This is my second time taking organic chemistry II and not doing too well should I drop it or stick it through?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ramenoodles

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished the 1st exam and felt like I did really bad. I studied but orgo has always been really confusing for me. I don't wanna fail again. So I can either "W" drop which will show on transcript or attempt to stick it through and by some miracle ace the next exams. The exams are mostly written so the prof knows their challenging and will add decent curve. So hopefully that can help boost my grade if I keep the class? I feel like as much as I don't want to I should just try even harder and get through it instead of dropping but not completely sure. I also don't wanna fail again. But at this point i'll be happy with even a C. I am taking multiple sciecne classes this summer so I feel a little overwhelmed.

Members don't see this ad.

Just finished the 1st exam and felt like I did really bad. I studied but orgo has always been really confusing for me. I don't wanna fail again. So I can either "W" drop which will show on transcript or attempt to stick it through and by some miracle ace the next exams. The exams are mostly written so the prof knows their challenging and will add decent curve. So hopefully that can help boost my grade if I keep the class? I feel like as much as I don't want to I should just try even harder and get through it instead of dropping but not completely sure. I also don't wanna fail again. But at this point i'll be happy with even a C. I am taking multiple sciecne classes this summer so I feel a little overwhelmed.

Failing the first time followed up by a "W" is perhaps the next worst thing one can do besides actually failing a second time.

With that, it is your first exam which for many students is a wake-up call with something as involved as Organic Chemistry. But....you should've had a good idea of what was involved from the first time you took this rigorous course. Until you find out what your actual score is, don't even think about leaving the course. Dedicate more time than your other courses and schedule meetings with the professor and/or tutors to assist in any way possible.

Rigors of Organic Chemistry are not going anywhere. Focus on it now and use all your resources and late night studies to push through and pass (its a beast for a majority of students and what makes/breaks people applying to specific programs). In the future if pharmacy school is what you plan on doing, being able to delegate and multi-task is a must. Organic Chemistry is an example of "memorization" and "delegation" skills you'll need for any graduate program.

Tldr; Stick it out

Reactions: 1 users
It probably doesn't matter what you do if you are willing to go to any school. There are so many that are purely there to collect student loan money, and then don't really care about anything other than filling seats with paying students.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would drop it and switch your major to computer science or engineering. These professions offer far better job prospects, pay well, offer better work conditions, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years of your life in school.

Failing the first time followed up by a "W" is perhaps the next worst thing one can do besides actually failing a second time.

With that, it is your first exam which for many students is a wake-up call with something as involved as Organic Chemistry. But....you should've had a good idea of what was involved from the first time you took this rigorous course. Until you find out what your actual score is, don't even think about leaving the course. Dedicate more time than your other courses and schedule meetings with the professor and/or tutors to assist in any way possible.

Rigors of Organic Chemistry are not going anywhere. Focus on it now and use all your resources and late night studies to push through and pass (its a beast for a majority of students and what makes/breaks people applying to specific programs). In the future if pharmacy school is what you plan on doing, being able to delegate and multi-task is a must. Organic Chemistry is an example of "memorization" and "delegation" skills you'll need for any graduate program.

Tldr; Stick it out

BC89 gives a good advice there.

If you need to decide, I think this formula, F <<< W << C could help too.

Try not get that many Cs (or Bs). But one C's (even in O Chem) or even a few is not going to kill you. Esp. with pharmacy school admission these days (you would get in somewhere, but please do good research on pharmacy as a career / caution alert :) ).

Reactions: 1 users
I would drop it and switch your major to computer science or engineering. These professions offer far better job prospects, pay well, offer better work conditions, and do not require you to take out $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years of your life in school.

I think, engineers can easily study pharmacy, not the other way around :)

Did you flunk or withdraw the first time around? Either way to have a 2nd flunk or withdrawal shows that you are in way over your head with Organic Chemistry. Your best best is to find a job that aligns with your skill set, which obviously isn't chemistry (which also means pharmacy.)