C's, D's, F's, and W's on ur transcript. Acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of each did you have when you applied?

Say whether it was fresh/soph/Jr yr that you received the grades, and the extent to which it has hindered you.

Members don't see this ad.

two Cs freshman year in pre-reqs.

one C sophomore year in sociology (i know, i know).

otherwise almost all As.

3 acceptances out of way too many apps.

ok here goes... it's not pretty...

frosh: 3 C's (two of those from a p/f covered semester so i don't know if they count) - two in prereqs
soph: 2 C's - one in a prereq
junior: 2 C's - both in prereqs

man, it looks like i bombed almost all my prereqs but made A's in all the upper div sciences and most of the rest of my classes... but i am accepted to one of my state schools... and that's all that matters for me!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's great you guys. See, i think i'm looking at only 2 C's, one is still to be determined, but both would be in junior year...and both would end up being in physics...

and they say it's worse to get C's later in your college career, but i really can't help it... i wish i can get at a least a B this semester tho..

Bad grades suck

I had a big ole C in anatomy from my sophomore year which really brought down my GPA (b/c it was a 7 unit class!). Most of my other grades in pre-med classes were B's. Over two application cycles, I've been admitted to five medical schools, all in California. I don't think a C or two will totally sink you, but I suspect my 3.3 science GPA wasn't a totally irrelevant factor in my rejections. :(

Originally posted by DrSal
See, i think i'm looking at only 2 C's, one is still to be determined, but both would be in junior year...and both would end up being in physics...

DrSal,

my two C's junior year were both in physics as well... i hate that subject with a passion and can't understand it for the life of me... and it showed... in my grades, and in my MCAT haha.

like everyone else said... a few C's will not sink you...

good luck!

Originally posted by English Chick
I don't think a C or two will totally sink you...

... An "F", however, will.

"Dude, you've sunk my battleship!"

CCW

I had two Ws. One freshman year and one junior. (The junior one was a weird accident with a shortened drop deadline. Unfortunately, I never got off my lazy a$$ to petition getting rid of it.) No Cs, Ds or Fs.

I've gotten into six schools including NU and Columbia.

yo yall with the C's, have they ever brought it up in interviews?

5 Cs
1 D
1 F
1 W

strong upward trend though and went to graduate school before applying...i did have pretty much all As in my junior and senior years, as well as in grad school...plus a fairly decent MCAT score..but nonetheless, no one has asked me about the undergrad grades and i have a few acceptances so far.

Originally posted by jhk43
yo yall with the C's, have they ever brought it up in interviews?

I've had a few C's and two W's. At least half of my interviewers asked me what was up with my grades. I can remember at least two schools where they sat down with me and went through every grade on my transcript and asked me to explain myself.

It is definately not the end of the world if you have C's or W's. Just make sure that you make up for it (by A's in upper level classes or a fantastic MCAT score). Also, make sure you have a good excuse so that you can explain yourself during interviews.

A's do matter...but all I can say is that I've had C's and I'm headed to med. school next year.

Two C+'s in both semesters of O-Chem (wicked subject!)

W for 1 semester of Phsyics (but then I got an A-)

Accepted into a CA school, among others...Have a great overall appliction to make up for it. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
1 D+ (History class Freshman year)
1 D (Organic Chemistry II, but have a reason)
1 C+ (Organic Chemistry I)
1 C (In a PSYC class; only C ever in any psych course)
0 F

Might add another C/C+ if I don't pick up the slack for organic II this term. 5 W's, 2 of which were in classes I dropped because I switched majors. They never reappear on the transcript. So I effectively have 3.

Applying this summer, but have spoken to admissions counselors at various schools and they say I'm not in any trouble.

Two C+s (in tough classes), no Ds, no Fs, no Ws.

Didn't seem to affect my application.

freshman year: Cs there were three
sophomore year: Cs...there were none
junior year: Cs...i believe a pair more if i recall correctly...
senior year: either 1 or none...

i dont have my transcript in front of me and its been many a year...

and yes my grades were brought up into question but only for the interview to comment that they were impressed i was able to rebound after my freshman year...and get relatively decent grades with the large amount of units i took (around 19-22) almost every semester i took after freshman year.

freshman - 2 C's both in gen chem
sophomore - 2 C+'s one in orgo I (A on retake), 2 C's one in orgo II (B on retake) and one in bio II, 1 C- in bio III (A- on retake), 1 F in orgo III (C- on retake)
junior - 1 C
senior - dean's list two quarters

total of 10 bad grades, 7 in the sciences

slightly above-average mcat
first-time applicant
completed apps at 8 schools
2 interviews
1 accept, 1 still don't know

i am a very lucky--and grateful--girl indeed.

Freshman: 1F (covered), 1 D+ 2 C/C+
Soph: 2W, 6 C/C+
Jr 1st sem: 2 C/C+

Most of these were in pre-reqs too.

I cringe when I look at my ugrad transcript, partially b/c its so ugly and partially b/c it reminds me of what a screwed up person I was back then. Adcoms do forgive if you change your ways!

18 interviews, went to 10, accept 6, waitlist 4

Originally posted by Dallenoff
*sigh*

engineering gives it to me in the rear...

I hear ya. Oh how I envied my classmates who were bio majors. :)

A C+ in Gchem freshman year; made up for it later in postbacc with an A. Two D's in Shakespeare and CompSci. I get asked about it every damn interview. One acceptance yet.:horns:

Well,
I think I would take the cake in a low grade comp. I have worse than even exmike, but if you want details you can pm me.

2 rejections, 4 interviews, went to 2 and 2 acceptances, 5 schools I don't know yet. I already got accepted to one of my top choices so I'm not too concerned.

1 D freshman year.

I've been asked about it at two interviews. It wasn't that big of a deal, except that it took a chunk from my magna cum laude GPA

PS. Future advice, if you're going to get a D, WITHDRAW! It's not worth it on the good ol GPA

Reactions: 1 user
I had about a dozen F's from a community college and was academically dismissed. I took 4 years off, went in the military, got my priorities straight, came back to school, got a 3.76 cum, did good on the MCAT and successfully applied and was accepted to a DO school.

However, the allopathic schools were essentially closed to me, because AMCAS averages the retaken courses. Osteopathic schools, (AACOMAS) takes the higher of the retaken grades and leaves math out of the science GPA. So, to a DO school, I had a fantastic science GPA and and a slightly above average overall GPA. BUT, to allopathic schools, I had a pathetic GPA, like a 2.5. This issue did come up in my interviews, although looking back, I probably stressed about it way too much.

Anyway, I'm more than happy to have the chance to go to medical school and I'm very appreciative that DO schools do indeed 'look beyond the numbers'. I'm not saying a DO school is better than an MD, or any of that SDN flame war nonsense, but DO schools do tend to be receptive to an older, non-trad, 'second chance' student