How many places should I apply to on my CASPR, like 20, 40, 100?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robin-jay

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many places should I apply to on my CASPR, like 20, 40, 100? I'm not sure exactly how to go about this.

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
How many places should I apply to on my CASPR, like 20, 40, 100? I'm not sure exactly how to go about this.
Pretty sure they are all the same and will get the same training everywhere right?

• Love
  • Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure they are all the same and will get the same training everywhere right?
Correct, sir.

All are 3 year programs.

Might as well just pick one that is near home or pays the best or has a director with a cool-sounding name.

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Depends how many interviews you want to do. Apply to 20-25 if you want to do 12-15 interviews. Any more than that would just be a waste of time and money.

Reactions: 1 users
You can apply to whatever you want, but if the programs are good you may not get interviews ie. you can apply but it will go no where.

If you do get interviews you may get antagonistic interviews ie. questions about the program that only a clerk can answer, stuck giving vague meaningless answers about "why this program".

Last of all, you may find yourself getting interviews simply from work you to death programs that scramble every year and are looking for pulses.

If the above seems somewhat negative - a different way to think about the above is that you can apply to however many you want, but it really may not change your fate. ie. if you spend a bunch of time selecting your programs and trying to put thought into AKA "expending your mental energy, hoping and wishing" - requesting 30 interviews may in fact only gain you 1-2 more interviews and you might or might not have a chance at them anyway and you might after interviewing them choose to not even rank them. Your perfect world really is to have a good selection of programs you clerked at. I too a few years ago was looking at my list thinking "I wish I had more programs to interview at". I reached out to several that I'd had no contact with. I got one additional interview from a program that just came into existence.

Edit: Other way to think about it - good programs may already have had 2-5 clerks per month. The may have some version of 14-35 people who already came in person to choose from to fill 2-4 spots. Do they need a person who never visited?

# of externships + any visited programs

Anything more is a waste of time
I think it's perfectly valid for good students to do just interviews and rank those programs.
This is less necessary if they liked most of their own externships and have a clear match among them, but sometimes good students pick programs they end up not liking too much.

We are talking top quarter students interviewing at top third programs, top third students interview at middle-of-the-pack programs, elite rank students interviewing nearly any program, etc. That is not a time waste. They will often be ranked if they are clearly one of the program's best interviews. Programs realize anyone can read about the program or say they like the city, but only a finite amount did well in pod school and are most likely to excel in residency, boards, career. Those ppl will always be in a bit of power position for interviews and match.

Heck, some programs don't even take externs - or they are geographically far from any other programs and just get very few externs. They still need to match, though (and will do that almost totally from interviews). Other programs -most programs - get largely mediocre externs and may jump at the chance to get a high rank student who interviews well but didn't extern or only visited.

Compared to matching an externship, the interview (without extern) leading to match is not common, but happens dozens of times every year.
For most good programs, those non-externs will only be their backups (and those programs should probably only be the student's backup unless they have no good options among extern programs), but they know that each student only has 4-8 clerkships before interviews, depending on their school setup and how the student schedules externships. They will often be ranked, or even top ranked, if they are clearly one of the program's best interviews.

In the end, I think the majority of programs would rank a non-extern with a good rank and good interview.
It is going to get more and more important to avoid scramble in coming years as grads:spots ratio get near or past 1.
There are a few residencies that expressly say on CASPR page that you must extern to be considered, or most of the name programs are just so popular with so many good externs that they would almost never need to roll the dice on a non-extern ... even a valedictorian or something could turn out being a malignant personality (so they'd almost always lean to slightly lower rank externs). Most residency programs need to get their best match options from externs or non-externs, though... students should similarly keep all reasonable match avenues open.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
I think it's perfectly valid for good students to do just interviews and rank those programs.
This is less necessary if they liked most of their own externships and have a clear match among them, but sometimes good students pick programs they end up not liking too much.

We are talking top quarter students interviewing at top third programs, top third students interview at middle-of-the-pack programs, elite rank students interviewing nearly any program, etc. That is not a time waste. They will often be ranked if they are clearly one of the program's best interviews. Programs realize anyone can read about the program or say they like the city, but only a finite amount did well in pod school and are most likely to excel in residency, boards, career. Those ppl will always be in a bit of power position for interviews and match.

Heck, some programs don't even take externs - or they are geographically far from any other programs and just get very few externs. They still need to match, though (and will do that almost totally from interviews). Other programs -most programs - get largely mediocre externs and may jump at the chance to get a high rank student who interviews well but didn't extern or only visited.

