Renting during clinicals, general questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fix.Your.Gait

Reaction score
Second year PT, looking over my list of clinical sites for next summer. I'm considering the idea of traveling a little far out and renting. I just have some questions, especially because I never rented before so I'm very much ignorant on these things. I commuted all through undergrad and currently.

I am not working during clinical, so I will have no income.
From what I'm gathering, they ask for income? Is that any different if i'm a student? Being a student might only work in a college area right?
Does it still matter if I am only doing a short-term lease? Do most places do short term and I would just need to inquire?
Rent would be solely from my savings which very much can cover me for the 3 months of clinical, would showing that work?
Are these questions more so for the leasing office?

It's a pretty small chance I'll go through with renting rather than local but would still appreciate the help. If you have any thoughts on me ditching the idea all together because it's not worth the cost then I'll accept those opinions too.

Any tips in general on finding housing also appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

When I went out of state to St. Louis, MO for my last 12 wk clinical rotation I used AirBnb to find an apartment. Just filter your search by the dates of your clinical rotation and you can see what is available. I loved the apartment I had out there.

Not sure how it works for your program, but in mine we ranked our choices and wherever they placed us we had to go. Going to STL wasn't ideal (wasn't even ranked in my top 5...) but I did enjoy exploring the city and I learned a lot on my acute care rotation. The cost of it all was just something I had to accept. Most of that was just for housing, food, gas. I drove my car out there from the east coast and at least had it to get around.

I think if your program lets you choose where you go, you shouldn't limit yourself to only local sites. You should prioritize the sites that most interest you and then go from there.

Second year PT, looking over my list of clinical sites for next summer. I'm considering the idea of traveling a little far out and renting. I just have some questions, especially because I never rented before so I'm very much ignorant on these things. I commuted all through undergrad and currently.

I am not working during clinical, so I will have no income.
From what I'm gathering, they ask for income? Is that any different if i'm a student? Being a student might only work in a college area right?
Does it still matter if I am only doing a short-term lease? Do most places do short term and I would just need to inquire?
Rent would be solely from my savings which very much can cover me for the 3 months of clinical, would showing that work?
Are these questions more so for the leasing office?

It's a pretty small chance I'll go through with renting rather than local but would still appreciate the help. If you have any thoughts on me ditching the idea all together because it's not worth the cost then I'll accept those opinions too.

Any tips in general on finding housing also appreciated.
If you have the money, an airbnb is a great idea. You can bypass contracts and credit checks and so on.
Another thought is student housing, if it's available - a lot of college towns have basically dorms that are privately owned, not owned by the college. Availability might be tied to traditional semester timelines though.

I wouldn't bother trying to find an actual apartment because they will do a credit check and want first/last month's rent and all that, and might want a year contract. I suppose you could offer to just pay cash up front and skip the credit check but I *think* they'd do it anyway. But yes, you'd have to call their leasing offices to inquire.

That all being said, I think unless you have a specific area you are considering living in, it isn't worth the money. That's a lot of money to be burning. I mean, I don't know your financial situation of course, but it just seems like a LOT of unnecessary expenses. If you are targeting an area you're strongly considering living in someday, and also a clinic you'd like to work in someday, then that would make more sense.

sometimes the facility will rent apartments for travelling nurses etc . . . you might ask your CI if they have anything available. Might be free and furnished, ours is.