CSU San Marcos - Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMT2Medical

Reaction score
Hey,

I am a recent UCSB graduate, but am now applying to career changer postbacc programs as I have realized I want to pursue the medical field as opposed to Paramedic/Firefighter route. I just moved to San Diego and learned that CSU San Marcos has a post bacc career changer program and just wanted to know if anyone has or will be in the program. I know there was a thread back in 2016, when the program was fairly if not completely new, with not so great reviews. I wouldn't doubt that it was a program that needed work, but every program most likely was not the best at first. So after a few years of figuring out how to better educate students, has it improved at all? Is it still a struggling program that is not going to help me with my education? Or has it improved over the years and become a post bacc program comparable to CSU Fullerton, Chapman, Scripps, UCS, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am also applying to CSUSM post bac this cycle. I just attended one of their info sessions and according to their stats they have a 94% acceptance rate into professional schools for those that successfully complete their program. The course list is almost identical to CSUF (which I am also applying to) and they are currently working on *some* linkage agreements although those probably won't be applicable to those applying and completing in the next few years as I'm sure that is a process in itself. If anyone else who has completed this program has any insight I'd also love to hear it.

From what they said their program is meant to be completed weekday evenings (with the possibility of some Saturday labs) to allow for students to work, volunteer, research during the day.

Hope this helps. Again, not a current student but I am applying and looking deeply into these programs.

Good luck! And if you want a study buddy in San Diego, I'm your gal!

JH

Reactions: 1 users
I also attended their one info sessions. They seem to be very helpful and insightful which gives me hope after seeing some of the older reviews. I also know they do not have MCAT prep integrated and that you have to find shadowing and research opportunities on your own.

I would also assume it would be a program that has shown growth and may be up to par with Fullerton and East Bay’s post bacc as they are all within the CSU system. I am also applying to Fullerton as well as they have linkages and San Marcos’ linkage program is in the making. Although I like that Fullertons is not evening classes.

And yeah! I would be super down! Changing careers and majors is a huge challenge for the both of us and I could definitely use any extra help and support through a study buddy!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also attended their one info sessions. They seem to be very helpful and insightful which gives me hope after seeing some of the older reviews. I also know they do not have MCAT prep integrated and that you have to find shadowing and research opportunities on your own.

I would also assume it would be a program that has shown growth and may be up to par with Fullerton and East Bay’s post bacc as they are all within the CSU system. I am also applying to Fullerton as well as they have linkages and San Marcos’ linkage program is in the making. Although I like that Fullertons is not evening classes.

And yeah! I would be super down! Changing careers and majors is a huge challenge for the both of us and I could definitely use any extra help and support through a study buddy!
I am definitely torn about the evening classes. I originally did not like that San Marcos was evening, but I am now working on some research and clinical trials with a surgeon, and having classes in the evening might actually work out better for that. Although George Washington is my top choice med school and a linkage would be super ideal so Fullerton is still in the running. I'm still working out my pros/cons lists! It's a process!

I guess I have to get into these programs first though. I am still working on my essay questions.

To anyone who has applied....has anyone heard back for an interview yet? Trying to gauge how long it is taking to hear back!

I have an acceptance to another post bac but this one is my preferred program. The other program needs a commitment by March 17, so I am getting nervous that I won't hear anything back.

They just emailed me with an acceptance, it was pretty straight forward and surprising honestly.

I don't know how they got this 94% number, because they never even asked me what I did after I finished. Must be 94% of people they asked cause I skipped the last class and didn't get a certificate (certificate literally means nothing). Also, 94% acceptance into PROFESSIONAL school isn't very impressive, given that pharmacy schools give out acceptances like candy. Most people in my cohort went into pharmacy, and I was the only one so far who got into a USMD the following year. One went into podiatry. Only two other people are even trying for medical school and of those one of them was doing research for like 2 years and the other already got rejected one cycle.

If you are a serious student, I honestly don't think it matters where you go for a post-bacc. You'll be able to be top of the class anywhere. I think most of the professors I had a couple years ago when I finished the program were excellent, so the education factor isn't the problem. The problem I think is the quality of students they accepted. Back then, it didn't seem very selective and not to sound like a dick and a majority of the class had a flippant attitude about getting into medical school. In the beginning, there were a ton of people specifically trying to go into MEDICAL SCHOOL, I would say over 60% of the class. At the end, there were less than a handful and then only two of us actually applied after we finished. This program had no formal preparation for applying to medical school a couple of years ago and there is no one there to hold your hand. The turnover of the coordinator position of the program is pretty crazy too as the coordinator leaves after a couple of years (the coordinator for my year has also left for another position).

