Cultural Diversity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sara25

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was watching National Geographic channel the other day, and I saw the most fascinating episode on an Indian dish.

I immediately thought of all the Indian participants on this site and wanted to get your insight on this dish.

As far as I could remember, the name of the dish was "goodi pie" or at least that's what it sounded like. Have any of you guys tasted this? From what the program was saying, this is a dish that used to be more common in the Indian cuisine in the past, but not so much now.

I thought it was very fascinating because during the program, the butchers would not say that they had it.....because there were cameras around, and also for the fact that it's not exactly legal...right? Basically, they would take the fetus of an animal (sheep??) and cook it.

I really enjoyed the show. It's interesting that some cultures are so tolerant of dishes that other cultures may think to be absolutely horrid.

I, myself, am very open to trying different things. I have tried things that my friends thought to be absolutely disgusting..like tongues, all different parts of the sheep's head (I won't mention specifics as to not disgust our lighstomached readers).

Anyway, I would totally appreciate any feedback. Please let me know if any of you know any more about this.

p.s. I also saw a program where in China, they prepared cow's testicles and served it...yummmy.....:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

nondentist,

I think that by posting that, you have proved to everyone that you are indeed the DUMB one posting on this site.

Take your rudeness and hit the road. Your childish antics are not welcomed here.

Blah blah blah blah.....wop wop wop wop.........Go to bed nondentist. You obviously are not very well rounded...this program was indeed filmed within the past 5 years....like I said this was a dish that has been around for a long time....but not really prepared anymore...that's exactly why they brought it to our attention...to teach ignorant people like yourself a little about your culture.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to leave this thread here for a while.
If you don't have everything reasonable to contribute to this thread then don't post at all.

nondentist,

wake up and smell the coffee...the comment posted by Henna was meant for YOU...

Originally posted by sara25
nondentist,

wake up and smell the coffee...the comment posted by Henna was meant for YOU...

:laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by nondentist
there is nothing to contribute to this thread. this forum is for discussng issues realted to international dentists and this is not a "readers digest" to teach cultural things.
if you still beleive you are right, you cannot move things like "for sale" and other non-related issues to other forums. anyone can post any crap on this forum.

I've already replied to this in your PM but since you posted here I'll reiterate it.
There are many more topics that are not pertaining to dentistry that I didnt move. I think certain topics are more accepted and understood by the international folks here.
If this topic doesnt pick up here then i'll move it.

i agree with henna

but on the other hand to read the beginning if this thread made my stomach turn

no wonder people still don't eat such crap

:rolleyes: :laugh: :D :smuggrin:

lets keep cretins topics out of these threads.....shall we !!!!

lasjy

well sara if you are a indian and non vegetarian, and like to post something like this here, I think I can go ahead with vegetarian dishes right! DO YOU THINK PEOPLE HERE ARE FREE LIKE YOU? and they have time to waste on these threads?

this is disgusting, if being a indian cannot notice what culture they have. One more thing I think you have very less knowledge of indian culture.

I really think that I gave some of you too much credit. You are truly close-minded ( those that are posting their whining here). FYI: I am not Indian....hence the post on this thread. If you guys can't face what has and might be still going on in your own country...i truly feel sorry for you. There is absolutely nothing disgusting about the post here....some of your countrymen find it a delicacy. It is interesting to find out about things about other cultures and have people who are from that part of the region give you the input.
I appreciate those PMs that I got explaining the matter and what goes on in India. For those of you who may find it disgusting....maybe you should look into it and become a little educated more than running your mouth off and wasting energy on futile posts here.

hey sara no likes to hear someone beliitle their country.i dont know anything about the original topic that was discussed,for all my 22 years of living in india i have never even seen a sheep anywhere let alone eating their foeteus,maybe its true or maybe not ,its not fair to call indians close minded and so on.....i hope the thread ends here

Originally posted by sara25
.... I have tried things that my friends thought to be absolutely disgusting..like tongues, ........
p.s. I also saw a program where in China, they prepared cow's testicles and served it...yummmy.....:eek:

I'm not from China, rather from the Caribbean, but in my country I do have seen dishes made of cow's tongue and cow's testicles and some other weird things. People eat it without disguse and openly (the ones that do eat, not everyone does). No one is offended by it.

Green emerald..

My intentions never were to belittle anybody or any country..in specific...India. I wrote about a show that I had seen filmed in India making a specific dish and thought since there were so many Indians on this website, that maybe some of them were familiar or had heard of similar things. If anything at all, it more out of curiosity than anything else.....

I think that some people took it the wrong way...which was very surprising to me. I did realize later, by someone's private message to me, that some regions of the country did not consume any meat or cow meat in specific. That maybe why some people were so offended. By either way, it was not necessary for them to be so rude about it. They could have simply explained their point of view.

As you can see, there are many people who have experienced similar situations in other countries. It's nice to learn about other cultures....that was the main point of this thread. Not meant to offense anyone....or any country...or any way of life.

So there it is.....now you can see that some people made a big deal out of absolutely nothing at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont care if you call me a dumb. but please stop posting crap like that. what they show on discovery is a **** ,as if we indians are living in a stone age. This is not our culture. There are lot of good things in our culture, if you want to discuss.
we dont do and we dont enjoy such dishes. stop posting disgusting things and stick to main intenstion of this forum- "international dental ". out there, lot of forums to post things like that.
you could simply tell here please this is considered against our culture in india and make here understand why its ,believe me it works and since we are all here professional and i assume we are and you are educated people so we have to understand the cultural diversity all over the world and behave politely instead of being so rude in vague way.

