This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stellanoelle

Reaction score
Hi... I'm a little worried because I transferred from a UC to a CSU midway through college and so far at every interview I've had, they always grilled me about that decision. Personally, I just wasn't a fan of huge class sizes at the UC school because I never felt comfortable enough to approach my professors + I had family issues. However, I did notice an improvement in grades when I transferred. I want to know if anybody has transitioned from a state school to a "top" dental school like UOP and how it has been. Was it manageable? How are you doing in classes? I know every dental school has a rigorous curriculum, but I've been doubting myself lately and am not sure if I would be better off/do better at a "less competitive" school?

Members don't see this ad.

I went to a CSU over a UC, and got into UCLA and just finished my first quarter (applied last cycle). It's been fun! I'm doing well in my classes, and haven't had any issues. UoP is somewhat different, because it goes by fast (so you can't really compare that school's courseload to any of the other dental schools), so it might be harder to do well at UoP- I know people who have withdrawn because of its pace.

Reactions: 1 user
I went to a CSU over a UC, and got into UCLA and just finished my first quarter (applied last cycle). It's been fun! I'm doing well in my classes, and haven't had any issues. UoP is somewhat different, because it goes by fast (so you can't really compare that school's courseload to any of the other dental schools), so it might be harder to do well at UoP- I know people who have withdrawn because of its pace.
Thank you so much for your feedback! Do you mind sharing where you went to school for undergrad and what your grades were like?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your feedback! Do you mind sharing where you went to school for undergrad and what your grades were like?
I'd rather keep that private but I graduated with a 3.98 science and a 3.88 overall GPA :) Got Bs/A-s in my GE courses cause I didn't care about them much, but I got As in almost every science class I took

I'd rather keep that private but I graduated with a 3.98 science and a 3.88 overall GPA :) Got Bs/A-s in my GE courses cause I didn't care about them much, but I got As in almost every science class I took
THANK YOU!!!!

I work in the CA central valley, and many of the dentist I know here went to Fresno State (CSU Fresno for those not around here, haha), which is actually a decently sized dental school feeder school.

You can get in from any college. Also, arent CSUs also filled with huge lectures just like most UCs are? I've never heard of anyone talk about small class sizes at a CSU
My class size was about 60-80 compared to about 400-500... I know you can get in from any college. I’m just wondering how dental school is like for students who graduated from a CSU vs a UC

Once you're in, I'd say there is no difference. About a third of my class was from small liberal arts colleges, they did just fine. In terms of the actually class curriculum content of a CSU vs UC that would have any impact on dental school, there's not much of a difference

Once you're in, I'd say there is no difference. About a third of my class was from small liberal arts colleges, they did just fine. In terms of the actually class curriculum content of a CSU vs UC that would have any impact on dental school, there's not much of a difference
Everybody makes it seem as though UC’s are superior and much more difficult compared to CSUs. Im just feeling nervous about not being good enough if i end up choosing to attend a top dental school

It's just that they're usually harder to get into for undergrad; I don't think anyone would really care otherwise where you went to school. & being good enough that's just up to you - there are students at top undergrads who shouldn't be there & there's also top students at no-name places who could have gone to a top college.
I get that anyone can end up at any dental school. It’s just that as someone who transferred from a UC to a CSU halfway through my undergrad career, I’m scared that by going to a big name dental school like UOP/UCSF/USC, people are going to think I don’t belong... when i interviewed, they always asked about my decision to transfer/grilled me on the improvement of grades... honestly I’m starting to think I’m not good enough either and wondering if I should choose a different school.

I get that anyone can end up at any dental school. It’s just that as someone who transferred from a UC to a CSU halfway through my undergrad career, I’m scared that by going to a big name dental school like UOP/UCSF/USC, people are going to think I don’t belong... when i interviewed, they always asked about my decision to transfer/grilled me on the improvement of grades... honestly I’m starting to think I’m not good enough either and wondering if I should choose a different school.
if the school accepted you, they are confident you will succeed there...

Ok, step back and take a breath for a second. You're waaaay over thinking this. If you get an interview, in general your school, grades and academics have met a certain standard, and aren't really an issue separating you from other candidates anymore.

I feel like the pre-reqs that I took at my community college far better prepared me for dental school than the ones I took at UC, haha. Also, in general your didactic classes in dental school are taught from the level of not having taken that class before, so don't stress. The main thing that makes dental school hard is the workload, ie - taking 25-27 units your first semester. As long as you can buckle down your study skills, you will likely do just fine.

Name doesn't mean everything. Be careful when considering big "name" or "top" dental schools - dental schools are not ranked, and a lot of the time you're paying a big premium for that name, and not necessarily getting a great experience compared to other schools.

Of course you can. I went to a CSU and got accepted to a dental school. Just figure out where you will do best. If you go to a CSU and get a 3.8 or 4.0 that's much better than going to a UC and getting a 3.0. Natural selection! Choose the environment where you will succeed the most. I chose CSU because it felt more friendly, less competative, closer to home and cheaper :) Never does it mean it is easier, as that can depend on what you're good at and what professor you get. Get a feel for the situation. For example if it is a UC with a dental school that is more advantageous to you. Good luck.

Of course you can. I went to a CSU and got accepted to a dental school. Just figure out where you will do best. If you go to a CSU and get a 3.8 or 4.0 that's much better than going to a UC and getting a 3.0. Natural selection! Choose the environment where you will succeed the most. I chose CSU because it felt more friendly, less competative, closer to home and cheaper :) Never does it mean it is easier, as that can depend on what you're good at and what professor you get. Get a feel for the situation. For example if it is a UC with a dental school that is more advantageous to you. Good luck.
Hi! Thank you for this. :) Are you headed to dental school this fall?

Literally nothing to worry about for something like this. Looks like you had an upward trend in grades too! Awesome!

I graduated from a top UC school, and barely learned/retained anything in my pre-req classes there. I re-did every single pre-req at a community college (trust me, I think commitees think it’s worse to go UC to community college then UC to CSU) so I had a lot of explaining to do in my interviews as well. It’s all in your story and explanation and why you will be successful in dental school despite these preconceived notions. I learned so much in my community college classes and did well on my DAT because of this decision. UOP was one of the schools I was accepted to, so it is possible! Work it, you got it!

Literally nothing to worry about for something like this. Looks like you had an upward trend in grades too! Awesome!

I graduated from a top UC school, and barely learned/retained anything in my pre-req classes there. I re-did every single pre-req at a community college (trust me, I think commitees think it’s worse to go UC to community college then UC to CSU) so I had a lot of explaining to do in my interviews as well. It’s all in your story and explanation and why you will be successful in dental school despite these preconceived notions. I learned so much in my community college classes and did well on my DAT because of this decision. UOP was one of the schools I was accepted to, so it is possible! Work it, you got it!
Wow thank you so much for this! I was also accepted to UOP. Are you planning to head there?! :)

Wow thank you so much for this! I was also accepted to UOP. Are you planning to head there?! :)
I'm figuring out some logistics between a few schools but UOP is probably top choice. Are you planning on attending?