crying during an interview - game over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We're not talking about depression, we're talking about being over-emotional in answering a question.

Schools have technical standards that they require of their applicants (detailing what they expect us to be capable of).

Behavioral Qualities
A medical student must possess emotional health sufficient to carry out the tasks above, must have good judgment, and must behave in a professional, reliable, mature, and responsible manner.

Quoted from one school, but every school I've seen has something to this effect. Whether it's right or not, an adcom would be perfectly justified in rejecting an applicant solely because of them crying during an interview, with some interpretation of the above.

se2131 said "smack."

Members don't see this ad.

If there's no crying in baseball, there's no crying on interviews.

oh wait you're a guy? Rather possess an inactive masculine part? Gahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

The only time men are allowed to cry is when a) they got an STD b) they got kicked in the balls or c) when they get married

BOOSH!

I think you forgot if you have kidney/ureter stones or you need a catheter being placed.

But on a more serious note, I agree there is a difference between slightly choking up and sobbing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of you are exceptionally cold meanies. :eek: I pity in advance the the sick and dying who will be exposed to your emotionless cost-function personality.

Interviews are not a place to screen and weed out applicants with depression. It is a disease just like diabetes or MS. Barring someone from medical school based on a chronic treatable illness is not only illegal but also immoral.

:laugh:, I always love the "you guys are going to make horrible doctors" crap.

I think for people who typically never cry, it can be hard for them to understand that some people's "cry reflex" can just be really sensitive. For example, I cry at sad movies, touching novels, and happy occasions like weddings. Believe me, if I could stop it, I would, but it's like trying not to sneeze or suppressing a coughing fit. I think my empathy/emotion nerve is just a little too sensitive sometimes, but I'm not really sure how to adjust it. It's not something I can "turn off". To be fair, the tearing up doesn't really affect my mental capacities or judgment in any way, it just makes my face wet and the guy sitting next to me mildly uncomfortable and under the impression that I need to be comforted,

You just described me! I am glad there are people out there who understand. I can't help to cry. It is exactly as you said: it is like trying not to sneeze or cough. Thank you for sharing.

To the OP: I wouldn't mark you off. You are human being with strong feelings and emotions. I am sure you can explain exactly why you are crying if it happens. Good Luck!

I think for people who typically never cry, it can be hard for them to understand that some people's "cry reflex" can just be really sensitive. For example, I cry at sad movies, touching novels, and happy occasions like weddings. Believe me, if I could stop it, I would, but it's like trying not to sneeze or suppressing a coughing fit. I think my empathy/emotion nerve is just a little too sensitive sometimes, but I'm not really sure how to adjust it. It's not something I can "turn off". To be fair, the tearing up doesn't really affect my mental capacities or judgment in any way, it just makes my face wet and the guy sitting next to me mildly uncomfortable and under the impression that I need to be comforted,

So I think it probably depends on who your interviewers are. Crying can mean a lot of things depending on the person I think, it could be a sign of weakness under stress, or it could just be a personality quirk. If I were an interviewer, I would just see if the crying was having an effect on how well the interviewer could continue to answer my questions. As long as it doesn't make them turn into a blubbering idiot, it'd be fine with me. But there are probably others out who look down on people who can't "control themselves". I guess you just have to hope your interviewer is the understanding sort who isn't quick to cast judgment.

You know, I do wonder if there's something biological going on with people who cry. I come from a family of sentimental easy criers, so we do all cry at weddings, movies, etc.. My tear up response is pretty strong, but I can generally suppress the breaking into tears, weaping sort of thing. I'm wondering if the op is breaking up or tearing up -- tearing up can seem sincere while breaking up might seem either fake or overly emotional. So if breaking up is the issue, I'd work on controlling that. I don't think you really can control the tearing up -- it just happens.

I also think it depends on what you're crying about. Crying about deeply emotional things like the death of someone close to you is probably OK. Crying about being a doctor in general seems a little overemotional.

Next time, you should try to choke out the following: "I'm just so happy to be here!"

Seriously though, if I were your interviewer, I might think it a little odd but I wouldn't hold it against you if I knew why you were tearing up. If it does happen during an interview, go into your background (impoverished, etc.) and how it is motivating you to become a doctor. Remember, they are trying to understand why you want to become a doctor and who you are. Going into what is obviously a very personal reason for becoming a physician is a great way to highlight it. Relate your own experience to what you want to accomplish as a doctor, and I as an interviewer would think that 1. You definitely are passionate about your path and 2. You have sincere reasons for being enthusiastic.

That's my two cents. Good luck.