Doing clinicals out of state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GirlsGoneGaga

Reaction score
Is it common to pick your clinical experiences out of the state where you attend schooling? I am aware that living expenses are on us as the student, but is picking clinicals in various states where you would potentially want to live in the future advisable or common?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in Texas, but considering taking advantage of Indian Health Service Loan Repayment once I graduate. I have voiced my willingness to go to an IHS location in NM or AZ in my last clinical rotation to test that out. Some of the IHS locations are quite remote and offer free housing to students on short term clinical assignments. Not sure if it will work out for me.
I think if there is a particular employer that you are interested in, that it might be worth the extra expense to do a clinical rotation in another state to see if you like them before you make a decision to move there after graduation.

Reactions: 1 user
We were required to do at least one clinical out of area. Schools vary in how they let you choose vs assign clinicals, with varying levels of control in where you go. If you are dead set on a city/state, most likely you'll be able to find some sort of placement there, but might not be your dream clinic/hospital. But keep in mind, you could have a fantastic clinical in a no-name clinic in a tiny town, and a horrible experience at a fantastic center, so keep an open mind!

I go to school in NY. My 1st affiliation was in NYC, but by choice. It really depends on your school if they offer choice in where you go. My 2nd affiliation is in CO and 3rd is in CA. I would say during PT school is a great time to check out places you might want to live!