CSULA Post-Bacc 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the "positive review" call, but my status still says "incomplete". I'm starting to freak out. Anyone else in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad.

My status finally says "Admitted"! Does anyone know when we will get more information about housing for the summer academy and program info?

does anyone know if it's possible to only attend the 5 week summer academy and not the actual program throughout the year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I'm going to make a facebook group, but I need to add someone in order to create the group. Would someone be down to help me in making the fb group?

does anyone know if it's possible to only attend the 5 week summer academy and not the actual program throughout the year?

I think that may be taking advantage..lol..come on you can find other ways to get MCAT prep. I mean if you are that desperate you can do the 5 weeks then suddenly quit...

If status changed to admitted, does that mean I'm in the program????
I never received a "positive" phone call, and my app was incomplete until yesterday..

Congrats to all that have been accepted!

I just completed the program this year. This program has exceeded my expectations. I thought it was just some informal postbac where you take classes, but they actually had a LOT of resources for me. If anyone has any questions at all, let me know.

I just completed the program this year. This program has exceeded my expectations. I thought it was just some informal postbac where you take classes, but they actually had a LOT of resources for me. If anyone has any questions at all, let me know.

awesome, congratulations on finishing the program! does the program only last a year or does that depend on what you need? As far as housing, how many people do we room with?

Congratulations on getting in everyone. Besides the email from Alex and Elba , has anyone gotten the university acceptance email ? Has anyone picked up the books ? Has anyone applied for financial aid?

Members don't see this ad :)
awesome, congratulations on finishing the program! does the program only last a year or does that depend on what you need? As far as housing, how many people do we room with?

The program is designed to be completed in a year, and the majority apply to medical school the summer after completing the program. If you were accepted into the expanding opportunities program, you'll be in a 4 bedroom suite, with 2 people per room, 4 people per bathroom.

Congratulations on completing!

Just wondering, how many pre-health post bac people are in the class? Do advisors have time to help out everyone, or do they kind of just throw everyone in there...

Do you know if it's possible to matriculate into medical school the same year that you finish the program? I know some SMP's tell you to apply the same year and update medical schools with your performance in the classes.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks again for offering to answer them! :laugh:

@yessirmd

Are there any classes or professors that u recommend? Is it possible to juggle extracurriculars while taking 12-16 units too?

It is doable. I know a lot of people in my cohort that worked while taking 12 units. 16 may be much - you really don't want to be taking any chances. As far as professors go, I took Hoffman for some public health classes, Withers was really good for International Health.

hey guys,

congrats to those accepted. I just graduated this past May and found out about the program a little too late to apply this cycle. For those of you who completed the program, how successful are the people who complete the program in gaining acceptance to medical school? Is there linkage/preference given to CSULA students by UCLA/USC or any other CA schools?

How difficult was the class curriculum?

The classes are less competitive than UCLA or USC, and what's new to CSULA's postbacc program is that there is a linkage with WesternU's DO program. Dr. Nissen handles all of this and he has to recommend you when you apply. The linkage program allows post bacc students to matriculate the same year of completing the post bacc program so it's great for students who KNOW they want to pursue a DO degree.

During what month do students usually apply to Western through the linkage program? Is it pretty much an automatic acceptance?

Application is done in January of the matriculating year, and NOTHING is guaranteed. You have to fulfill the requirements (which are more lenient than regular applicants) and Dr. Nissen has to feel that you're a strong applicant to recommend you.

How competitive is it to get into the program? I'd ideally love to attend the program in fall 2014 but I'm worried my stats might not be high enough. My overall GPA is a 3.4 and my science GPA is a 3.1. I graduated from a top 25 university, but not sure if that holds any weight at all. I do have very good letters of recommendation. Do you also have to be an URM to attend? Thanks guys!

How competitive is it to get into the program? I'd ideally love to attend the program in fall 2014 but I'm worried my stats might not be high enough. My overall GPA is a 3.4 and my science GPA is a 3.1. I graduated from a top 25 university, but not sure if that holds any weight at all. I do have very good letters of recommendation. Do you also have to be an URM to attend? Thanks guys!

No, you dont have to be URM

Hi all! Anyone applying for fall 2014 admission?

Also, the application online says two letters of recommendation directly from the originator. Does this mean the letters have to be sent to their address by the recommenders or included in the mailed supplemental application?

If you are accepted to this program, how does housing work? Are you eligible to live on campus?

