C's in Organic Chemistry Lecture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JonWin

Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently finishing up my sophomore year at Texas A&M and I just found out a few days ago that I made a high C in organic chemistry 2 even though I put more effort into it than I did with organic chemistry 1 (very high C, was short of a B by 3 test points). Since I made a switch to Chemistry at the beginning of my sophomore year, I was forced to take the Chemistry majors only section for both O-Chem 1 and 2. It was a much more accelerated and difficult course compared to the "regular" organic chemistry sections that my non-chemistry major friends took. I have to say that taking this course kind of destroyed my self-esteem, but I am ready to bounce back and do well in my other pre-requisites such as microbiology and genetics next year.

I also took the organic chemistry labs (5 hours overall) for chemistry majors only with O-chem 2 lab being a writing intensive course. I am expecting to maintain an A average in the lab portion. As for the grades in my other classes, I am doing okay (3.44 gpa cumulative). However, the C's in the lecture are killing my math/science gpa (went from 3.5 to 3.2).

I was just wondering if I should just accept the grades, not re-take the course, and try to improve myself in the upper level chemistry/biology courses. I made A's in the general chemistry lectures and labs. It is important to mention that there are no +/- in the grading system here, so I will have C's on the transcript and not C+. I am only applying to pharmacy schools in Texas, and I would love to go to UT COP. Also, my organic chemistry II professor was very difficult but was also very good in terms of teaching. I was wondering if it would be a good idea if I get a letter of recommendation from him when the time to apply for pharmacy school comes.

Thanks if you can share your opinions with me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am currently finishing up my sophomore year at Texas A&M and I just found out a few days ago that I made a high C in organic chemistry 2 even though I put more effort into it than I did with organic chemistry 1 (very high C, was short of a B by 3 test points). Since I made a switch to Chemistry at the beginning of my sophomore year, I was forced to take the Chemistry majors only section for both O-Chem 1 and 2. It was a much more accelerated and difficult course compared to the "regular" organic chemistry sections that my non-chemistry major friends took. I have to say that taking this course kind of destroyed my self-esteem, but I am ready to bounce back and do well in my other pre-requisites such as microbiology and genetics next year.

I also took the organic chemistry labs (5 hours overall) for chemistry majors only with O-chem 2 lab being a writing intensive course. I am expecting to maintain an A average in the lab portion. As for the grades in my other classes, I am doing okay (3.44 gpa cumulative). However, the C's in the lecture are killing my math/science gpa (went from 3.5 to 3.2).

I was just wondering if I should just accept the grades, not re-take the course, and try to improve myself in the upper level chemistry/biology courses. I made A's in the general chemistry lectures and labs. It is important to mention that there are no +/- in the grading system here, so I will have C's on the transcript and not C+. I am only applying to pharmacy schools in Texas, and I would love to go to UT COP. Also, my organic chemistry II professor was very difficult but was also very good in terms of teaching. I was wondering if it would be a good idea if I get a letter of recommendation from him when the time to apply for pharmacy school comes.

Yea... O-Chem is a tough class. Retaking the class is a decision that you would best know what to do. Getting a C in both semesters is not the most ideal situation, but many have been in your shoes and still got accepted to pharmacy school. If all of your grades are good, and all you have is these two C's, I think you should be OK..

I think the "O-chem for chem majors" is the class that you will have to take for pharmacy schools anyway. The only two O-chem classes I have ever heard of is O-Chem I/II, and survey of O-chem. I am pretty sure that the classes that you completed are O-Chem I/II, which is the requisite class for almost any pharmacy school.

If you have A's in most of your classes, B's in a few, and only these two C's I would focus on doing well on the PCat test. If you can do well on the PCat test, then this should set you up for success. If you have Mostly B's, a few A's, and the C's then I might consider retaking the class. Its a tough call, that only you can make. Most, I think, would suggest that you not retake the class and focus on other strengths.

Hi everyone,

I'm no expert on this, but don't think you should be too discouraged. I received a C in organic I and a B in organic II- I got in everywhere I applied. I think the most important thing is proving yourself in your other classes.. I also think if you can score really well in the chemistry section of the PCAT, you can prove yourself further. I've heard some schools take organic grades more seriously than others, so I don't know how worried you should be with the schools you are planning on applying to. Overall- if this is the weak point of your application you'll be fine- chemistry should be easier from here on out, just need to make sure the extra curriculars and PCAT are strong points.

Members don't see this ad :)
You just need to make sure the extra curriculars and PCAT are strong points.

I can personally attest to this. I did extremely well on my general chemistry courses but did so-so work on my organic coursework. I did not want to retake the course again so I just studied extra hard for the chemistry section and got high 90's% on chemistry section.

A few bad grades are definitely won't kill you but just do things to make sure the ADCOM know that you learned from your mistakes and are ready to move forward. :)

The ochem series is just two grades of many. Your cumulative GPA seems pretty competitive, and once again, your GPA is a small portion of your overall portfolio as an applicant. For now, if I were you, I would not retake the classes, and continue on my pharmaceutical journey. If you later feel that ochem is holding you back, retake those classes later. I know that pharmacy schools tend to weigh heavily on your chemistry grades, but I wouldn't let these 2 grades hold you back from applying.

No matter how good of a teacher, I would only ask for a LOR if you feel that he knows you/your strengths.

UTCOP does not recommend retaking courses b/c they will just average the grades. I got a C in my O chems but I was able to get an interview there. I didn't get in but I think that has to do w/ other sections of my application. If you get better grades in your upper levels and do well in the chemistry section on the PCAT then you should fine.

Hi everyone,

Don't worry about a C, but I wouldn't ask him for a letter unless he knows you well, but if you explain why you want him to write you a letter it might turn out to be the best recommendation you ever get. If that's not the case, use professors whose classes you get As in.

Hi everyone,

The C's aren't going to hurt you. I know individuals who got Cs, even at community colleges, and still got in to the big schools in Texas. What matters is going to be that interview. That will be your time and place to shine. Your overall GPA is fine in my opinion, and, along with extracurriculars/work experience/volunteer work/rec letters, you can definitely get into the school of your choice.

As for the rec letter, I would ask for it only if you really know this professor or he/she knows your strengths/qualities (as mentioned previously). Organic chemistry is, no doubt, a rigorous subject but you are taking a risk in asking this particular professor since he/she is still going to consider those Cs. It wouldn't be my first choice. I know you know other professors that would be willing to write your rec letter without worrying about the grade in their class (and know you better). Ultimately, it's not all about those grades...it's the TOTAL PACKAGE!!! =)

Good luck and, if there is anything else you want to know, drop me a line!

I think you're still okay. I eventually got into SIUE Pharmacy School, who apparently only invites 200 people for interviews out of the 800-1000 who apply. My GPA is only 2.9 at a community college, and I have lots of retail experience, but no pharmacy experience. I scored high on the PCAT, and I'm convinced that's the only reason they even talked to me. After the interview (which I feel I did average at best), I was waitlisted at #28, and eventually got pulled off.

I realize that I might have been a little lucky, but still, the main message is that a few C's will not doom you. C's made up about half of my transcript. xD