which cell produce CSF?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

match2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From FA, ependymal cells

From HY histology , Choroid epithelial cells

Which is right?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Aren't ependymal cells PART of the choroid plexus? The function of the ependymal cells (and thus the CP) is to create CSF and alter the ionic and chemical make up of the CSF. That's why during inflammation you have increased protein in the CSF...from dilatation of the blood vessels and increased permeability.

According to the ultimate textbook of Medicine (wikipedia):
"Within the brain's ventricles, a population of modified ependymal cells and capillaries together form a system called the choroid plexus, which produces the CSF."

This was my understanding of the CP and Ependymal cell relationship. Please tell me if I'm wrong. I have 1.5 weeks to find out haha.

Aren't ependymal cells PART of the choroid plexus? The function of the ependymal cells (and thus the CP) is to create CSF and alter the ionic and chemical make up of the CSF. That's why during inflammation you have increased protein in the CSF...from dilatation of the blood vessels and increased permeability.

According to the ultimate textbook of Medicine (wikipedia):
"Within the brain's ventricles, a population of modified ependymal cells and capillaries together form a system called the choroid plexus, which produces the CSF."

This was my understanding of the CP and Ependymal cell relationship. Please tell me if I'm wrong. I have 1.5 weeks to find out haha.

You are correct.

Members don't see this ad :)