CSPM moving to Walnut Creek, CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greasemonkey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been told by a few people that CSPM is planning or will be moving out of Oakland, CA and into Walnut Creek, CA. Has anybody else heard of this or know anything about it?

Members don't see this ad.

So I've been told by a few people that CSPM is planning or will be moving out of Oakland, CA and into Walnut Creek, CA. Has anybody else heard of this or know anything about it?

I <3 double posts.

What do you want to know about it? I know of some great places to live NEAR there, that are still nice, but much cheaper. PM me if you want to know more details. I can give you some good info.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you want to know about it? I know of some great places to live NEAR there, that are still nice, but much cheaper. PM me if you want to know more details. I can give you some good info.

Uh.... The OP was suggesting he/she heard the school was moving? I'm not sure what that has to do with living?

Uh.... The OP was suggesting he/she heard the school was moving? I'm not sure what that has to do with living?

Indirectly, it does pretty much confirm the OP's rumor is just that: a rumor.

My bad, I miss read. If they did move, it would only be good for the school. WC has super low crime, and a much better place to live in general. I can't speak for if the rumors are true, but it would be great if they were.

It might be better for living but you would no longer be in the big city near UCSF and near all the gangsta stuff. WC seems really mellow and would require long drives for doing rotations.

I'm not sure if the OP has any evidence to support the post and he might have just made it up...

This would be awesome as Walnut Creek is next ti my hometown, Concord.

I hope it doesn't move, living on the peninsula > walnut creek

Link: http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/president/news_room/apr_2012/walnut-creek-news-briefs-earth-day-fun-sunday-and-samuel-merritt-univer

New university may set up shop in Walnut Creek

Samuel Merritt University, the health sciences institution, with a main campus in Oakland may be coming to Walnut Creek.

The college, widely known for its nursing programs, wants to convert the three-story building at 590 Ygnacio Valley Road into a site for the university. To go into the 56,000-square-foot building, the university will must get a conditional use permit to operate a college from the city's Planning Commission. That hearing will take place at 7 p.m. May, 10 City Hall, 1666 N. Main St.

The Walnut Creek site would be the university's sixth campus and the first in Contra Costa County.

Summary: CSPM is not moving. It's parent university is opening a new satellite location (most likely for another nursing program). Move along; nothing more to see here folks.

Actually there is a very high possibility that CSPM will move to WC. There is going to be a new pharmacy school opening up. The Pharmacy school is seeing whether or not they will get the Walnut Creek building or move into the Oakland campus. The problem with the WC building is that it is too big for just 1 pharmacy program; therefore, they would need to move a program to share the building with the pharmacy school. The program that they will move is the Podiatry program. If this change were to occur I believe it would happen 2013-14 school year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually there is a very high possibility that CSPM will move to WC. There is going to be a new pharmacy school opening up. The Pharmacy school is seeing whether or not they will get the Walnut Creek building or move into the Oakland campus. The problem with the WC building is that it is too big for just 1 pharmacy program; therefore, they would need to move a program to share the building with the pharmacy school. The program that they will move is the Podiatry program. If this change were to occur I believe it would happen 2013-14 school year.

And what committee are you a part of that gives you access to this information?

I mean, that seems like reasonable info... I don't know where jellybean got the nursing program idea from, but there is evidence that SM is looking at a new location (should have had the hearing yesterday...), and it very well could hold the DPM degree....

I mean, that seems like reasonable info... I don't know where jellybean got the nursing program idea from, but there is evidence that SM is looking at a new location (should have had the hearing yesterday...), and it very well could hold the DPM degree....

I'll admit that part was an educated guess based on the fact they already have nursing satellites in San Mateo, San Francisco, and Sacramento. (so I followed the pattern). Serveyoursole's info sounds reasonable to me. I did some digging and it seems their new pharm program won't admit it's first class until 2014 anyways, so take that for what it's worth.

And what committee are you a part of that gives you access to this information?

Let me get this straight. You are asking this smart a** question to a current student, when you are only a pre-pod who's experience with CSPM consists of information you got during an interview day?

Let me get this straight. You are asking this smart a** question to a current student, when you are only a pre-pod who's experience with CSPM consists of information you got during an interview day?

When his first post on the site claims to have privy information on a rumor then yes I am going to be a little skeptical.

Why is there always so much contempt for pre-pods on these forums??

I would say that nearly every thread on SDN has some type of smart remark or two... It's just how these operate. None of us knows if he is actually a current student or is lying or what. We just want info and facts to back the info up. I could make an account tomorrow saying im the dean of one of the pod schools and I could post as that individual for months. If I said "my" school was moving, would people take me at face value and not question or ask for supporting evidence.

It's a sad day when skepticism is criticized.

I'm still mad at CSPM. I filled out their post application survey after I declined to interview because they offered a free 10 dollar gift card... Never got it... Those evil people!

I'm still mad at CSPM. I filled out their post application survey after I declined to interview because they offered a free 10 dollar gift card... Never got it... Those evil people!

I'd email them for it... Maybe it was an honest mistake? Lol

Why is there always so much contempt for pre-pods on these forums??

