CSPM vs. Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
we are done by spring break. It is more like 1 or 2 hours lecture, 8 hours lab per week. Yes, it really is self taught, but with the book being so complete, I actually like it like this. This only works for anatomy though. Blocks are great. We are in LLA and Pod Med Diagnostics from now til spring break. After that, we have a 6.5 hour class called Pod Med Biomechanics and Surgery, and that is all till the end on may 20 something.

Also, I don't think lecture has much of a point at this point. It really is to re-inforce some of the stuff you learn in lab. Lab is about really becoming intimately aware of the relationships between structures, something that lecture could never truly grasp.

Looking ahead from now til spring break, we basically have 1 or 2 hours of lecture per day with 2 hours dissection. 1 day per week we have no lab and maybe 2 or 3 hours of lecture. Thats it. I love it.

I agree. I never get anything out anatomy lectures... Half the time I dont even go. Having an LEA lab every week for 3 hours is golden though. I couldnt imagine learning the intimate details of LEA without it.

Thanks for your response Darazon.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a student at Western and agree with pretty much everything Darazon has said. I personally like our school a lot. Great facilities. Great faculty. Yes there are some kinks that are being worked out with the curriculum (as can be expected with a new program) but for the most part I think we are getting a very good education.

I notice there a lot of questions on these forums regarding the logic behind the way our curriculum is set up (2 + 2 format with all of our classes integrated with the DOs the first two years [except for our PMP-podiatry class while they have OMM]), and this is actually something I have talked to Dr. Harkless about a few times. For those that don't know much about Dr. Harkless (as I would suspect most students don't if they don't go to Western), he is very involved with the politics of trying to make sure DPM's are treated as equals to the MD's and DO's. His logic is that the easiest way to achieve this parity is to be able to show them that we received the exact same medical education as they did. If we (DPMs) can show we have had an equal medical education it will help in the process of trying to get a national scope of practice established with equal physician status with regards to insurance companies, the military, etc.

Can you guys comment on how receptive and proactive administration has been towards feedback that 2nd years have given? How much has changed between the 2 years? Obviously they can't accomodate all requests, but still.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year but from what I've seen/heard they have used the feedback from the second year class quite a bit regarding the structure of our PMP class. We actually have "dean's town hall meetings" every 3 or 4 weeks during our lunch time where Dr. Harkless comes and talks to all of us and takes notes about what our thoughts/concerns are with the curriculum and then he takes those notes to his next faculty meeting to address any issues. As you said, not all requests can be met, but I have been very impressed with the effort that the administrative faculty members seem to be putting into this program.

Question is is that does the faculty do actually anything to change what is brought up during these town hall meeting? From my sources I here nothing ever is changed and the dean doesnt have any clue what is going on with the student. Tell us all what has been changed because of the town halls meeting? Please

With love and God Bless America,
-Gimli, Son of Gloin, Son of Groin, Son of Farin, Son of Borin, Son of Durin

Does anyone actually expect much change from Western so soon in the game? They've only had ONE class complete the first year curriculum....how much change would you actually see at this point? You also have to remember that Western is one of the better DO programs in the country and I'm sure faculty will be reluctant to change too much in terms of material/presentation at the request of 30 students when it works for 200+ every year.

Keep in mind I am not putting down Western, but defending the fact that there probably hasn't been much change as a result of the meetings...yet. But knowing Dr. Harkless I would guarantee he is listening to students and constantly looking for ways to upgrade curriculum.

Gimli, you are incredibly entertaining. I'm dead serious, you should post more. If only you weren't so busy saving the world.......of Warcraft.