Giving your opinion on something you have not experienced or know anything about seems kind of pointless to me. If you don't think 2nd years should be allowed SUPERVISED clinical experience, take it up with the APMA. I think a lot of you are either misinformed or stuck in second year classes wishing you could see a little more fruit of your labors. Bashing one school doesn't somehow make yours any better. I love my school and I know all my classmates. I am a first year there and think its great. Spending another year in class won't teach you how to debride a wound or cut nails any better than spending one will. Second year students aren't doing amputations and bunion removals, they are doing SUPERVISED simple procedures and recommending treatments after presenting to the SUPERVISING doctor. Did I mention they are well supervised?
Just my two cents
GO CSPM!!!
Man, we need a mascot....😀
I was not "bashing," and I am not a 2nd year student. I did experience bits and pieces of patient care in my first two years... at health fairs on Saturdays, holidays, etc:
http://cbs4.com/video/[email protected]
CSPM with 2 days per week of 2nd year students in clinic is unique. The point of the thread topic was to discuss how it is good, bad, etc for students. Like I said, I think 2nd year should be purely didactic; that is the accepted model (2+2) of professional medical programs across the country. Students are "stuck in second year classes" for a reason: they do not have the knowledge base for clinc IMO.
In shorter healthcare degree programs like PA, nursing, etc, there is more of the "learn by doing" philosophy. There has to be. However, the medical model has more time to teach you, and its philosophy has always favored completing the extensive basic and clinical sciences
prior to beginning any significant amount of clinical exposure.
Don't get me wrong... I am all for 2nd year students - heck even 1st year students - who feel caught up with classes and coursework getting their feet wet at health fairs, doing shadowing, etc
on their free time. I just don't think it should be in the curriculum that 2nd years see patients. At that point, they have not completed the clinical pre-reqs and have way too much important info to be focused on in their important classes: radiology, biomech, micro, path, pharm, surgery, medicine. Those are all going to be vitally important subjects for boards, interviews, residency, practice, etc etc etc. I think it's ill advised to split students' focus and study time during that second year, and I think that is why very very few professional medical programs have 2nd year clinic. I guess we will agree to disagree.