So, what I'll say having gone through this program back in 2020 and as a current M2 is this. If you know what you are doing and don't need guidance for attending medical school, this program is for you. The classes are straightforward and you can easily get As without studying an exorbitant amount. But if you know what you are doing and don't need guidance, realistically you could go to any school you wanted to. If you are a slacker or need serious guidance for medical school, this program is not for you. You will need to do your own research and create your own timeline.

Why did I go into this program? Wasn't by choice I'll tell you that. I had a 2.6 or something undergrad GPA and other programs straight up rejected me because of that. CSUSM was the only formal program that accepted me, so I took my chance and ran with it. I got a 4.0 in the postbacc, 95th+ percentile on the MCAT and got into med school. I don't know anything about any of the other programs, but I honestly think that if you do your own research and have a good timeplan/plan to hit all the requirements for applying to medical school, you'll be fine wherever you go.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't know how they got this 94% number, because they never even asked me what I did after I finished. Must be 94% of people they asked cause I skipped the last class and didn't get a certificate (certificate literally means nothing). Also, 94% acceptance into PROFESSIONAL school isn't very impressive, given that pharmacy schools give out acceptances like candy. Most people in my cohort went into pharmacy, and I was the only one so far who got into a USMD the following year. One went into podiatry. Only two other people are even trying for medical school and of those one of them was doing research for like 2 years and the other already got rejected one cycle.

If you are a serious student, I honestly don't think it matters where you go for a post-bacc. You'll be able to be top of the class anywhere. I think most of the professors I had a couple years ago when I finished the program were excellent, so the education factor isn't the problem. The problem I think is the quality of students they accepted. Back then, it didn't seem very selective and not to sound like a dick and a majority of the class had a flippant attitude about getting into medical school. In the beginning, there were a ton of people specifically trying to go into MEDICAL SCHOOL, I would say over 60% of the class. At the end, there were less than a handful and then only two of us actually applied after we finished. This program had no formal preparation for applying to medical school a couple of years ago and there is no one there to hold your hand. The turnover of the coordinator position of the program is pretty crazy too as the coordinator leaves after a couple of years (the coordinator for my year has also left for another position).

So, what I'll say having gone through this program back in 2020 and as a current M2 is this. If you know what you are doing and don't need guidance for attending medical school, this program is for you. The classes are straightforward and you can easily get As without studying an exorbitant amount. But if you know what you are doing and don't need guidance, realistically you could go to any school you wanted to. If you are a slacker or need serious guidance for medical school, this program is not for you. You will need to do your own research and create your own timeline.

Why did I go into this program? Wasn't by choice I'll tell you that. I had a 2.6 or something undergrad GPA and other programs straight up rejected me because of that. CSUSM was the only formal program that accepted me, so I took my chance and ran with it. I got a 4.0 in the postbacc, 95th+ percentile on the MCAT and got into med school. I don't know anything about any of the other programs, but I honestly think that if you do your own research and have a good timeplan/plan to hit all the requirements for applying to medical school, you'll be fine wherever you go.
Thanks for your input! It’s good to hear. I’ve been accepted into another program but CSUSM is preferred because they are cheaper and the classes are in the evening do I can continue to work as a nurse during the day and work on the research I’ve started. I find it weird that they don’t conduct interviews or even look at a CV. It’s very different from the other post bac programs that I’ve applied for.

Did you apply to med school to start the fall after post bac was completed or did you take a glide year?

Took a glide year. Studied for the MCAT during our last semester and then took it in June after classes were done. Started my app, but didn't work on it seriously until I got my score. Matriculated the following year (14 months after finishing the postbacc).

They just emailed me with an acceptance, it was pretty straight forward and surprising honestly.
Can I ask how long between when you submitted your application and when you were accepted?

