Crying during interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Malcolm1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it ok?

Members don't see this ad.

Only reason I ask is because I had an experience through an international program that was really shattering and changed the way I looked at people's dependence on dentistry. But whenever I try talking about it, I kind of choke up a little and am not sure how it would project in an interview situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only reason I ask is because I had an experience through an international program that was really shattering and changed the way I looked at people's dependence on dentistry. But whenever I try talking about it, I kind of choke up a little and am not sure how it would project in an interview situation.

To me, it might seem cheesy, forced, and fake. To others, it might seem heart-warming/touching.

The risk outweighs the reward. I would play it conservative and refrain from crying/tearing up.

No matter what you do, you need to present yourself as strong individual. Some tearing may be fine, but don't start crying.

Sounds like you need to grow a pair and experience real sadness. Seriously makes me wonder what drives your emotions. :scared:

The vision is greatly impaired when crying during a procedure.

Is it ok?

Don't cry during an interview, regardless of what is being discussed. You'll look mentally fragile, the exact opposite of what is supposed to be conveyed during an interview.

Unless they somehow hit your buttons about a family death or tradgic event (maybe from your PS), I would NOT cry. At all. No tears of joy/misery.

There's no crying in baseball... or dental school interviews.

There was a similar thread on the pre-med forums regarding this. I suggest you don't cry because it would make the situation really awkward. You don't have to cry to show compassion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Might as well wear a dress and paint your nails for the interview....

I agree with what most people have said -- avoid crying during an interview. We've all experienced tough circumstances in our lives and admissions committees know that. But you've also had plenty of time to reflect on the experience and I think crying might rub some people the wrong way. My advice would be to talk about it as much as you can between now and your interview so the tears don't start flowing. I was on an admissions committee at my dental school, and although some people may have found it heartfelt, I think most would be a bit confused by it. Hope this is helpful!

And PS... if the story is powerful enough that it has made you cry in the past, you should most definitely share it. Just work past the tears.

If you are a dude: Do not cry!!...even if they pepper spray you....do not cry.

If you are a chic: Go ahead and cry if they pepper spray you but just no snot bubbles

Dude, if you cry over that, then they'll probably think you're going to cry when you get your first B in dental school.

Rejection pile.

Last edited:
Exactly. It's also a bit pretentious and just plain corny.

It's only pretentious if you are assuming the OP is faking it. Some people are just more emotional and unable to hold back tears when talking about specific situations.

The outcome depends on the person that interviews you. If he is a cynic, you are screwed. IMO, its too risky to cry and should just practice as much as possible to hold back the tears.

On a less serious (joking) note, if your a really pretty girl, crying might just work :laugh:

the fact that you're asking about this in advance only proves that you're insincerely trying to milk that experience for all its worth. adcoms (and any normal human being in any other setting) are going to see right though your bs.

I'm asking in advance because it is difficult for me to control. I just wanted to know the reaction that adcoms might have. I would assume in a profession of caring that these adcoms would like someone to show passion and emotion.

I'm asking in advance because it is difficult for me to control. I just wanted to know the reaction that adcoms might have. I would assume in a profession of caring that these adcoms would like someone to show passion and emotion.

If it is okay, are you going to cry in order to gain sympathy votes? Sure, the adcoms must accept you because you show true passion and emotion.

the fact that you're asking about this in advance only proves that you're insincerely trying to milk that experience for all its worth. adcoms (and any normal human being in any other setting) are going to see right though your bs.

:thumbup:

stewie-1.gif

Interview Rules:
No crying
No staring at boobs
Keep eye contact roughly 90% with an occasional 10% look away to discourage uncomfortable eye laser burns.
Sit up straight.
Don't talk about your world of warcraft character.

Interview Rules:
No crying
No staring at boobs
Keep eye contact roughly 90% with an occasional 10% look away to discourage uncomfortable eye laser burns.
Sit up straight.
Darn it!!!! No staring at boobs cause it causes eye laser burns right?

Dental schools' ad coms' boobs will shoot out nitrous oxide and gas ya, kinda like those girls from Austin Powers, if you stare at them too long.

Interview Rules:
No crying
No staring at boobs
Sit up straight.

LOL :thumbup:

Are you going to cry each time you help a patient in need?

I don't think the crying will help you...it may do the opposite.

Yeah seriously as others have said, don't cry.

