CSPM and WesternU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jabbywockeez

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any people from California (or current students at these schools) wanna offer tips on deciding between CSPM and WesternU?

I am from Socal and personally like the idea of shared curriculum with DO students as well as being close to home. But at the same time, I feel CSPM's program may have a slight edge with me, especially in regards to my interests in sports medicine and some of the faculty there -- sharing the legacy with many of the current podiatrists today is another big thing.

At the end of the day, I do believe that board pass rates and GPA is really what matters, so just trying to get an idea of which school may do a better job at that is the most important. I understand that is tough to figure because every student is different.

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Any people from California (or current students at these schools) wanna offer tips on deciding between CSPM and WesternU?

I am from Socal and personally like the idea of shared curriculum with DO students as well as being close to home. But at the same time, I feel CSPM's program may have a slight edge with me, especially in regards to my interests in sports medicine and some of the faculty there -- sharing the legacy with many of the current podiatrists today is another big thing.

At the end of the day, I do believe that board pass rates and GPA is really what matters, so just trying to get an idea of which school may do a better job at that is the most important. I understand that is tough to figure because every student is different.

Thanks for any input.
Have you interviewed at these schools?

Have you seen their stats for board pass rates and graduation rates?

They are available during interviews or on their websites.

I've interviewed already at both, been accepted. Im looking for opinions from current students because I understand that sometimes the schools can sugar coat information to sell the school to the interviewees.

Have you interviewed at these schools?

Have you seen their stats for board pass rates and graduation rates?

They are available during interviews or on their websites.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've interviewed already at both, been accepted. Im looking for opinions from current students because I understand that sometimes the schools can sugar coat information to sell the school to the interviewees.

High scoring students will pass boards regardless of what program they are in.

You will realize passing boards in itself depends more on individual preparation and less on what the school offers.
There are sub 3.0s passing their first try and 4.0s failing their first try.

Again, heavily dependent on the individual and intensity of preparation.

GPA is GPA. It will depend on your class. Both class sizes are small. Again- your GPA is heavily dependent on how well you personally do on exams. Going to a school with shared DO curriculum or sports medicine faculty will not change this.

Neither school will offer you an advantage or easier curriculum to get you a higher GPA.

Pick the place you are more comfortable at.

Reactions: 3 users
I am a second year pod student at WesternU also from SoCal who was in the same situation as yourself. Overall, I think it's a hard topic to speak on unless you've gone to both schools (which obviously no one is doing). In the end my decision came down to what made the most sense for me such as easy living situation, having my support system close by, and less money. WesternU has been a great school thus far, a few things I could say from my experience: our dean Dr. Satterfield truly cares about her students and that pretty much goes for all of the faculty here, from my understanding we get more externships in fourth year than CSPM (which matters when it comes down to interviewing for residencies), our curriculum being fully integrated with the DO curriculum has brought us to a point where we are pushing for podiatrist to be fully licensed as physicians (a push only the west coast schools seem to be working towards but WesternU being the only school that takes the CBSE hoping to take the USMLE). If you have any specific questions feel free to reach out!

our curriculum being fully integrated with the DO curriculum has brought us to a point where we are pushing for podiatrist to be fully licensed as physicians (a push only the west coast schools seem to be working towards but WesternU being the only school that takes the CBSE hoping to take the USMLE).

Is your class taking the CBSE? Did the class above you took it already and if you guys know their pass %?

I am a second year pod student at WesternU also from SoCal who was in the same situation as yourself. Overall, I think it's a hard topic to speak on unless you've gone to both schools (which obviously no one is doing). In the end my decision came down to what made the most sense for me such as easy living situation, having my support system close by, and less money. WesternU has been a great school thus far, a few things I could say from my experience: our dean Dr. Satterfield truly cares about her students and that pretty much goes for all of the faculty here, from my understanding we get more externships in fourth year than CSPM (which matters when it comes down to interviewing for residencies), our curriculum being fully integrated with the DO curriculum has brought us to a point where we are pushing for podiatrist to be fully licensed as physicians (a push only the west coast schools seem to be working towards but WesternU being the only school that takes the CBSE hoping to take the USMLE). If you have any specific questions feel free to reach out!
If your curriculum is fully integrated with DOs, do you have any additional courses that have specific podiatric focus? Like Lower Extremities Anatony or Derm? System courses with specific LE cases or anything of that sort? Biomechanics?

