csu vs uc davis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gracietiger

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
there are no previous threads comparing these two schools so i'm wondering if anyone here chose one over the other, and what your reasons were for doing so?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I chose UC Davis over Colorado State. The reasons were more personal than anything, as both schools are absolutely excellent in terms of the education they offer, rankings, etc. I love them both, though prior to being faced with the decision between them I always viewed CSU as my dream school. There were a number of reasons I made the decision I did, but one of the big selling points was the fact that CSU was the out-of-state option and would net me over $20,000 more a year in college debt - and that was just comparing the price of tuition alone (not including books and everything else)! So, UC Davis won for me, but I recommend both schools highly and you can get an excellent education at either. You might do a lot of research about both of them, though, beforehand if money and proximity to loved ones are not factors for you, as it will be a very tough decision. I might add that UCD has modified their curriculum approach as of this year (starting with my class), which may have some influence on your decision should you get into one or the other or both. Good luck!

Oh, and if you have any further questions on this topic, ask away! I have visted both campuses, met students there, and experienced the surrounding communities. I am by no means an expert on either school at this point, but I spent a lot of time thinking through the two options before I chose. Though I got into a third school, these were really the only two in the running for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
They both have big ego's. I don't know much about UC Davis but most of the people in my state graduated from CSU and they have had nothing but horrible things to say about it. They talk about how the professors and staff treated them poorly and it was a miserable experience. However, they still made it and graduated and they are vets now but my mentor who graduated from there told me he would not recommend CSU to anyone, even to his worst enemy.

Vettobe -- Coming to the boards just to bring in negativity without any support besides hearsay is childish and not appreciated. Please stop doing so.

Last edited:
These were 2 of the schools I considered and at the time I vascillated over which might be better. BUT, having read about the new curriculum changes at Davis, I think that given a choice I would now choose Davis over Colorado. I think Davis really got it right on that one, although I guess you never know until it is implemented next year.

They are both difficult to get into and expensive for OOS.

The other biggest difference to me is whether you prefer a milder climate or a nice snowy winter and access to winter sports.

The other biggest difference to me is whether you prefer a milder climate or a nice snowy winter and access to winter sports.

A surprisingly high number of my classmates went to Tahoe many/every weekend in winter to go skiing or snowboarding. I can't speak from personal experience, but there are many winter sport lovers at Davis who get their fix, despite the 2+ hour drive. So we get the best of both words ;)

They both have big ego's. I don't know much about UC Davis but most of the people in my state graduated from CSU and they have had nothing but horrible things to say about it. They talk about how the professors and staff treated them poorly and it was a miserable experience. However, they still made it and graduated and they are vets now but my mentor who graduated from there told me he would not recommend CSU to anyone, even to his worst enemy.

Maybe it just wasn't the right environment for them?

I know a phenomenal vet who completed her fourth year at CSU (she's a Ross grad), and I've never heard her knock it.

I started out at my father's alma mater for undergrad, and I hated it. The school was wrong for me, the location was wrong... it was a horrible choice. He loved it, belongs to all sorts of alumni organizations, frequently donates to various programs there, and wants to visit the campus any time he's in the area. Me? You couldn't pay me enough to go back!

Different strokes...

Umm, well ok then. That's not the impression I got at all and the students at CSU couldn't have been more encouraging. I'm sorry that you have some unpleasant accounts from a few people, but bear in mind that's ALL you have. I know vets who went to CSU that had only great things to say about it and the students there that I spoke with absolutely loved the education and opportunity they were receiving. So there you go. Those are my own anectodal accounts. I guess it's a mixed bag. Just do the research yourself, gracietiger. Only you know what is best for you.

I think most vet students have big egos :rolleyes:, so I wouldn't necessarily say that CSU or Davis is worse in that regard. Actually, from brief visits to different vet schools there were a couple of schools that I thought were far more snooty in the way they presented their programs.

Like all programs, professors are a hit or miss, since not every faculty member is there because they love to teach. That being said, a huge bulk of the first-year faculty at least were the most nurturing people I've ever met. In fact, I felt really babied compared to when I was in undergrad (not necessarily a good thing either, but they def don't treat their students horribly). At least in the two big classes first semester worth 7+ credits each, students who didn't do well during the first exam were personally contacted by the professors who sat down and talked to them about study skills and/or provided tutoring. I can't say I've had too much contact with the hospital staff in a clinical capacity, but I work at the hospital, and everyone has been very nice.

I definitely wouldn't tell anyone that they should DEF go to CSU given the chance... but that's because I don't think where you go to vet school really matters all that much. Go where it's the most financially feasible with as many of the characteristics you want in a school (location, research, special programs, etc...). I don't think there's really a school that I would say someone should NEVER go to due to the school itself. So really, it depends on what you value in your life and what special interests you have.

One thing I do have to say though, is that the weather in Fort Collins is phenomenal. Other than maybe a week of really terrible weather, I personally can't say that Cali weather is all that much better (and this is coming from someone who lived in the Bay Area for 5+ years). Ok... well if you're like from Arizona or something and can't stand it EVER going below zero, then that's somethings else I guess. But if you have a lot of furry critters, it's pretty amazing how you very rarely see fleas here.

I do think that an interview would have been a good thing... but that's about as much as I'm going to say about that.