Cube Counting Question Example

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hq7878

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only counting 5 cubes with 2 sides showing.
Can someone please help?
Thanks.
ser6no.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

I have marked the cubes with two sides for you. One of the cubes is hidden from this view and is located just right under the cube with a green dot. Hope it helps!

Attachments

• ser6no.jpg
    ser6no.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What about this one?
Q17.png

Ari said in the answer there are 17 cubes... I'm counting 18. Answer says (# of cubes/faces showing) 1x1, 2x2, 7x3, 5x4, and 2x5's. I'm counting 18 cubes, with 1x2, 2x2, 9x3, 3x4, and 2x5. This is # 64 from PAT exam 4.

What about this one?
Q17.png

Ari said in the answer there are 17 cubes... I'm counting 18. Answer says (# of cubes/faces showing) 1x1, 2x2, 7x3, 5x4, and 2x5's. I'm counting 18 cubes, with 1x2, 2x2, 9x3, 3x4, and 2x5. This is # 64 from PAT exam 4.
Ayy I'm only counting 17. There is no cube behind that tower of 5 cubes if that's what you're counting.

Members don't see this ad :)
There would have to be, right? If behind the 5 stack, there are cubes to the right and left, wouldn't there have to be a cube there so as to continue the pattern?

I'm see 17. Try to count the bottom row, then the next higher row etc...keep it organized. You'll see 17

There would have to be, right? If behind the 5 stack, there are cubes to the right and left, wouldn't there have to be a cube there so as to continue the pattern?
No, there is no such rule as 'continuing the pattern'. However, there is a rule that says 'if you can't see it, don't assume it's there.' We can see the cube on the left, we can see the cube on the right. But because we can't see the middle, we default to NO cube there.