CU Postbacc vs. Hunter College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H0ldenCaulfield

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please pardon the long post...

I'm at a crossroads; currently I am a first year postbacc at Columbia (I have taken Calc, currently taking Chem), who also happens to work full-time (and live about an hour and half outside of the City). The demands of both are killing me. My quality of work has slipped in both regards and I'm realistically in danger of seriously damaging my GPA - especially regarding future classes and anticipation of work intensifying.

Something obviously needs to change, and I'm thinking it might have to be the CU postbacc program. The intensity of the academics and structure of the program (i.e. no summer classes, have to take Orgo and Bio at the same time) do not mesh well with the fact that I work full-time and live far away. In searching for options, I came across Hunter's program and it seems to offer the kind of flexibility I'm looking for (as well as a unique linkage option with Cornell).

Essentially, I would love to get some feedback and other opinions about the virtues of switching from CU to Hunter. Aside from the obvious differences (price, prestige, etc.) can anyone speak from experience regarding a switch of this kind? Additionally, does anyone know the success for entrance in to med school and/or a list of schools that Hunter post-baccs have attended (this would be very helpful/encouraging; I'm surprised Hunter doesn't have a list like this posted on their site).

My main concern, of course, is that I will not have a wide range of choice regarding med schools to which I can apply (obviously predicated by how well I do academically). How much will it really matter if my core requirements are completed at Hunter vs. Columbia?

--
Some info about me:

Attended a competitive undergraduate college - majored in Clinical Psychology and Philosophy - 3.5 GPA

Currently considering a one-year MPH or MS at Columbia

Currently a psychiatric and neuroscience researcher at Columbia - daily, in-depth clinical experience (running experiments, clinical ratings/evaluations, neuropsychological testing, phlebotomy, etc.), will have opportunities to publish research, be on posters, etc.

Volunteered in a rural medical clinical in Africa for two-weeks - gave vaccinations, compiled demographic data, screened patients, etc.

Currently a mentor for an organization that represents underprivileged or underrepresented New York City area students

Published illustrator

Plans to expand volunteer work

Thank you for suffering through this obnoxiously long post. Any advice, suggestions, (commiseration) would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there should be any problem with switching from CU to Hunter. Hunter's post-bacc program is pretty well respected. Just make sure you're not trading one poison for another. I don't know anything about Hunter but I wouldn't necessarily assume it's going to get any easier. (Hunter post-baccs? comments?)
I'd also be prepared to field some questions during interviews about why you switched. The flexibility issue seems like a good answer to me. Just make sure you don't tank your remaining courses at CU. Otherwise, you leave yourself vulnerable to the suspicion that you switched because couldn't handle the academic rigor.

Your ECs look like they're in great shape.

Good luck.

I don't think there should be any problem with switching from CU to Hunter. Hunter's post-bacc program is pretty well respected. Just make sure you're not trading one poison for another. I don't know anything about Hunter but I wouldn't necessarily assume it's going to get any easier. (Hunter post-baccs? comments?)
I'd also be prepared to field some questions during interviews about why you switched. The flexibility issue seems like a good answer to me. Just make sure you don't tank your remaining courses at CU. Otherwise, you leave yourself vulnerable to the suspicion that you switched because couldn't handle the academic rigor.

Your ECs look like they're in great shape.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice and input. Other than the flexibility reason for switching, I would also emphasize the cost of the CU courses and the linkage with Cornell - and, hopefully, somewhat less coursework.