Compared to matching an externship, the interview (without extern) leading to match is not common, but happens dozens of times every year.
For most good programs, those non-externs will only be their backups (and those programs should probably only be the student's backup unless they have no good options among extern programs), but they know that each student only has 4-8 clerkships before interviews, depending on their school setup and how the student schedules externships. They will often be ranked, or even top ranked, if they are clearly one of the program's best interviews.

In the end, I think the majority of programs would rank a non-extern with a good rank and good interview.
It is going to get more and more important to avoid scramble in coming years as grads:spots ratio get near or past 1.
There are a few residencies that expressly say on CASPR page that you must extern to be considered, or most of the name programs are just so popular with so many good externs that they would almost never need to roll the dice on a non-extern ... even a valedictorian or something could turn out being a malignant personality (so they'd almost always lean to slightly lower rank externs). Most residency programs need to get their best match options from externs or non-externs, though... students should similarly keep all reasonable match avenues open.
I think it would make sense if the ranking of students was objective.

But considering so many students just use previous test material each year from resources they have, I don't think GPA and rank mean anything. There are students walking around with 3.8 GPAs who would have probably failed out with less than a 2.5 if it weren't for their fortuitous resources. It just makes it impossible to take rank or GPA seriously in this profession and can't tell you anything about the student.

I've been through rigorous science graduate school where tests were nothing like the previous year and were conducted using non-multiple choice formats. That actually means something.

Having students have resources that give you 80-90% of the answers before every exam in podiatry school is makes GPA and rank an absolute joke.

Otherwise, if there were actual parameters that were useful in separating "elite" students from "good" students, and so on, I'd agree with you 100%. There just isn't anything to actually do it other than clinical aptitude.

Last edited:
  • Haha
I think it would make sense if the ranking of students was objective.

But considering so many students just use previous test material each year from resources they have, I don't think GPA and rank mean anything. There are students walking around with 3.8 GPAs who would have probably failed out with less than a 2.5 if it weren't for their fortuitous resources. It just makes it impossible to take rank or GPA seriously in this profession and can't tell you anything about the student.

I've been through rigorous science graduate school where tests were nothing like the previous year and were conducted using non-multiple choice formats. That actually means something.

Having students have resources that give you 80-90% of the answers before every exam in podiatry school is makes GPA and rank an absolute joke.

Otherwise, if there were actual parameters that were useful in separating "elite" students from "good" students, and so on, I'd agree with you 100%. There just isn't anything to actually do it other than clinical aptitude.
Are you seriously suggesting top rank students "would have probably failed out"?

You believe students are ranked by what old tests they had? You believe that works in all classes? What about third year clinic? LORs? Board exams? Answering questions on externships or during interviews? All of that is based on 'fortuitous resources'? Really? Really???

You have also suggested podiatry residencies aren't much different and that good students don't make good residents.

...Sometimes, envy is your mind's way of showing you what you want... and how to get it (emulate and learn from habits of those you envy). It can be powerful if you understand how to interpret it. Google Nietzche envy or Nietzche resentment?

"Bad times have a scientific value. These are occasions a good learner would not miss.”

Are you seriously suggesting top rank students "would have probably failed out"?

You believe students are ranked by what old tests they had? You believe that works in all classes? What about third year clinic? LORs? Board exams? Answering questions on externships or during interviews? All of that is based on 'fortuitous resources'? Really? Really???

You have also suggested podiatry residencies aren't much different and that good students don't make good residents.

...Sometimes, envy is your mind's way of showing you what you want... and how to get it (emulate and learn from habits of those you envy). It can be powerful if you understand how to interpret it. Google Nietzche envy or Nietzche resentment?

"Bad times have a scientific value. These are occasions a good learner would not miss.”
Yes the resources are basically in every class, and include boards.

I think 3.8+ students are hard to know where they would be without resources, but I do think that many people over 3.5 gpa would have had trouble passing some courses for sure, without the 80-90% resources TQs. I definitely do.

I have a fine GPA and academic record. I am not envious, just realistic. In fact, I wish courses were much more difficult in a way that didn't reuse resources and multiple choice exams.

I also never said that good students don't make good residents. I said there is no way to tell how good a student is because of the way TQs are set up in every class, and therefore you can't possible know who will be good in clinic based on GPA/class rank.

I think clinical achievements during an externship month are realistically the only way to judge someone's aptitude for success. Or at least with the current set up.

