CT Match Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_Surgeon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The match for CT was yesterday...does anyone have any info? The NRMP site has nothing yet. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

i heard only 1 person applied for the match this year. so he's got an excellent shot at matching.

For any that are interested the stats were posted this AM on the NRMP website.
http://www.nrmp.org/fellow/match_name/thoracic/stats.html

I know that everyone talks about that the number of positions should be reduced, but many PDs are reluctant to lose their residents to handle the work in the trenches. With only 2/3 of the programs filling is this not in a way reducing the number of positions indirectly? I have read that by 2010 50% of the current surgeons will be retiring. I understand that the demand for CT surgeons will be less due to interventional cardiology, meds, etc but with the recent trend of less and less programs filling each year will there be a shortage of CT surgeons down the road? Maybe that is just an optimistic thought.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO_Surgeon said:
For any that are interested the stats were posted this AM on the NRMP website.
http://www.nrmp.org/fellow/match_name/thoracic/stats.html

I know that everyone talks about that the number of positions should be reduced, but many PDs are reluctant to lose their residents to handle the work in the trenches. With only 2/3 of the programs filling is this not in a way reducing the number of positions indirectly? I have read that by 2010 50% of the current surgeons will be retiring. I understand that the demand for CT surgeons will be less due to interventional cardiology, meds, etc but with the recent trend of less and less programs filling each year will there be a shortage of CT surgeons down the road? Maybe that is just an optimistic thought.

at least you don't have to worry about getting a spot....

No, you just have to worry about finding a job when you finish. Check out the forums on the cardiac board (I think it's something like ctsnet). The number of guys who struggle to get one job offer is frightening.

but you'll still be a cardiac surgeon...an unemployed cardiac surgeon taking call for general surgery...but hey still a cardiac surgeon. ;)

god, that would suck. i know guys that spent 2 or 3 years in the lab in prep for a CT spot...what the hell is happening to surgery?

xNS

The best thing about being a cardiac surgeon is saying your a cardiac surgeon.

This has probably been discussed several times as well, but what are fresh graduates straight out of fellowship making these days? Assuming that one can find a job in private practice setting what is the average salary? I know that in years past CT surgeons were paid like rock stars but have heard that reimbursement and salaries have dropped drastically within the last 5 years or so.

navysurgeon said:
god, that would suck. i know guys that spent 2 or 3 years in the lab in prep for a CT spot...what the hell is happening to surgery?

xNS

that was before, you no longer need to pad your resume with research mumbojumbo except maybe for the top programs.

DO_Surgeon said:
This has probably been discussed several times as well, but what are fresh graduates straight out of fellowship making these days? Assuming that one can find a job in private practice setting what is the average salary? I know that in years past CT surgeons were paid like rock stars but have heard that reimbursement and salaries have dropped drastically within the last 5 years or so.

I've heard of offers as low as $80K. No, that's not a typo. If you're lucky enough to get a job, it'll probably fall in the 120-250K range. The decreasing salaries are forcing many current CT surgeons to delay retirement and work well into their 70's.