Is this possible to see your current curriculum? You could PM me. I don't think your school posts full curriculum on the website.

EDIT: do you personally study or use USMLE resources or plan to use them?

Thanks

Last edited:
First year WesternU student here. We take our blocks with DOs. However, when DOs have their OMM we have our podiatry course, which includes biomechanics, LE anatomy, radiology, etc. For the block, we take the same exams and quizzes as DOs. However, 10% of assessments will include OMM questions for DOs whereas we get our podiatry questions. Our podiatry course has it's own assessments and DOs have their OMM practical.
If your curriculum is fully integrated with DOs, do you have any additional courses that have specific podiatric focus? Like Lower Extremities Anatony or Derm? System courses with specific LE cases or anything of that sort? Biomechanics?

Is this possible to see your current curriculum? You could PM me. I don't think your school posts full curriculum on the website.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I would honestly go where it is cheaper. Living in the San Francisco metro area may not be a financially smart decision....
I interviewed at CSPM and honestly loved it, but when I saw the numbers...I fled fast and didn't look back lol!

Their early clinical exposure is what made it a very attractive school to me, but at the end of the day, their cost of attendance and tuition was much higher than what I pay at Scholl. since SCPM is out of the Chicago boundaries (about 30 miles from downtown Chicago), living expenses are very cheaper.

I don't really know the differences for living between SoCal and San Francisco, you probably have a better idea.

Board pass rates are generally 80% or above for all schools, it comes down to your dedication in the program. They all provide a good education.

If money isn't an issue, I would probably talk to P1s and P2s at the programs and see how they like it. Find out what resources are available for incoming students.

Is your class taking the CBSE? Did the class above you took it already and if you guys know their pass %?
Sorry for the delayed reply, yes my class will be taking the CBSE in June. The previous two classes above mine took it as well. I can see about getting the scores, but what I know off of the top of my head is that the class of 2020 had a decent pass rate & the class of 2021 did not do as well. Supposedly my class is a determining factor in whether or not future classes will continue to take the CBSE or USMLE from here. It's a tricky spot

Thanks
Sorry for the delayed reply, AD1208 said most of this but I'll just answer as well. We have our shared curriculum with the DO's and then a separate podiatry specific course as well. In our podiatry course we cover LEA, Radiography, Peds, Trauma, Biomechanics, etc. I can for sure get a snapshot of the curriculum to you!

I use mostly lecture (slides, learning objectives, etc.) to study but I like to use First Aid as a reference as well. I also use Sketchy, Pathoma, and Boards & Beyond for lecture material. WesternU gave us a subscription to USMLE Rx as well as Board Vitals which I haven't started using yet but definitely plan to like starting this month lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry for the delayed reply, yes my class will be taking the CBSE in June. The previous two classes above mine took it as well. I can see about getting the scores, but what I know off of the top of my head is that the class of 2020 had a decent pass rate & the class of 2021 did not do as well. Supposedly my class is a determining factor in whether or not future classes will continue to take the CBSE or USMLE from here. It's a tricky spot

I think you will do fine as long as you're using the resources you mentioned above.
Knowing first aid well can def help. Sucks to be in the determining class though. Good luck!

• Love
What is cbse and why are we bothering to take it?

What is cbse and why are we bothering to take it?

Comprehensive basic science examination (CBSE)....is an exam taken at most MD/DO towards the end of 2nd year but before taking Step1/COMLEX1 exams. In most places, you have to pass the CBSE in order to sit for the step or comlex exams, so it's more like a snapshot of how the boards would actually be. WesternU Pod program..mentioned in this thread...is supposedly allowing their students to take the said CBSE. The reason why they are taking it has to do with that program's overall aim and vision and I'll let the users above (who attend these programs) answer more on this. You can also read more on their website.