I have a feeling I’m going to have to pay the deposit at this other program to hold my spot in case I don’t get into CSUSM

Ya I believe I did like a half submit through their portal. Meaning that I did not even request official transcripts and I just sent in a half filled out application to the program since it sort of became my very last option. It took about two weeks or a half a week for a conditional acceptance, but I asked to extend as I am on the same boat with you. LMU needs theirs by the 17th, but I also extended it till after I interview with Scripps. I'm 100% sure you'll get accepted given your experience and current research experience. Just submit asap since director said they need to get their cohort together soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya I believe I did like a half submit through their portal. Meaning that I did not even request official transcripts and I just sent in a half filled out application to the program since it sort of became my very last option. It took about two weeks or a half a week for a conditional acceptance, but I asked to extend as I am on the same boat with you. LMU needs theirs by the 17th, but I also extended it till after I interview with Scripps. I'm 100% sure you'll get accepted given your experience and current research experience. Just submit asap since director said they need to get their cohort together soon.
I submitted for CSUSM on Feb 27 or 28 and haven't heard anything. I emailed the given email address to update on transcripts and I attached my CV hoping it would prompt them and let them know I was really interested.

Did you ask LMU if you could extend their deposit requirement? I don't want to lose my spot if I don't get into CSUSM or CSUF but I also don't want to be out $500 if I don't have to be.

Oh ya, I just emailed the and she was fine with it and gave me till the 24th. For San Marcos, I submitted 2/3 and was accepted conditionally on 2/15.

Took a glide year. Studied for the MCAT during our last semester and then took it in June after classes were done. Started my app, but didn't work on it seriously until I got my score. Matriculated the following year (14 months after finishing the postbacc).
Hi Guntiboy,

I was unable to send you a DM but I'd like to ask you a couple of questions regarding the CSUSM Post bacc! I just accepted for this fall 2023 cohort. Thanks for your post above it was v helpful.
How were the professors? Did the education you received prepare you for the MCAT (It seemed so since you scored so well!) Were the classes reasonably challenging to obtain 4.0? I understand there are small classes but were the lectures recorded and how strict was attendance? (I currently work 12 hour shifts in a hospital so the evening classes might be difficult. I am working hard at applying for different jobs with a traditional schedule currently.) How were your colleagues in the cohort? Were you able to build a relationship with your professors/ are they helpful?

Thank you so much in advance!

Hi Guntiboy,

I was unable to send you a DM but I'd like to ask you a couple of questions regarding the CSUSM Post bacc! I just accepted for this fall 2023 cohort. Thanks for your post above it was v helpful.
How were the professors? Did the education you received prepare you for the MCAT (It seemed so since you scored so well!) Were the classes reasonably challenging to obtain 4.0? I understand there are small classes but were the lectures recorded and how strict was attendance? (I currently work 12 hour shifts in a hospital so the evening classes might be difficult. I am working hard at applying for different jobs with a traditional schedule currently.) How were your colleagues in the cohort? Were you able to build a relationship with your professors/ are they helpful?

i dont know if they have the same professors, but back when I did it the professors were all good. there were like 2 who weren't good but they might have let those ones go (bio 2 and human physiology).

i think the ochem chem and physics courses were taught really well and definitely helped make mcat studying easier. i scored 132 in the chem section probably because they really drilled key concepts in those courses pretty well. i don't think it was hard to get a 4.0 in the classes and I easily had a 4.0 in every class. if you do the practice homework questions and tests they give you until you can do every problem in your sleep, the tests are almost the exact same with maybe 1 or 2 questions that would test your ability to understand the concepts instead of regurgitate. not even kidding when I say I averaged like a 98% raw score in almost all of these classes doing just that. a would say a decent amount of other students also got As, but there were also a far amount who did worse either from lack of effort or motivation or something else going on.

classes are more or less mandatory and everyone went to class every single day. no one takes roll, but skipping it is bad because its not recorded and the lecturers will test on stuff they talk about in class. i would not recommend working and going to class simply because the people who did it in my class struggled. my colleagues were cool and im still good friends with two of them. professors are pretty open to helping students and they understand where you are coming from. i got good LORs from all of them.

let me emphasize this to anyone who looks this up after. if you do a program like this, they aren't gonna hold your hand or give you any guidance. you should know what you're doing and really be motivated to do well. it is easy to fall into this trap where you think because you are in this program its gonna rocket you into medical school, I know a ton of my cohort thought that on day 1 for some reason. if you did ****ty in undergrad and then take this thinking you can waltz into medical school you wont. identify why you failed before and fix it. many people kept making the same mistakes and gave up on going to medical school.

from my cohort of like 40 or something beginning 5 years ago, 2 are in medical school. i literally just got out of a c-section typing this. one person just got accepted into a DO starting their first year. 1 is in podiatry school. 1 is planning on applying to medical school still. 80% of the class said they wanted to be physicians when we started. be smart and realize you don't want to half ass anything.

