Status
Pre-Dental

For the figure above, I get the following numbers:

1 side: 4
2 sides: 5
3 sides: 3
4 sides: 4
5 sides: 1

However, according to Bootcamp, there should be 3 1-sided cubes and 4 3-sides cubes. I think the problem cube is the one one the second column to the right (shown with an arrow in attachment). Do you have to assume it's a 3-sided cube?

Attachments

Graffix

2+ Year Member
May 12, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
I got the correct answer. The first floor cube that you're pointing to is a 1side and the 2nd floor cube you're pointing to is 2side. I am not sure which cube you assume is a 3side?

OP
BioForLife

BioForLife

2+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
The only way I can get 4 3-sided cubes is to assume the cube I'm pointing to is 3-sided. Otherwise, I get 4 1-sided cubes and 3 3-sided cubes. The only thing I can think of is that you have to assume continuity in the back since there's a cube sticking out at the upper left. I attached a pic of all the cubes I think have 3 sides.

Attachments

Jan 9, 2015
The cube under the one with an arrow pointing has only 1 side painted. Those with red dots are 3 side painted.

Attachments

OP
BioForLife

BioForLife

2+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
The cube under the one with an arrow pointing has only 1 side painted. Those with red dots are 3 side painted.
I got it now! I don't know why I couldn't see that there were two 3-sided cubes stacked on top of each other on the left side. The cube on top by the arrow looks further back than it really is. Thanks alot!

Reactions: Graffix
OP
BioForLife

BioForLife

2+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2014
Status
Pre-Dental
Oh! You forgot the the cube on the left side under the single orange cube you painted! That one is also 3 sides.
Yeah, that's the one I didn't see until now. The cubes are positioned in a way to make the right side look like it goes further back than it actually does. I'll have to be more careful about that. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Graffix
A

arkenstone

This isn't really your question but in case it's not already obvious, I'll just say... it's surprisingly easy to memorize the different possible face-shapes that each number could appear as... that is, there's only one shape that a 5-sided cube could take, two shapes that a 4 sided one could take (four in a continuous wrap or something resembling a motorcycle helmet), two shapes that a 3-sided could take (a c-shaped wrap or three faces touching a corner), two for a 2-sided (two faces opposite or something resembling an open book), and one for a 1-sided. That's only 8 shapes to remember on sight. I struggled with cube counting until I just drew them out like that. The L's method also helped.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/cube-counting-method.806799/