How would you go about this if you saw a similar situation in the real world, ie in practice, would you cry and run out of the room? Or suck it up and do what needs to be done? I'd wager the latter.

Crying is only acceptable at funerals and the Grand Canyon

WTF is up with this, you guys are such noobs its like every month some noob comes up with the idea to ask a hypothetical question because they want to know if being a sissy fake actress will help them. You are a big dopey fake and you fully-well know that whatever experience you had does not have as big of an impact as you want it to seem, trust me honey you do not care about teeth -- NOBODY does -- at least, not enough to make them cry... same with this noob who i had to tell off very sternly and she got the point

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823271

NOW PLEASE how about you just chill , im chill so u be chill, just chill during summer break and next fall when school starts again you can resume your fake actress drama where you get emotional in class and cry about emerson so you can get brownie points with prof

STEPS FOR CRYING IN INTERVIEW

1) secretly hate yourself
2) cry in a vain effort to cover up for your lack of interesting life experiences
3) interviewer secretly laughs at you
4) ?????
5) profit

I tear up whenever I laugh coz I don't how to laugh in moderation...I just crack up! You and I have the same problem except in opposite ends of the spectrum.

OP, everyone here is an idiot and giving you the wrong advice. Crying is an AUTO LOCK for admission/acceptance/whatever the F youre trying to do. For my interview at TGI Fridays I walked into the room weeping and mumbled incoherently for 2-3 minutes... every time there is awkward silence hit em with another burst of wailing and moans.

They will eventually stop asking if you are ok and ask if they need to call the police. Instantly stop crying and give them the craziest smile you got to show them you mean business. Start to chant JOB ME JOB ME (or SCHOOL ME) in your case and pound the table, your chest, anything that will reverberate. This strategy not only got me the job but two free nights in the drunk tank as well, ENJOY~

lol go to acting school instead of dental school

if you're talking about this experience in an interview and you start to choke up, just take a deep breath to calm yourself and go on.

Last edited:

IF YOU CAN AVOID IT, DO NOT CRY.

If the interviewers are faculty of the dental school, then they are likely dentists themselves. You HAVE to be able to handle emotionally demanding situations as a dentist.. especially in front of patients. And if after treating a heart-tearing case, you walk back into your office and break down then you'll live a sad life and be un-happy. A change in perspective would do you well, I think.

Dentistry is a TOUGH profession. It is tough academically, physicially, mentally, emotionally, financially.. in many ways.

However, YOU ARE 100% CORRECT in saying dentists must show passion. You do not have to "get emotional" to show passion, but showing some emotion is OK.

If you ABSOLUTELY HAVE to talk about a situation that tugs on your heart strings to that extent, but that also contributed to your passion for dentistry, then limit it to notable watery eyes when speaking of the experience, but with a smile on your face. And if the interviewer seems slightly uncomfortable, laugh and apologize, and assure him/her that it was a profound experience with a profound impact on your drive for dentistry.

Everyone has experiences that have potential to make them choke up. You're interview is a time to avoid those. If it is a must, then go to therapy and talk it out a bit so you can verbalize it in a passionate, yet emotionally stable, manner.

I tear up whenever I laugh coz I don't how to laugh in moderation...I just crack up! You and I have the same problem except in opposite ends of the spectrum.

OMG I hope my interviewers aren't funny b/c my eyes start pouring out the tears, and I am not a cute cryer!

Well, I have to preface this with I think it's best to not cry during interviews. That being said, I did tear up during my first interview even though I had spent weeks practicing potential the trigger question that could set me off(it was a personal family issue that had to do with why I was financially unable to attend college for a year...so there was one year that I had community college credit-I wasn't trying to boost my GPA-I really could not afford my regular tuition).

Anyway, the interviewer asked why I had switched to the CC classes and I teared up a little explaining why and luckily the interviewer was understanding. I did not end up full-on crying, but I brushed a few tears out from the corner of my eyes and moved on. It was a sincere moment, I was not faking it so if the tears come naturally during your interview don't sweat it. Interviewers can smell a rat from a mile away so don't stress so much about how you need to stop yourself form shedding a tear or two. But if you can, do practice answering your potential tear-jerker questions ahead of time to avoid an all-out sob fest. Hope this helps.

There are two types of people on this thread:

1. the type that is heartless and assumes that other people are also always heartless.
2. the type that is actually trying to help.

May the 2nd type of people prosper.