CSU vs UC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dave4468

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am from California and I am going to transfer to a four year university from a community college. I was wondering, would it look better to go to a good four year like UCI but have a really stressful time trying to get good grades, or go to a Cal State (CSU Pomona) and relax a little and perhaps get a better GPA. If it doesn't matter at all, I would rather just take the easier route. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

UCI is easy. If you stress out about grades at UCI...then you have problems.

If you apply in-state for p-school, go to a UC. If you're applying out of state, go to a state school.

I took an honors program at a CSU over being just a regular UC student. There's nothing wrong with either one...just go where you think you'll be the most comfortable and perform the best. Ultimately if you're good, you're good. You won't be looked down upon if you decide to go to the CSU unless your grades are bad. Much of pharmacy admission is based on your experience and your knowledge of the field/desire to be a part of it, so I don't think it's a dealbreaker.

Members don't see this ad :)
CSU's are not really easier. UC's just have more competition because it's graded on a curve and you're competing with pre-med students. I would say go to a CSU because it's cheaper and pharmacy school is expensive. Also, professors at CSUs are more attentive because they are not just there for the research and your whole class isn't taught by TAs. UCs are good too, I just know a lot of people have the mentality that to be a health professional you HAVE to go to one.

so it does not matter at all?

Really? Wasn't your GPA at UCI less than 3.0? I wouldn't say that is easy. :smuggrin:

Haha, well considering my social (read: drinking) habits, I'm really surprised I even pulled off a 3.06 thank-you-very-much.

Well, this was before I ran into the $7/drink thing when I hit 21...that shut down that habit right there :laugh:

I think no matter what, school is going to be school, and you should go where you would enjoy yourself most (if money isnt so much of an option).

don't over stress yourself at a UC, either attend CSU or low end UC. You don't need to over stress yourself with competitive people. A 3.7 at UCI or UC-riverside looks FAR better than a 3.4 at UCLA for example.

don't over stress yourself at a UC, either attend CSU or low end UC. You don't need to over stress yourself with competitive people. A 3.7 at UCI or UC-riverside looks FAR better than a 3.4 at UCLA for example.

A low end UC? No such thing.