cultural anthropology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medical22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken cultural anthropology? What did you think of the course? How did this course benefit you as a pre-med student (if it did)?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like an interview question. I took the course, can't say it necessarily helped me as a premed. I heard some interviewers may pick out a course like this from your transcript and and ask the same question you did.

I didn't know that interviewers do that. I was just asking because I need to fulfill a requirement in my college so I was thinking of taking that course next semster. Just wanted to know what others thought of it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
i know this doesn't help much, but cultural anthropology is highly recommended for entrance into PA programs, so perhaps the thinking for med school is along the same lines...

I'd be in trouble if someone asked me about that class. I took it my first year of college (1992). The only thing I remember about it was watching a movie where some white anthropologists shot a pig in front of some native people to scare them. I also think I made a geneology chart.

Those of you who've been out of school for a while, are you planning on going over stuff like this?

I'm in it right now. I find it very interesting because I learn about cultures from a different perspective. The skill of being able to step back and observe something or a culture without making judgement is valuable in my opinion. Ethnography is just one of the many elements to cultural anthropology. The class, so far, has been enlightening to say the least. If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

If your school offers a medical anthropology course you may want to consider this.my undergrad major at u.c. santa cruz was medical anthropology and I have found that studying other medical systems has helped me to understand the medical/health beliefs of patients from other backgrounds. this can help you to create a care plan that patients feel ok about following.hope that helps-
emed p.a. :)

I took cultural anthropology my senior year and I really liked it. I thought it was extremely interesting to learn about other cultures, and the history of religions and taboos. I'm not sure exactly how it applies to medicine, but I think it's always a good idea to have an understanding of civilization and culture.

Medical anthropology sounds cool too, but I've never heard of it before.

I took cultural anthro and loved it. But this all depends on the prof. Ask people around your campus, maybe try anthro majors. They can be a better resource since they attend the same school and classes. Hope this helps...