I would say that nearly every thread on SDN has some type of smart remark or two... It's just how these operate. None of us knows if he is actually a current student or is lying or what. We just want info and facts to back the info up. I could make an account tomorrow saying im the dean of one of the pod schools and I could post as that individual for months. If I said "my" school was moving, would people take me at face value and not question or ask for supporting evidence.

It's a sad day when skepticism is criticized.

Nobody criticized skepticism. Maybe it's because us students deal with attendings on a regular basis, but I couldn't imagine wording a question the way bmhsacosta did.

Here's an example. I read an article assigned by an attending that stated "X". I asked the attending if he was going to consider a certain procedure because I had just read that "X" was supported in the literature. He looked at me and said, "You're wrong. Go read it again. That's not what it says."......I said "dang it, ok, I'll read it again during lunch."

Now imagine if my response was "where did you learn how to read journal articles???"

Maybe it's different because these forums are anonymous and a lot of people are internet tough guys. But you can ask questions without being a d***. Why couldn't someone simply say, "are you a CSPM student?" That's being skeptical, it get's you the answer you are looking for and it doesn't make you look like a douche. Then, if the poster says, "no, but I heard from a friend who goes to the school", that's when you're free to be a jerk.

The contempt on these forums isn't for pre-pods, it's for inappropriate or pointless/worthless/make-you-dumber-for-reading-them posts...it just so happens that most of those come for pre-pods around here. Nothing wrong with that, its part of the learning process. Attendings would say the same thing about residents and residents would say it about students. But don't get upset when somebody criticizes you for it.

The faster you realize there is a lot you don't know and that sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and let others look like fools, the better off you'll be.

Did you really just compare an unidentified new SDN poster (who turned out to be a pod student) being asked to identify himself with an attending physician being disrespected? :laugh:

Announcement that it will happen if the pharm program gets placed there or may happen if the program is placed there?

I see that you are part of the class of CSPM 16. I realize that CSPM is not mentioned on here very often. If you have any questions regarding the school I will try my best to answer it.

Did you really just compare an unidentified new SDN poster (who turned out to be a pod student) being asked to identify himself with an attending physician being disrespected? :laugh:

In a way. Of course they are different, but habits like that are hard to break. It's a lot like the student who says that they will do better once clinic rolls around after getting poor grades for 2 years because they are lazy. Well guess what? They are generally still lazy in and outside of clinic. Sure, they may do a good job during the 5 minutes of interaction with the patient, but they don't have a differential, can't decide on a proper treatment protocol because they are still lazy and just don't have the correct study habits to keep up with all of the information.

I know a lot of you think you are anonymous, and until you get to school you probably are. But pretty soon most of the posters on here will be able to find out who's behind the s/n. So don't be a smart a**, the people you are rubbing the wrong way may be residents or attendings at the program you want to go to. If the last couple months have taught us anything its that some residents will create profiles just to come on here and call out the student who they perceived as bad mouthing their program.

I see that you are part of the class of CSPM 16. I realize that CSPM is not mentioned on here very often. If you have any questions regarding the school I will try my best to answer it.

Oohh I have a couple of questions too. I'll PM you :)

In a way. Of course they are different, but habits like that are hard to break. It's a lot like the student who says that they will do better once clinic rolls around after getting poor grades for 2 years because they are lazy. Well guess what? They are generally still lazy in and outside of clinic. Sure, they may do a good job during the 5 minutes of interaction with the patient, but they don't have a differential, can't decide on a proper treatment protocol because they are still lazy and just don't have the correct study habits to keep up with all of the information.

I know a lot of you think you are anonymous, and until you get to school you probably are. But pretty soon most of the posters on here will be able to find out who's behind the s/n. So don't be a smart a**, the people you are rubbing the wrong way may be residents or attendings at the program you want to go to. If the last couple months have taught us anything its that some residents will create profiles just to come on here and call out the student who they perceived as bad mouthing their program.

I agree with the gist of what you're saying, but I think the real question is: why are you getting worked up about a bit of sarcasm that nobody else (not even Serveyoursole) took offense to? Let's all chill out a little please?

It's fine, perhaps my question was in poor taste. I can see how it would be taken the wrong way. Hopefully the school doesn't move. I'm not too keen on the geography of the bay area but it seems that moving to WC would push it further away from the clinical rotations it already has.

"Hi guys, I'm new here but let me tell you how to act and what to say. Also let me talk down to you with laughing emoticons."

-Jellybean

"Hi guys, I'm new here but let me tell you how to act and what to say. Also let me talk down to you with laughing emoticons."

-Jellybean

Lol what? I didn't talk down to anyone. Yes I was critical but I behaved very amicably, and never insulted or disrespected anyone. Dtrack and I were simply having a back-and forth, and I'm sure he didn't take offense to my questioning him. In fact I thought he made some good points and I said so as much. I'm sure Dtrack is happy you have his back though :) <--- is that one ok? It's a more friendly smiley I swear.

Last edited:
According to the info from one of our administrators Walnut Creek is NOT happening.