I am finishing up the post bacc now and perhaps I can chime in.
From what I heard, the letter of recommendation and personal statement is very important component to the acceptance to the program. As many know, post baccs are for students with low GPA. So naturally, they don't expect you to have stellar grades, you are there to improve your grades. If anything, I think the upward trend of GPA will help more or less. But try to get some great letters and know clearly why you need to csula postbacc program.

There are two camps in the program. 1)the ones that are in PPOHA 2)the ones that aren't. PPOHA gives you the housing + MCAT prep course + quarterly stipend of $500 (total $2000). Although not official, I heard from someone in the program that without the PPOHA, you aren't able to use the linkage to the WesternU D.O. school.

If you are in the PPOHA, you will be invited to a luncheon where you have some nice lunch and meet the alumni of the program as well as meet all your PPOHA colleagues. I heard from this year, about ~120 applied, ~20 got into PPOHA, ~10 got into the normal program. After the luncheon, you move into the housing. You will have one roommate in a 8 people suite. The housing peeps are rude, but decent place to cave yourself into to study.

MCAT course: it's INTENSE. you are given ~5 weeks of Princeton Review course running from 8am to 5pm. Then, you can go to the library or back to the dorms and study until 12am. You will be studying, sleeping, studying, sleeping until you drop dead. Did I mention that there's weakly mcat mock exams? yea, so your gonna jump in to the program and your summer is gone.

The nonPPOHA on the other hand doesn't go through the summer mcat course. Instead, they join in the fall taking classes. There is also mandatory workshop for the PPOHA. Workshops are pretty useful, you get to meet some cool speakers and not so good speakers. But overall, it gives you time to learn about many things and network with the speakers since the workshop is small and only about ~20 - 30 people show up.

Hmmm what did I miss... I think you can also apply for the housing there but all of us commuted from other places. There is pretty good train/bus system going to the school so couple of us uses that. Otherwise, this is a commuter school for most. BTW, gene manipulation course was probably the toughest course I've taken at csula. other post bacc level classes are not easy either. Don't expect to walk into the school and think you'll walk out unscratched because it's a "state university." 4.0? eh maybe some did it. 3.9 doable. 3.7 yup yup, 3.5 definitely possible. I met some people here that were smart while others less prepared. But everyone finished the program and seems satisfied. Only one person dropped out because that person decided that postbacc was unnecessary. feel free to shot up some Q's perhaps we can answer some. I believe laughinggas and goldenbear is the current students right now. i think i know who they are, but kind of awkward if i ask them in person lol

Reactions: 1 users
woah scratch what i said about the summer mcat, its 8 wks and the stipend is now $4000. wow... you guys are lucky, the program seems to become more and more improved :D

this guy... no wonder you got into dental school

hey thanks a lot! I really appreciate it :) I'm not PPOHA so I can't do the mcat prep... oh well!

In your opinion is the csula postbac more for dental school applicants? I'm shooting for med school (allo) and the primary reason I'm looking at this program is the price and proximity to my home haha.

hey thanks a lot! I really appreciate it :) I'm not PPOHA so I can't do the mcat prep... oh well!

In your opinion is the csula postbac more for dental school applicants? I'm shooting for med school (allo) and the primary reason I'm looking at this program is the price and proximity to my home haha.

This year we had one pre-dental, that laughinggas dude (he got in) and one pre-pharm. Rest were pre-med. so I was referring to premed the whole time :p
program is pretty good. alex is really chill, elba is a little more stricter. csula is not a bad choice for the price. just make sure you have the prereq classes ready like cell bio and genetic, otherwise, you won't be able to take 400 lvl classes (which u need for postbacc cert.)

you can also finish postbacc in 2 quarters if u desire by completing 24 units by the winter quarter. I heard students that linked to westernu did that in the past

O by the way, you can be PPOHA if you're economically disadvantaged student (don't need to be Hispanic). For example, I'm asian and I was part of PPOHA

I just got a call to offer me a position in the PPOHA program! Can anyone who is/was in the program offer any good advice with regards to what to expect, classes to take, or anything else you feel would be helpful? Thanks!

I just got a call to offer me a position in the PPOHA program! Can anyone who is/was in the program offer any good advice with regards to what to expect, classes to take, or anything else you feel would be helpful? Thanks!