Yes the resources are basically in every class, and include boards.

I think 3.8+ students are hard to know where they would be without resources, but I do think that many people over 3.5 gpa would have had trouble passing some courses for sure, without the 80-90% resources TQs. I definitely do.

I have a fine GPA and academic record. I am not envious, just realistic. In fact, I wish courses were much more difficult in a way that didn't reuse resources and multiple choice exams.

I also never said that good students don't make good residents. I said there is no way to tell how good a student is because of the way TQs are set up in every class, and therefore you can't possible know who will be good in clinic based on GPA/class rank.

I think clinical achievements during an externship month are realistically the only way to judge someone's aptitude for success. Or at least with the current set up.
I get that some with high GPAs might not deserve it, but many do work hard for it. If I had to guess, I'd still trust those with higher GPAs because it often shows they're dedicated and can apply their knowledge well. If they didn't truly earn their GPA, it'll be obvious when they don't pass the board exams or perform terribly during rotations. Saying that high GPA students have the same skills (or worse) as low GPA students isn't accurate. That would defeat the purpose of having a GPA system in the first place.

Members don't see this ad :)
I get that some with high GPAs might not deserve it, but many do work hard for it. If I had to guess, I'd still trust those with higher GPAs because it often shows they're dedicated and can apply their knowledge well. If they didn't truly earn their GPA, it'll be obvious when they don't pass the board exams or perform terribly during rotations. Saying that high GPA students have the same skills (or worse) as low GPA students isn't accurate. That would defeat the purpose of having a GPA system in the first place.
My point isn't that high GPA students have better or worse skills than lower GPA students.

My point is that you can't tell who preformed with resources and those who preformed with less resources. The problem is that you can't trust the GPA or class rank, because of this major issue.

Another issue is that there are also TQs for boards. So you can't even figure out the deserving students from that.

Literally the only way to correctly divide students is according to their clinical skills.

It's unfortunate, but that's the current status quo. The fact professors use multiple choice questions and repeatedly reuse questions over the years is partly to blame for why GPA means nothing.

I don't want to take anything away from anyone's GPA. I would like to think I earned my GPA and like to be praised for it, but the reality is that hard work is diminished by the fact TQs exist at such an alarming rate for nearly every single class in podiatric medical school.

It's like the elephant in the room no one wants to talk about.

My point isn't that high GPA students have better or worse skills than lower GPA students.

My point is that you can't tell who preformed with resources and those who preformed with less resources. The problem is that you can't trust the GPA or class rank, because of this major issue.

Another issue is that there are also TQs for boards. So you can't even figure out the deserving students from that.

Literally the only way to correctly divide students is according to their clinical skills.

It's unfortunate, but that's the current status quo. The fact professors use multiple choice questions and repeatedly reuse questions over the years is partly to blame for why GPA means nothing.

I don't want to take anything away from anyone's GPA. I would like to think I earned my GPA and like to be praised for it, but the reality is that hard work is diminished by the fact TQs exist at such an alarming rate for nearly every single class in podiatric medical school.

I get where you're coming from with your concerns, but at the same time I genuinely feel that the Board exams uphold the highest standards of integrity. If not, wouldn't all schools have super high pass rates?

So what you’re saying is people who have friends/connections do better in this world?! OMG that’s shocking

Reactions: 4 users
I remember the cool kids somehow had access to old exams. But I never cheated in pod school. Kinda wish I did.

Better solution: reduce enrollment so everyone has a path to quality training, then school can be about learning and not about exams

...My point is that you can't tell who preformed with resources and those who preformed with less resources. The problem is that you can't trust the GPA or class rank, because of this major issue.

... GPA means nothing.

I remember the cool kids somehow had access to old exams. But I never cheated in pod school. Kinda wish I did.

Better solution: reduce enrollment so everyone has a path to quality training, then school can be about learning and not about exams
There is a some mistake that reviewing course materials, the course textbook(s), reviewing old exams, and reviewing the class notes some more is "cheating"...

Many of the podiatry professors put up their old exams online (BlackBoard or similar) for all to have. Some of the professors had the old exams on the univ library reserve when I attended. None of that alone will pass the class for someone who doesn't study, though. They would fail in epic fashion, and they still have many other classes to pass also. The past exams my professors provided were almost always not answered; I would usually study the notes/book for the course, work on the published old exams solo, and then meet my study group, who'd done the same, to discuss the concepts and answers any of us were stuck or confused on.