Comprehensive basic science examination (CBSE)....is an exam taken at most MD/DO towards the end of 2nd year but before taking Step1/COMLEX1 exams. In most places, you have to pass the CBSE in order to sit for the step or comlex exams, so it's more like a snapshot of how the boards would actually be. WesternU Pod program..mentioned in this thread...is supposedly allowing their students to take the said CBSE. The reason why they are taking it has to do with that program's overall aim and vision and I'll let the users above (who attend these programs) answer more on this. You can also read more on their website.

That actually sounds like a good idea, I wonder why all the schools aren’t doing this. I also wonder if the material is totally relevant to us since usmle doesn’t really showcase APMLE.

That actually sounds like a good idea, I wonder why all the schools aren’t doing this. I also wonder if the material is totally relevant to us since usmle doesn’t really showcase APMLE.
Dental students going into oral surgery also take the CBSE to basically then become 3rd year medical students (something like that). The CBSE has higher order exam questions than the APMLE from my understanding which is why being prepared for the CBSE = being over prepared for the APMLE (minus some extra lower extremity studying of course). The goal is for the other schools to join in as well in order to achieve the same physician and surgeons license as DOs/MDs. If you're interested in learning more about that mission Dr. Wan (past president of the CPMA) is the DPM who has spoken to our class regarding moving forward the profession.

Hello!

If I may chime in on the discussion, I am a first year Pod at WesternU. I am a little bit different since I only applied to WesternU and MD at my home state. I had interviews at both, and got accepted into WesternU and didn’t look back, so in a way you can say I picked early on what Pod school I wanted to go to. I have family in both the SF and SoCal area, so when I was looking at programs 2 things besides Board passing/Residency Placement stats were driving factors, since both schools have very strong programs. Number one was location of the school, they are both urban in a way, but Pomona is a lot smaller than Oakland, which to me meant less traffic/easier parking. I know that may seem trivial but coming from a large Urban university in a busy city I know how much finding parking and getting around can suck for commuting (which I knew I’d be doing for either campus).Honestly so far, no matter how late I may be running for class, I can find parking close by (walk 10 mins opposed to 5) and with CA traffic, you know that’s bound to happen. Number 2 was the integration of the curriculum with the DOs. Let me tell you that was the most attractive point because I knew even before learning of the curriculum, that the integration in a way already guaranteed that I would receive a well rounded foundations of medicine education, which is what I wanted.

I am so far very happy with the curriculum. I love that we get our foundations of medicine in a large cohort, but then we get our specialization (Podiatry course work) in our smaller cohort. This way I know I will have close friends in different specialties which is great for networking and one day will help me refer patients to people i know and trust. I know this may be the case for all schools since our cohorts are small, but I also love that I know all 50 of us (plus the second years) not just by name but I know who they are as people. I can only speak for our culture at WesternU though and what I can tell you is that from the get go, we are a family. We are there for each other for resources and support. And as non real as it may sound, yes all 50 of us are there for each other, we may not hangout together all the time, but help is never turned away by anyone. Our Student Affairs office is highly involved in making sure we are getting the inside and outside support needed, in a personal level. And our faculty (both foundations and podiatry) are reachable and real. I honestly love it here, because it feels like a second home, which when you are spending so much time in one place is a very good feeling. For the people that decide to stream lecture, which is a lot of my friends, they get the same sense of comfort in that they can approach the resources on campus and classmates when needed (even if that’s just finding company to go for KBBQ).

In regards to the CBSE testing, there is still disparity between the licensing and way insurances can choose to pay Podiatrist vs MD/DO. Many members of the governing Podiatry bodies are moving towards bridging that disparity. The reason only a couple of schools are being allowed to take the CBSE is because we are like a “pilot” program. The hope is that this year, and next year will do well enough so that all of the Podiatry students will be allowed to sit for the CBSE and eventually the USMLE. Why does that matter since we have the APMLE which are our boards? Because this shows at a highly resonant level that we are the same, not just in how we perform in clinical rotations (which I believe the APMA has been able to show) but also at a knowledge base level. For more info and details I am sure Dr Steve Wan (who is now a faculty member at WesternU) as mentioned above would be more than happy to answer any questions. Or feel free to reach out to me with any questions/more info.

I hope my comment is helpful to you, and CONGRATULATIONS, no matter what you decide, good luck and welcome to Med School :)

Reactions: 3 users