CSU to Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I'm curious to see if anyone here has been accepted into dental school having completed your undergraduate studies at a CSU. I've been hearing a lot of debate between the quality of education among UC's and CSU's. You definitely can't argue the prestige that UC's carry, but I'm really taking the cost of tuition into consideration and am inclined to take the CSU route because of it. This is not a thread comparing UC's to CSU's. This is about CSU graduates that have successfully been admitted into dental school. Any stories/advice/pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :horns:

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated CSU and I'll be starting dental school at the university of Iowa this fall. A friend of mine will be starting at Marquette this year as well.

CSU has an incredible biomedical science program. So many awesome professors. I don't really know anything about UC but I've been to boulder four or five times and hated it every time. Way too busy, congested and overrated.

Also, prestige doesn't come into play at all until you get to ivy league level schools. And even then probably not too much. You can get into dental school from anywhere. It's so much more about what you do with your time.
What are you going to pursue and invest in that will set you apart from the crowd? I promise you the name on your diploma will not set you apart.

Choose two things you're passionate about. One organization (gvmt or even sport - doesn't matter as long as you enjoy it) and one volunteering thing. Maybe research as well if it interests you, but it's not necessary. Get deeply involved. Never settle for a C. Keep your GPA above 3.6 and get a 20+ on the DAT. Obviously the higher the better on both of those but those would be my minimum cut offs.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the advice. It's reassuring and great to hear. The only person that I personally know to have been accepted into dental school was a UCI graduate. All other friends who have attended CSU's have been interested in other fields. Thanks again, and good luck to you in dental school. Best wishes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to a CSU and got several interviews and acceptances. It's really what you make from it.

You might actually learn more from a CSU than a UC, although a UC does carry more weight, especially to West Coast dental schools.

Like @Iowalegacy mentioned, keep your overall and science GPA in the upper 3's, get a DAT score that starts with a 2 (or a 3), and also get as much dental experience as you can (clubs, orgs, shadowing, go abroad and do some root planing in a 3rd world country). It's almost guaranteed dental schools will be sending you interviews left and right.

I just graduated CSU and I'll be starting dental school at the university of Iowa this fall. A friend of mine will be starting at Marquette this year as well.

CSU has an incredible biomedical science program. So many awesome professors. I don't really know anything about UC but I've been to boulder four or five times and hated it every time. Way too busy, congested and overrated.

Just to clarify, OP meant California State Universities vs University of California schools.

Just to clarify, OP meant California State Universities vs University of California schools.
Oh! Haha I'm sorry. I still believe my advice applies just as well, but I'm sorry for the confusion

Reactions: 1 users
CSU as in Colorado State University or California ? (I go to Colorado)

Definitely possible. Met a ucsf 4th year that chose to go to a csu for the same exact reasons--price.

Last edited:
If its a 4 year you are good to go.