Hi Guntiboy,

Were you accepted after the orientation or were you able to attend orientation? We met the director/bio professor, talked to students in the prior cohort and they answered many of the questions you are asking.

Were you accepted after the orientation or were you able to attend orientation? We met the director/bio professor, talked to students in the prior cohort and they answered many of the questions you are asking.
I got accepted after the orientation! :( Did any of the previous students mention how they were able to tolerate the second fall semester of the cohort (which is Orgo, Biochem, and Physics). Seems pretty hardcore to me to cramp those courses into one semester when my priority is pass with all As. Cramping all those courses seem risky. I am curious to how they preformed and what their successes are getting into medical school or their professional school.

I got accepted after the orientation! :( Did any of the previous students mention how they were able to tolerate the second fall semester of the cohort (which is Orgo, Biochem, and Physics). Seems pretty hardcore to me to cramp those courses into one semester when my priority is pass with all As. Cramping all those courses seem risky. I am curious to how they preformed and what their successes are getting into medical school or their professional school.
The students that came to talk to us were just finishing summer semester and about to take their Orgo final. (They have 2 semesters left)

They said all of their professors so far have been great and all of the classes are for the post bac cohort only. So unlike regular undergrad classes, the content is directed specifically for med/vet/dental students and exam questions will be directed more to help with MCAT/DAT content. The director is newer but seems to want to make the program really successful and helpful.

As for working 12 hour shifts, I don’t think there’s any way you could do that with this program. (Unless it was on weekends) I’m a nurse and switched to per diem at my job and now only work 6-8 hour shifts.

Feel free to message with any more questions.

The students that came to talk to us were just finishing summer semester and about to take their Orgo final. (They have 2 semesters left)

They said all of their professors so far have been great and all of the classes are for the post bac cohort only. So unlike regular undergrad classes, the content is directed specifically for med/vet/dental students and exam questions will be directed more to help with MCAT/DAT content. The director is newer but seems to want to make the program really successful and helpful.

As for working 12 hour shifts, I don’t think there’s any way you could do that with this program. (Unless it was on weekends) I’m a nurse and switched to per diem at my job and now only work 6-8 hour shifts.

Feel free to message with any more questions.
Thanks so much for that. Is your company hiring more nurses? I'm an RN too, It's so hard to find a per diem job with that flexibility!

Hey,

I am a recent UCSB graduate, but am now applying to career changer postbacc programs as I have realized I want to pursue the medical field as opposed to Paramedic/Firefighter route. I just moved to San Diego and learned that CSU San Marcos has a post bacc career changer program and just wanted to know if anyone has or will be in the program. I know there was a thread back in 2016, when the program was fairly if not completely new, with not so great reviews. I wouldn't doubt that it was a program that needed work, but every program most likely was not the best at first. So after a few years of figuring out how to better educate students, has it improved at all? Is it still a struggling program that is not going to help me with my education? Or has it improved over the years and become a post bacc program comparable to CSU Fullerton, Chapman, Scripps, UCS, etc.?
Hi there, I applied to CSUSM and CSUF for their career changer postbacc programs and am trying to weigh the pros and cons of each. I will have to decide before they start in the fall of 2024! I will probably be pre-dental or pre-med. Please let me know if you have any more insight you'd be willing to share :) thanks.

I am also applying to CSUSM post bac this cycle. I just attended one of their info sessions and according to their stats they have a 94% acceptance rate into professional schools for those that successfully complete their program. The course list is almost identical to CSUF (which I am also applying to) and they are currently working on *some* linkage agreements although those probably won't be applicable to those applying and completing in the next few years as I'm sure that is a process in itself. If anyone else who has completed this program has any insight I'd also love to hear it.

From what they said their program is meant to be completed weekday evenings (with the possibility of some Saturday labs) to allow for students to work, volunteer, research during the day.

Hope this helps. Again, not a current student but I am applying and looking deeply into these programs.

Good luck! And if you want a study buddy in San Diego, I'm your gal!

JH
Hi there! I applied to CSUSM and CSUF and am deciding between the two before August of 2024. Wanted to reach out - I'd love to have a study buddy :)