CRYING during interview...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I started crying during one of my interviews and it ended up being one of the best interviews/conversations I ever had. My interviewed asked me about my mom and I began to talk about how she came to the U.S. alone wanting a better life and how she sacrificed everything for my sisters and I to have good education and opportunities. When I started talking about how hard I'll work so my mom has a good retirement I really began to tear up and cry but it was definately from the heart! I think my interviewer appreciated my honesty and he shared some personal stuff too. At the end of the interview he said.."Don't worry...i'll get you in this school" and I had an acceptance 2 weeks later!

awwwwww...That's so sweet. It really depends on your interviewer. If it is a sweet, cute blonde female, you're fine. Now, there are certain individuals who can't stand being or seeing "unprofessionalism"......but on second thought......

Imma ppack a couple of onions on my first interview...

Members don't see this ad.

What's so tragic about IT lol

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe:
Motherboards on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched status LEDs glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time,
Like tears in rain.
*clears throat*

I can SO relate to this. Even when I was gathering ideas for PS and I started to talk about my mom with my friends, I found my self all choked up. I think if you do it genuinely during the interview, it will show a soft side of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would probably try not to cry during the interview. It might be seen as a sign of weakness. Yeah, definitely don't risk crying.

Agreed.. try your hardest not to however hard it may be=/

I can SO relate to this. Even when I was gathering ideas for PS and I started to talk about my mom with my friends, I found my self all choked up. I think if you do it genuinely during the interview, it will show a soft side of you.

Lol, just genuinely get choked up during the interview...it'll look great. Also, remember OP, it's not a lie if you believe it.

Seriously, though, don't cry...or lie. You're probably not as good at it as you think.

:thumbup:

All those moments will be lost in time,
Like tears in rain.
*clears throat*

I agree. As time passes, things that would be difficult to talk about now will become easier to talk about later.

Thanks.

this is a legit q. shame on the posters who think this is trolling.

it is hard for me to imagine a situation where crying is advantageous during an interview.

u will be seen as either weak or fake.

harden your heart and swallow your tears.

I got a little misty talking about my father during my interview. Still got accepted. They must like weak candidates at my school. Or fake candidates. Or both.

Here's the situation: The interviewer asked me what it was like being a 20 year old with no medical experience, thrust into the position of being the sole caretake of his father who was dying from cancer. I told her about having to clean up his vomit, help him dress and bathe, take him to chemo, help him drain the gross tubing sticking out of his lymph nodes, and cook him meals, while working 30 hours a week plus being a top student in school.

That interviewer must have seen right through me! I am so weak!

Only through the anonymity of the internet can I even face this shame!

Reactions: 1 user
I got a little misty talking about my father during my interview. Still got accepted. They must like weak candidates at my school. Or fake candidates. Or both.

Here's the situation: The interviewer asked me what it was like being a 20 year old with no medical experience, thrust into the position of being the sole caretake of his father who was dying from cancer. I told her about having to clean up his vomit, help him dress and bathe, take him to chemo, help him drain the gross tubing sticking out of his lymph nodes, and cook him meals, while working 30 hours a week plus being a top student in school.

That interviewer must have seen right through me! I am so weak!

Only through the anonymity of the internet can I even face this shame!

My goodness. You have a very powerful story. I commend your strength, dedication, and your unwavering determination to overcome everything you were having to juggle. By no means would I ever think that you were weak. Showing that you went through a tragic experience, worked, and managed to stay on top of your studies shows tremendous strength! It would have been impossible not to show a little emotion when talking about that.

Though in some cases it may seem fake or weak to tear up, I highly doubt adcoms will hold it against you if are expressing a devastating experience. You deserved that acceptance. You CLEARLY showed that you are strong and well able. Congratulations and I wish you the best in all future endeavors.

Thanks for posting!

Ask yourself this: Would you want your doctor to cry in front of you when you came in for a checkup?

Not for a routine checkup. Only if there was bad news.

Seriously, I would say it would work against you to cry in a med school interview. Or any type of interview for that matter. You wouldn't want to cry at a job interview, either.

There was a physician speaking about the interviewing process during one of our pre-medical club meetings. He mentioned that he likes to see the honesty and compassion of the interviewees during the interview. He asked one interviewee about an experience in her life that had a great impact to her. She answered when she was able to reconcile with her brother after many years of falling-out. She was tearing up when she was explaining the story. It took a few minutes to calm down but she continued on with the interview.

The physician, who spoke of this moment, said he did not see crying during the interview as a bad thing and in fact showed the compassion he was looking for. He stated you do not need to cry during an interview to show compassion but crying is not a negative thing. Although he could not say this to the interviewee (the interviewer has to keep a neutral stance on this and cannot hint whether one is doing good or bad).

In my opinion, it is okay to feel emotional during the interview but remember to keep budging on. You still have to show the interviewers the complete you. Ask the interviewer to give you a few moments to gain back you composure and then continue on. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I made one of my interviewer's cry and still got into the school, with a full ride actually. So a little crying never hurts!

Try this:

[YOUTUBE=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-of1ZVHRs]Good idea[/YOUTUBE]

Physicians need to keep their composure under critical situations.

There was a physician speaking about the interviewing process during one of our pre-medical club meetings. He mentioned that he likes to see the honesty and compassion of the interviewees during the interview. He asked one interviewee about an experience in her life that had a great impact to her. She answered when she was able to reconcile with her brother after many years of falling-out. She was tearing up when she was explaining the story. It took a few minutes to calm down but she continued on with the interview.

The physician, who spoke of this moment, said he did not see crying during the interview as a bad thing and in fact showed the compassion he was looking for. He stated you do not need to cry during an interview to show compassion but crying is not a negative thing. Although he could not say this to the interviewee (the interviewer has to keep a neutral stance on this and cannot hint whether one is doing good or bad).

In my opinion, it is okay to feel emotional during the interview but remember to keep budging on. You still have to show the interviewers the complete you. Ask the interviewer to give you a few moments to gain back you composure and then continue on. :thumbup:

Thank you for sharing this! :thumbup:

troll-face.jpg
?
Hahahahah!!!!! This made me laugh so hard!!! What is up with demh23's avatar lol!!!! That thing looks so weird!

If you must cry, quarantine it to when you're talking about your mom. I don't think it would seem fake to cry when talking about your own mother's cancer experience, but if it was about other patients then the situation is different. You should be able to distance yourself enough that your patients don't have a huge impact on your own emotional stability.

Don't cry. We have different voice inflections for a reason - use them. If the interviewer talked about something that made you mad would it be appropriate to punch them? If they said something hot would it be appropriate to jump them right then and there? No, you wait until the interview is over

Remember this:

it elicited two responses:
1. she was faking
2. she's weak and won't be able to handle the pressure

just like hillary clinton you're a woman (i'm assuming) who is trying to get into a male-predominant profession and showing that kind of emotion in a setting like an interview might not go over well at all.

Actually her poll numbers among women shot through the roof after this happened if I remember right.

Anyways, crying during a med school interview is probably not good for the many reasons stated - but I'd also remember there's a difference between being sensitive/emotional, choked up, crying, and sobbing. The first two are fine as long as they don't dominate the interview in my opinion, while one should cry rarely and never sob.