Heck, we had one professor who would give us one upcoming exam question/concept every week or two "and it's up to you guys if you share this with the people who don't go to class." It was designed to be an intentional advantage for people who attended.

Many MD schools, dent, other health professions do the same: professors provide "retired exams" (typically unanswered) in some form for students to use as practice and review.

Podiatry national boards (whatever acronym has not become), ABFAS, ABPM give practice exams of retired or similar but not answered and often not exact questions or different distractors. There are multiple aftermarket companies doing same with providing those questions or creating very similar. Knowing a test format sometimes as helpful as knowing the materials.

This is commonplace for many other industries also... pilot training exams, law licensing exams, almost any profession. Most of the questions are asked every year in same or similar format because the concepts are just that important. Some are even "open book." They want you to know that stuff cold and review it, so they give most of the info to you.

...and yeah, I get it: the pod schools where some kids get a bunch of older exams and some get almost nothing and need to use resources and networking to get them. At Barry, we were fairly lucky that a lot of the faculty simply put up the old tests, and the upperclassmen had coordinated other old tests so that all incoming students got the same batch. Were there a few that only some students had? Sure, I bet. Still, at the end of the day, there were plenty of courses where the professors made up half or even all of the exam questions. It's not as if they were impossible without old exams or easy if you had the most old exams.

It always comes down to primarily reviewing the notes and text and understanding the materials. There is an aspect of networking and resourcefulness too, but that is school as well as workplace and life overall. The fact of the matter is that podiatry school is harder than undergrad, which is harder than high school. We eventually get to a point where were are definitely not the smartest person in the room, but it's still perfectly feasible to do as well as we can... in this case, podiatry school and then match options. That's always the best option. With the ridiculous tuitions now, it's crazy not to try for the best residency training possible.

Of course the rich kids might help the rick kids, jocks might help jocks, ethnicity X kids are going to tend to help the ethnicity X kids, the Mormon kids will tend to help Mormon kids, kids whose parent is a DPM are usually at an advantage, and on and on. That is just how school and job search and life overall works. Trying to shame that or be mad about it doesn't change it.

But yes, if there is a professor or two or three at some pod schools(s) who is recycling all old test questions and some students have those and others do not, that needs to be brought up to the professor as well as deans/admins. Even in that situation, it's not as if having those exams will pass all other classes or pass boards for those students. They still would have to do the work, and it's not good to just dismiss gpa/rank for simplistic or jealous reasoning.

Last edited:
Well @Feli , if someone utilizes an old exam, with questions from an active question bank, that was not intended for the general student body, that's not "being resourceful;" that's cheating. If I'm describing anyone reading this, it doesn't mean you're a bad person, it just means you're a cheater. And you'll never not be a cheater any less than a murderer ceases to be a murderer.

Do what you must to get ahead, students, but don't sacrifice more than you need to in the process.

Well @Feli , if someone utilizes an old exam, with questions from an active question bank, that was not intended for the general student body, that's not "being resourceful;" that's cheating. If I'm describing anyone reading this, it doesn't mean you're a bad person, it just means you're a cheater. And you'll never not be a cheater any less than a murderer ceases to be a murderer.

Do what you must to get ahead, students, but don't sacrifice more than you need to in the process.
I get that you feel that way.
I am simply saying that this stuff happens at every stage of the game. It won't stop.

People obtain old tests and fail to share them.
People use friends/family/alumni/whatever connections to facilitate residency match... a job... more patients.
People flirt (or more) or bro up or kiss up to residents or attendings or directors or job decision makers to gain advantage.
People sometimes do residency or fellowship largely for the name or connection it may give.
People play any appearance or ethnicity or religion advantage they may happen to have.
Most people are always looking for a leg up. It's human nature.

Trying to blame or shame those things won't take away those people's diploma, change what their gpa was, change where they matched and trained residency. Afterwards, out in practice, it won't make patients or refer sources sour against them, stop them from getting a raise or promotion, etc. Trying to shame only really works if the person is perhaps very dialed-in on religion... and even then it's unlikely to have much effect if not coming from their peers/rabbi/family/priest/etc.

