cruddy clinicals = mentorships?

Started by spazPT
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

spazPT

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello...

I'm a frequent lurker on here, and I have a question about clinical rotations. I'm in the middle of my orthopedic clinical, and it is sub-par for many reasons. Unfortunately, it's out of my control to do much about it. I'm doing what I can to get as much out of it as possible, but the patient population, caseload, clinic policies for what is allowed by students are very limited and I wind up doing very little actual patient care. Since I only get this one useless 2 month clinical for ortho (what I want to do when I graduate), what are my options for when I graduate?

Does anyone know much about the mentorship/"new grads welcome" opportunities that I see online? I really want to live near my family when I graduate, but I have a feeling my options will be limited, due to my shoddy clinical skills :/

Thank you!
 
Hello...

I'm a frequent lurker on here, and I have a question about clinical rotations. I'm in the middle of my orthopedic clinical, and it is sub-par for many reasons. Unfortunately, it's out of my control to do much about it. I'm doing what I can to get as much out of it as possible, but the patient population, caseload, clinic policies for what is allowed by students are very limited and I wind up doing very little actual patient care. Since I only get this one useless 2 month clinical for ortho (what I want to do when I graduate), what are my options for when I graduate?

Does anyone know much about the mentorship/"new grads welcome" opportunities that I see online? I really want to live near my family when I graduate, but I have a feeling my options will be limited, due to my shoddy clinical skills :/

Thank you!

brah (brasephine), I feel your pain but as difficult as it may seem keep a positive spirit and try to soak up all the info you can and if something doesn't make sense ask for their rationale/reasoning. Trust me, I made a similar thread about 8 weeks ago and now feel my last 12 weeks has helped develop my practice.

As far as what to do after you graduate, a residency in ortho would likely be the best option for skill development but also finding a clinic with experienced PTs that would be willing to "take you under their wing" would be a good option.
 
thanks, FNG....
i didn't see your thread...do you mind linking it so i can check it out? thanks!
i'm sorry you didn't have a good experience, but it's uplifting to hear that you're still happy with the results. i am definitely disappointed with my school's clinical placements, but what can you do, right? i am not sure i will want to do a residency right out of school...but i would love to find the kind of clinic to take students under their wings. do you know how to effectively search for those clinics, when the time comes?
thanks again!!!!