Csf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apara

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A 30-year-old patient presented with features of acute meningoencephalitis in the casualty. His CSF on wet mount microscopy revealed motile unicellular micro – organisms. The most likely organism is
1. Naegleria flowleri
2. Acanthamoeba castellani
3. Entamoeba histolytica
4. Trypanosoma cruzi

Members don't see this ad.

apara said:
A 30-year-old patient presented with features of acute meningoencephalitis in the casualty. His CSF on wet mount microscopy revealed motile unicellular micro – organisms. The most likely organism is
1. Naegleria flowleri
3. Entamoeba histolytica
4. Trypanosoma cruzi

should be number 1....naegleria causes a rapid meningoencephalitis and the trophozoites (motile) are seen in the CSF...this is diagnostic. The organism is associated with lakes and pools (ie. A diver from florida) and enters the brain via the cribriform plate and CN 1 (olfactory). This will result in a loss of a smell.

if the stem had indicated that the pt was immunocompromised (ie. HIV) then number 2 would have been correct. Acanthoameoba is associaed with dust on contact lens solutions.

hope this helps

ucb

apara said:
1. Naegleria flowleri
3. Entamoeba histolytica
4. Trypanosoma cruzi

Any more history? If he's been swimming in lakes I'd go with Naegleria...

I would go with naegleria too. I think that with acanthamoeba u see both cysts and mature amoeba in CSF and in this case it only sounds like you are seeing the mature form (Naegleria?).

vmaheshw said:
I would go with naegleria too. I think that with acanthamoeba u see both cysts and mature amoeba in CSF and in this case it only sounds like you are seeing the mature form (Naegleria?).

actually in acanthamoeba, cysts are rare in CSF......so you wouldn't necessarily expect them; if the person was Immunocompromised, you may see them. Again, they are rare in csf

ucb