...even as an attending, we surely all have colleagues who are over-billing or unbundling surgery, maybe over-utilization. 100%.
Some waive copays to attract or keep patients.
A lot will run aggressive or questionable marketing campaigns.
Many DPMs show favoritism in hiring to alumni of their program, their network, etc... right?
Quite a few lie to associates about their collections, give them the lower payer pts, and refuse to let them see the meaningful math.
Some bash other nearby offices' outcomes to the point it causes bad reviews, bad sentiment, or even litigation.
...Is this stuff "cheating"? Some of it is gray area or wrong according to insurance or payer policies, no doubt. Most is just low-brow.
But the better question is: does it matter??? What will (or won't) the "sheriff" person do about it? And... Is it often best just to play past it?

Life is a lot more like high school than we wish it were. But, we have the same choices now that we did back then:
A) Complain or get upset
B) Tattle or shame others
C) Ignore it
D) Learn from it and play the game better

This is just the game we play; it's the world we live in. It's not black and white or good vs evil. It's everyone for themselves.
But, to the original point, saying gpa is fake or meaningless is just not accurate. There is learning value from all situations. Nearly all residencies will seek the best students they can find (gpa, work ethic if the student was an extern, interview smarts, passed boards, appearance and social skill, etc).

Last edited:
Your posts confuse me

you ask questions but then will say "well i've been to school with a hard cirriculum", or "my friends say that residency training is the same everywhere"

what is your purpose on this forum if you already have answers (albeit, horrible unrealistic answers) to the questions you are looking for.

I would recommend applying to all the new york programs and va programs. You're already accepted.

• Haha
Unfortunately, while we are sitting here disparaging each other, all over the country nurse practitioners who never took pharmacology are prescribing to patients in emergency rooms. I find that to be a painful bookend to our profession's focus on upward improvement and achievement. We wanted to be like the MD/DOs. But all you really need is legislation and someone who wants to save a buck.

Your posts confuse me

you ask questions but then will say "well i've been to school with a hard cirriculum", or "my friends say that residency training is the same everywhere"

what is your purpose on this forum if you already have answers (albeit, horrible unrealistic answers) to the questions you are looking for.

I would recommend applying to all the new york programs and va programs. You're already accepted.

I asked the topic question because I did not know the answer to the topic question.

It's really that simple.

There is a some mistake that reviewing course materials, the course textbook(s), reviewing old exams, and reviewing the class notes some more is "cheating"...
Most universities state using exams is a form of cheating in their cheating handbook. At least the last couple I went to. I would be very shocked if any podiatry schools were too different.

I agree with the official handbook, using past tests is cheating, not resourceful.

People obtain old tests and fail to share them.
People use friends/family/alumni/whatever connections to facilitate residency match... a job... more patients.
People flirt (or more) or bro up or kiss up to residents or attendings or directors or job decision makers to gain advantage.
People sometimes do residency or fellowship largely for the name or connection it may give.
People play any appearance or ethnicity or religion advantage they may happen to have.
Most people are always looking for a leg up. It's human nature.

I agree. But the point is that this can actually be diminished greatly with professors who aren't lazy and make non-multiple choice exams and don't reuse almost entire question banks over and over again.

I used to grade papers for classes with over 150 people where it wasn't multiple choice and where the questions were changed up quite a bit over time. There are ways to do it efficiently.

Trying to blame or shame those things won't take away those people's diploma, change what their gpa was, change where they matched and trained residency. Afterwards, out in practice, it won't make patients or refer sources sour against them, stop them from getting a raise or promotion, etc. Trying to shame only really works if the person is perhaps very dialed-in on religion... and even then it's unlikely to have much effect if not coming from their peers/rabbi/family/priest/etc.
I'm not blaming the students so much as the professors who refuse to make their exams any different.

But I'm also blaming people who think GPA and class rank are that significant, when it's not because of this issue.

You're surely passing over great students because they didn't rely on resources.

..even as an attending, we surely all have colleagues who are over-billing or unbundling surgery, maybe over-utilization. 100%.
Some waive copays to attract or keep patients.
A lot will run aggressive or questionable marketing campaigns.
Many DPMs show favoritism in hiring to alumni of their program, their network, etc... right?
Quite a few lie to associates about their collections, give them the lower payer pts, and refuse to let them see the meaningful math.
Some bash other nearby offices' outcomes to the point it causes bad reviews, bad sentiment, or even litigation.
...Is this stuff "cheating"? Some of it is gray area or wrong according to insurance or payer policies, no doubt. Most is just low-brow.
But the better question is: does it matter??? What will (or won't) the "sheriff" person do about it? And... Is it often best just to play past it?
Yea, a lot of DPMs do these things. But that doesn't change my point that the current GPA system is near useless in determining anything because of how it's set up.

