CTP "Critical Error"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newton244

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took a CTP exam this morning. I feel pretty confident overall, but a BIG mistake I made was for my second case, the pt had two missing teeth (UL&LR). I did all the tx planning correct with existing teeth, but I totally blanked out and forgot to restore those two missing teeth. Thankfully(?), restoring missing teeth was not pt's chief concern. Will that count as a critical error? do I have to retake it?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are lucky the missing teeth were wisdom teeth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Critical error is when you killed your patient - gave him wrong medication or didn't consult a GP. You will be OK

In ctp in findings they told me -#7 vital test positive and no pathology,,,,, when I checked there was no radiolucency and no caries.... but I dnt know why I did rct,,,,, it’s an overtreatment. Is it a failing error.

In ctp in findings they told me -#7 vital test positive and no pathology,,,,, when I checked there was no radiolucency and no caries.... but I dnt know why I did rct,,,,, it’s an overtreatment. Is it a failing error.
Not necessarily. It could be IP

Not necessarily. It could be IP
The tooth looked totally fine to me,,,, no caries, no radiolucency, pdl normal, no pain .... I just treated coz they specifically mentioned in the findings about pulp test vital .... I thought if they mentioned I need to do some Treatment.

Last edited:
The tooth looked totally fine to me,,,, no caries, no radiolucency, pdl normal, no pain .... I just treated coz they specifically mentioned in the findings about pulp test vital .... I thought if they mentioned I need to do some Treatment.
Stay hopeful. It is hard to judge not knowing exact wording. I understood, that "positive" meant prolonged painful reaction. What did you mean?

Stay hopeful. It is hard to judge not knowing exact wording. I understood, that "positive" meant prolonged painful reaction. What did you mean?
In the clinical findings it was written number #7 pulp test vital, no pathology.

but when I checked the radiographs and clinical picture it was normal.... but did rct for that thinking if it’s mentioned in the clinical finding it should be treated. Now I am worried if I did overtreatment.

In the clinical findings it was written number #7 pulp test vital, no pathology.

but when I checked the radiographs and clinical picture it was normal.... but did rct for that thinking if it’s mentioned in the clinical finding it should be treated. Now I am worried if I did overtreatment.
Unfortunately you made a critical error. Vital tooth is normal and does not need treatment
Its OK. You can retake, it doesn't cost much as far as I remember

Unfortunately you made a critical error. Vital tooth is normal and does not need treatment
Its OK. You can retake, it doesn't cost much as far as I remember
May be it’s just deduction in Marks as overtreatment, is there any chance to pass

May be it’s just deduction in Marks as overtreatment, is there any chance to pass
Unfortunately I don't remember nuances of grading in this exam, but unnecessary RCT is a big mistake. You may still pass

I also took the ctp and I made a mistake when I write the Rx....I wrote the rx out for the wrong amount of days. Is this considered a critical error? Everything else was correct including dosage, and the name of the drug but I prescribed for 4 days instead of 7.

I also took the ctp and I made a mistake when I write the Rx....I wrote the rx out for the wrong amount of days. Is this considered a critical error? Everything else was correct including dosage, and the name of the drug but I prescribed for 4 days instead of 7.
I did something similar on my CTP and it didn’t count as a critical error. I think I used the incorrect mg for clindamycin I prescribed less than recommended. As long as you don’t grossly overdose them or prescribe something they’re allergic to it should be fine.

I did something similar on my CTP and it didn’t count as a critical error. I think I used the incorrect mg for clindamycin I prescribed less than recommended. As long as you don’t grossly overdose them or prescribe something they’re allergic to it should be fine.
Thank you for replying. I feel so much better. Thought I failed it!