Crucial to take bio/orgo prereqs prior to applying?

NRGStar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2007
Status (Visible)
I'm a physical science UG and engineering grad student and haven't taken the required orgo chem or biology, but after doing very well on a practice mcat I'm confident I can get a good score taking it this summer regardless. Any reason for me to wait, take all my prereqs, and apply for the 2009 cycle as opposed to applying then taking the rest of my reqs?

Droopy Snoopy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
The Alamo
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
If you think you'll do well on the MCAT then all you have to do is have them out of the way prior to matriculation. Keep in mind though that your actual MCAT scores may vary a great deal from a single practice exam.

baylormed

On the Search
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2005
Right behind you
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
If you think you'll do well on the MCAT then all you have to do is have them out of the way prior to matriculation. Keep in mind though that your actual MCAT scores may vary a great deal from a single practice exam.

Agreed. You need to take many practice exams and score consistently well on them to feel confident about a certain score range.

About the Ads

ryanl

10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Technically, no there isn't a reason to wait.... But even though you are doing well on the practice MCAT's you will most likely do better if you've taken the pre-req courses. I mean, what's one more year?

I guess two other issue to consider, is your UG GPA, and Extra Curriculars

Do you have a very strong GPA? If so(3.7+), then... well, then taking the MCAT may not be as much of a risk. But if you are weak in the GPA area, it would pay to take the pre-req's and really nail the MCAT the first time.

Also if you're weak in your EC's that extra year could be used to improve your EC's....

NRGStar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2007
Status (Visible)
Yeah good call my ECs are fairly weak and my UG gpa isn't stellar, 3.6. Good grad gpa but I doubt they care.

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Yeah good call my ECs are fairly weak and my UG gpa isn't stellar, 3.6. Good grad gpa but I doubt they care.

Go for it. Unless you are trying to get into one of the top med schools you should be golden if you do well on the MCAT. Get above a 29/30 and I'm sure you'll get in somewhere. You should do some extra EC stuff this spring/summer so you can put it on your app.

drc243

10+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I think that not having pre-reqs finished before applying is a big mistake. Without these pre-reqs you do not have a completed application. Getting into med school is very competitive and you put yourself in a hole because everyone else has these prereq classes on their transcript and you dont. If you were missing one pre-req class like bio2 or orgo then it would not be a problem. However, the OP is missing four of the most crucial classes of undergrad. Admissions commitees hone in on these classes as a guage of how well you will do in med school and if you are missing them you appear like an incomplete applicant. G-d willing you should only go through this process once, therefore, you should do it right.

Best,
Dave

P.S. by not having taken these pre-req you also risk not getting your maximum score on the mcat!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.