day so they would get accustomed to wearing harnesses (which they hate). I also started doing dry runs, taking cats with me on errands around town, to get them used to riding in the car. I also bought pheromone collars and put one on each cat. The one cat that had any problem with long days in the rental truck was my most nervous and shy girl, and since she is a lap *****, that was solved by pulling her out of the carrier, leashing her, and letting her ride on the passenger's lap. She racked out and enjoyed the ride. I left the harnesses on my cats in the crates so I could pull them out if need arose, and they were great about it. They slept all day, and we had long days (13+ hours of driving). The only downside is that they partied all night in the hotels.

Secondly, I have to highly recommend Penske for those of you who are considering renting equipment. When I called around, they had the best quote and the best deal all around (unlimited miles, new equipment, etc.). The truck we drove was a 16' truck with a car trailer attached, and it was surprisingly car-like in how it handled. Totally easy to drive, and they have a 1-800 number with 24 hour roadside assistance, not that we needed it. With the truck fully loaded and a car on the trailer, we got about 10.7 mpg for the duration of the trip, which is really not bad for a vehicle that big and heavy. Also, their customer service was great. After returning the truck, I found a furniture pad that I had missed. When I called the place I returned it, they laughed it off and told me to hang on to it, they'd just say I turned in all 12. It was nice not to have to make a second trip across town! Normally I am not such a shill, but I was very very pleased with Penske. Additionally, in the trucks that have bucket seats, there is a hugely generous space in the cab between the seats to put things. I stacked three cats in carriers and there was room for more stuff.

Another thing I would recommend is packing using rubbermaid-style totes. I bought 20 18-gallon totes and used them to pack nearly everything. I've used banker's boxes in the past and while those have been useful, they are too small to fit a lot of things. The totes set me back about $100, but I can reuse them the next time I move or I can sell them if I wish. Get the style with good built-in handles, which will make moving easier.

Don't pack your entire kitchen a week ahead of time unless you want to eat a lot of expensive takeout.

Pack a last-in first-out ("first") box. I know this is moving 101, but it helped a great deal. In mine I put all the cleaning supplies, TP, towels, shower curtain, sheets/pillows/comforter (a separate, well-labeled box), rags, paper towels, dish soap, sponge, dish detergent, laundry detergent, tools, battery-operated drill and charger, scissors, 1st aid kit, checkbook/envelopes/stamps, flashlight, lightbulbs (in case the previous tenants cheaped out on you and took theirs, or you want to swap incandescents for CFLs), trash bags, pet food and bowls, vacuum/swiffer/broom (separate and well-labeled), and paper plates. I wish I had put a bottle opener in there too, but since I labeled my totes well, I located it in about 30 seconds.

I labeled labeled labeled boxes...colored tape on all four sides for boxes with specific rooms (purple tape was kitchen, green was bathroom) and then a fat piece of masking tape on which I wrote the contents of the box. This helps a LOT on the other end. I was moving from a 1-br apartment to a 2-br house, so it was good to know where to put boxes on the unloading side.

I put easily crushable items in the car on the trailer. Things like lampshades. Worked like a charm.

Keep a notebook "brain." During the packing and the travels, I wrote down lots of packing lists, to-do checklists, and contact information for hotels, utility companies, my landlords (in case of phone death) and more. I kept it with me the whole time and it was invaluable.

This may seem specific, but why not: I have a smartphone but no data plan. For offline maps, tomtom's app can't be beat. It costs about $30 and is a great GPS app. Additionally, it keeps track of all the businesses in the area along with their phone numbers, which is incredibly useful when you don't have any wifi set up yet at the new place. I was able to find the number of a local pizza place and call ahead to hotels and restaurants as we drove. Super, super useful. I don't think the software is set up very intuitively, but the accuracy and volume of the information is what I bought it for.

I have to put in a shout-out to all the great classmates who showed up to help unpack when we arrived. I put out a call for help on the listserve and about 6 people were able to come unload us on a Sunday. So grateful...they were an amazing help. The bulk of the move was on Friday and Saturday, and that helped with traffic, although that may affect truck rental rates. With Penske, you can rent a truck and change your date later for no charge.

Packing books in rolling suitcases worked great. Furniture pads are great. Also - pack things snugly and use sturdy rope to keep it all from sliding around. So far not a single thing has arrived broken or damaged, including my giant 4'x7' mirror (!).

TL;DR - some tips from a shockingly successful move. Use psy ops on your pets, rent from Penske, totes to pack, a first box, a notebook brain, some rope, suitcases for books, and a GPS app is helpful if you have no data plan. Label stuff.

Last edited:
Office stuff would be a good start too except that I know there's a ton of paperwork and crap in there I need to get rid of and that's not "fun."

If you have a buddy helping you pack, make them go through and sort the piles into "school stuff" "mail" "official stuff" (bank statements, insurance paperwork etc) and any other categories. It's easier to go through and sort once it's been pre-sorted. (Thanks to my sis for doing this for me!)

I am very nervous about renting a place i am unable to visit and inspect personally. I chose a more expensive place in a known good neighborhood/ new development and once moved, will look for cheaper places once I know the area better. Hope my experience offers tips to us inter stater travelers who are also soon to be colleagues!!!:love:

Ask your future classmates if anyone can visit the place on your behalf...the wonderful orcagirl was able to visit my house with my landlord and get some photos. It was such a huge help, and I'm so grateful.

Somehow I am gonna have to do dog, cat, rabbit, snake, and fish (my damn betta who WON"T DIE!

Betta in cupholder, only way to go :)

Yeah my mister went on a newspaper rampage. If you have a dishwasher at your new place, it's not so awful, and for my mental health, I enjoy washing everything when I get to a new place (it's part of my nesting...and there is a surprising amount of dust in a truck/trailer!). Or you can use clothes as padding, or cloth napkins if you use them. Rubbermaid-style totes are very sturdy and absorb shocks very well, but if you use boxes you should consider packing plates on their edges for fewer broken plates.