Stipend comes in four parts. End of each quarter starting summer. Ur required to go to all of seminar and do symposium. You'll randomly see you postbacc colleagues on campus so you shouldn't make enemies. Usually, postbacc sets the curve so competition will be friendly since they're ur friends. Apply to linkage, otherwise u might regret.

Stipend comes in four parts. End of each quarter starting summer. Ur required to go to all of seminar and do symposium. You'll randomly see you postbacc colleagues on campus so you shouldn't make enemies. Usually, postbacc sets the curve so competition will be friendly since they're ur friends. Apply to linkage, otherwise u might regret.
Thanks for all the info!

Has anyone heard back yet for the regular csula program? (Not the PPOHA I think it's called)

My application status is still incomplete even though everything is sent in. I'm getting nervous cause I haven't heard any updates.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I recently got accepted into this post-bacc program. I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with me. I'm still on the fence about whether or not to accept the admissions offer. What resources do they have to students in the program (ie. faculty mentoring, lab experiences, etc). Thank you!

I just got a call about a positive review today and am hoping to get more information on the program as well. I understand the program is "informal" and was wondering how it differs from a "formal" pre-health postbacc, such as the one offered at csueb.

Thanks!!

Hello! I recently got accepted into this post-bacc program. I was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with me. I'm still on the fence about whether or not to accept the admissions offer. What resources do they have to students in the program (ie. faculty mentoring, lab experiences, etc). Thank you!

Did u get into option 1 or 2? When I was doing post bacc at csula, the mock interviews and mock mmi helped me tremendously during the application cycle. They also had Princeton review MCAT prep during the summer with stipend, but that may have changed. The professors and mentors are helpful as long as you are willing. The classes were challenging but 4.0 is doable since ur competitors will be undergrads (post baccs usually sets the curve). I'm not sure about research. They also have workshops really often, almost once per month. It's at those workshops where you can build networks with the speaker to help your future.

I just got a call about a positive review today and am hoping to get more information on the program as well. I understand the program is "informal" and was wondering how it differs from a "formal" pre-health postbacc, such as the one offered at csueb.

Thanks!!
What do you mean informal? can you please fill me in? it seems like much changed compared to 2 years ago

Did u get into option 1 or 2? When I was doing post bacc at csula, the mock interviews and mock mmi helped me tremendously during the application cycle. They also had Princeton review MCAT prep during the summer with stipend, but that may have changed. The professors and mentors are helpful as long as you are willing. The classes were challenging but 4.0 is doable since ur competitors will be undergrads (post baccs usually sets the curve). I'm not sure about research. They also have workshops really often, almost once per month. It's at those workshops where you can build networks with the speaker to help your future.
I applied to Option 1: the record enhancer. Thank you for your insight! I really appreciate it. Do you have any advice for me moving forward?

I applied to Option 1: the record enhancer. Thank you for your insight! I really appreciate it. Do you have any advice for me moving forward?
Congrats on your new continuing journey. The classes in csula aren't going to be a walk in the park. Be prepared to work hard. Aim for 4.0 even if it sounds like fairy tail. Animal physio was tough but worth taking because it's good preview to med school!

This is how I studied and I only had 1 A-. Print out the powerpoint lecture slides (4 slides per page; landscape). Go to every class, take your cellphone and put it in the front desk where the prof is talking and record every lecture. After lecture, go to library and re-listen and fill in the gaps of your notes. Write any questions that came up while studying and look it up yourself or go to office hour. I didn't buy any books, lectures were usually enough. After completing the notes, prof sometimes puts and emphasis that some will be in exam (put a star next to those). Reread notes over and over and over until you burn it in your head. Draw pathways over and over until you can draw them in your dreams. Don't forget to take your cellphone after lecture.

Is there a luncheon for you to go and chat with the most recent alumni regarding their favorite/least classes? their opinions are gold bc they navigated through the most recent curriculum and their changes. pm me if you don't know anyone from last year (i know one and can connect you guys).

PS: don't forget that the linkage to westernu app is in the winter. therefore, your grades in the beginning of the year is imperative! don't slack off.

@lmcdavidkim A-? why not A? just messing with you.
Take classes with Michael Chen, Katrina Yamazaki. Atefi was new when I took classes with him, so he wasn't good, but he adjusted throughout the term when students were complaining.
Btw Dr. Chen almost never smiles, so don't get butt hurt by the way he speaks. He is one of the good lecturers that I had so far.