Life is a lot more like high school than we wish it were. But, we have the same choices now that we did back then:
A) Complain or get upset
B) Tattle or shame others
C) Ignore it
D) Learn from it and play the game better

For the most part I ignore it and "play the game". But that doesn't change the reality. Just having me talk about the horrific GPA system is enough to get some upset.

This is just the game we play; it's the world we live in. It's not black and white or good vs evil. It's everyone for themselves.
But, to the original point, saying gpa is fake or meaningless is just not accurate. There is learning value from all situations. Nearly all residencies will seek the best students they can find (gpa, work ethic if the student was an extern, interview smarts, passed boards, appearance and social skill, etc).
I agree with you, the major thing I just don't agree with you is about how GPA or class rank really means anything. Most other things I definitely agree with.

I agree. But the point is that this can actually be diminished greatly with professors who aren't lazy and make non-multiple choice exams and don't reuse almost entire question banks over and over again.

I used to grade papers for classes with over 150 people where it wasn't multiple choice and where the questions were changed up quite a bit over time. There are ways to do it efficiently.
Sounds like the “not so lazy” professors took advantage of you

Sounds like the “not so lazy” professors took advantage of you
I was getting paid and had free tuition so I can't complain. Comes with any graduate school, at the ones with more rigorous STEM work at least.

I was getting paid and had free tuition so I can't complain. Comes with any graduate school, at the ones with more rigorous STEM work at least.
Oh!! I knew all those grad students boycotting saying they were being taken advantage of were total liars. You really have everything figured out. I envy you and wish I had half the accomplished friends and rigorous work you do. Cheers

Oh!! I knew all those grad students boycotting saying they were being taken advantage of were total liars. You really have everything figured out. I envy you and wish I had half the accomplished friends and rigorous work you do. Cheers
Different graduate school programs work differently depending on major, location, etc.

It's not unusual for a PhD student in a STEM subject to be paid near 50k a year while having tuition waved.

However, the same cannot be said about many other majors in graduate school.

Different graduate school programs work differently depending on major, location, etc.

It's not unusual for a PhD student in a STEM subject to be paid near 50k a year while having tuition waved.

However, the said cannot be said about many other majors in graduate school.
Oh you did a PhD too?! A jack of all trades. I shouldn’t be surprised since you were able to memorize 200 out of the 205 questions for part I

• Haha
Oh you did a PhD too?! A jack of all trades. I shouldn’t be surprised since you were able to memorize 200 out of the 205 questions for part I
Rather impressive I must say. I get PTSD if I recall missing a few questions lol.

Rather impressive I must say. I get PTSD if I recall missing a few questions lol.
I took boards part 1 as if my life was on the line so immediately after I wrote the questions down and checked the answers. I wouldn't recommend it because my raw score was so bad that I genuinely thought I was going to fail. However, I must have been fortunate enough with the "experimental" questions and peer comparison to be able to pass. Although it couldn't have been a high pass lmao.

Unfortunately, while we are sitting here disparaging each other, all over the country nurse practitioners who never took pharmacology are prescribing to patients in emergency rooms. I find that to be a painful bookend to our profession's focus on upward improvement and achievement. We wanted to be like the MD/DOs. But all you really need is legislation and someone who wants to save a buck.
MD/DOs need nurses more than they need podiatrists. Hospitals need nurses more than they need podiatrists. The medical community doesn't really need us. We are luxury. We take the burden off other services who could do what we do but don't want to.

Your point is valid. Podiatry hyper focuses on nonsense rather than uniting and fighting for broader scope of practice but we don't because we are too busy tearing each other down to fight for the same dollar. Because again, the medical community doesn't really need us. We are luxury profession and there is too many of us.

The medical community needs nurses because they run the hospitals. Hospitals would shut down without them. Therefore they can fight for and get whatever they want. Just wait until they are allowed to do minor surgeries in the OR within our lifetimes. It will probably happen.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
MD/DOs need nurses more than they need podiatrists. Hospitals need nurses more than they need podiatrists. The medical community doesn't really need us. We are luxury. We take the burden off other services who could do what we do but don't want to.
Rarely do I run into a statement that I love / feel needs stickied. This is one of them. Bravo.

Otherwise, I think OP’s question has been answered. Best of luck to you!

Only programs that would have a reason to take you.

Plus programs with a fellowship you might be interested in later. It’s a good way to meet the director.
"Hello. I heard you have an exciting opportunity for me to make 60k as an associate fellow after I graduate. Can I buy you a drink?"