Guys !!!!! how about a break ????

With ALL respect to ALL religions,cultures & believes ,I do compleatly understand why some of my Indian fellows responded with anger here, but guys ...!!!!! can we just give the lady a small space to breath ???? instead of just upbraiding her without explaining cultural diversities to her??

I was watching National Geographic channel the other day, and I saw the most fascinating episode on an Indian dish

I immediately thought of all the Indian participants on this site and wanted to get your insight on this dish.

From what the program was saying, this is a dish that used to be more common in the Indian cuisine in the past, but not so much now.

She just wanted to start her thread with new idia ......thats it .And she mentioned that this is a DOCUMENTARY on TV & wanted to take your insights on it .

It's interesting that some cultures are so tolerant of dishes that other cultures may think to be absolutely horrid.

I will give more examples ;

-In some parts of the WORLD (I will not specify ,so no one gets offended ) people eat fish ALIVE.............others consider this UNHUMAN.

-In some parts of the WORLD people eat snails with so much appitite....................others consider this disgusting.

-In ............................of the WORLD people eat CATS & DOGS........others consider this as agaist animal's rights .

-In ...........................of the WORLD people eat RATS..............while others set trapps to get rid of them .

-In ..........................of the WORLED people eat INSECTS..........while others smash them .

I would totally appreciate any feedback. Please let me know if any of you know any more about this.

I think that some people took it the wrong way...which was very surprising to me. I did realize later, by someone's private message to me, that some regions of the country did not consume any meat or cow meat in specific. That maybe why some people were so offended. By either way, it was not necessary for them to be so rude about it. They could have simply explained their point of view.

She innocently wanted to get some feedbacks when she started the thread, without knowing that the cow is considered holy in some parts of the world . I guess, you guys could simply PMed her or explained it to her " BEFOR " starting this fight .

My point :

Guys ,if we as EDUCATED people can't understand each others ..!!!can you tell me how are we gonna understand our future patients who might be illiterate ,or from different ethnicity,religions,habites..........etc ?????.

Just a thought ,that I wanted to share .

sam the peace maker.......well done....:clap: :clap: :clap:

Guys ,if we as EDUCATED people can't understand each others ..!!!can you tell me how are we gonna understand our future patients who might be illiterate ,or from different ethnicity,religion,habites..........etc ?????. [/B][/QUOTE]

:clap: :clap: Well said Sam!

We must respect other people's opinions and interests. If we are not interested in those things, then we can keep quiet. If you disagree, then you can voice it politely keeping in mind the other persons freedom of expression. Getting angry or insulting achieves absolutely nothing.

Most Indians may not eat sheeps fetus, but we are definitely one of the most tolerant of societies. That is why we are such a diverse culture and nation. Just keep that in mind!

Also, all hindus are not vegetarians. I am a hindu and I am a non vegetarian and I enjoy it. I definitely dont think that eating meat is against HINDU CULTURE or INDIAN CULTURE. Who is Indian? I am! and therefore my culture is as much Indian as anyone else's.

Anyway I agree that this thread is not pertinent to the forum, but i couldnt resist saying all this after looking at what my fellow Indians said about the issue. I think the violent reaction to sara25 was uncalled for and very "UnIndian" if i may say so.

Originally posted by mrinalini
I think the violent reaction to sara25 was uncalled for and very "UnIndian" if i may say so.

I so very much agree with you!
It's embarassing....!!!

hey guys,
i don't think we shud be fighting over these issues. may be the girl doesnt know anything about indian culture when she wrote it. i think we sould not take it that seriously.
i am an indain too & i love my culture. in india cow is considered sacred by many of us. but how would she know . i dont think she would have been there.

i guess this forum is to share ideas not arguments

THE ONLY THING I WOULD LIKE TO ADD HERE IS INDIA WILL BE EMERGING AS A SUPER POWER IN COMING YRS ALONG WITH THREE OTHER COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD, SO DON'T JUST SEE DISCOVER BUT OTHER CHANNELS TOO LIKE MSNBC;)

Well said, Sam and Mrinalini..

It was disappointing to see a thread based on an innocent query turn into a flame war... This is one forum where people are usually civil and helpful, so the reactions were totally out of character and uncalled for.

As for media misrepresentation.. If I were to hear something about a culture I knew very little about, from a reputed source like National Geographic, I'd probably believe it! :rolleyes:

As for your original question on the average Indian's views on "goodi pie', Sara, looks like you got your answer now! :p

Tasha

BTW, I LOVE INDIAN FOOD, I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IF ANY OF THE FEMALE MEMBERS OVER HERE HAS THE RECEIPE OF THE INDIAN CHICKEN WITH RICE..ITHE YELLOW ONE..ALSO ANY OTHER RECEIPES :love: :love:
NOT THE CURRY CHICKEN ..ANOTHER ONE

gsmm,i think u want the recipe for briyani....well maybe someone can help you with that:p

WOW!

I never thought that this thread would cause so much controversy. Boy oh boy!

As for Nondentist, I never asked for anyone to share recipes about that dish or describe how it tasted once consumed. All I was interested in was if anyone had heard of it. This is no way insinuated that all Indians absolutely LOVE that dish or that that's all they eat. I think that you just got offended and ran off with it. Anyway, there are plenty of dishes in my country which I have never heard of, probably would imagine, or would want to eat. If someone would come bring it up....I would be more than happy to look into it and learn more about it before considering it as a personal attack on myself and everyone who is from there.

Nontheless, I am glad to see that there are plenty of nice helpful people on this site who greacefully explained the situation. I thank those for that.

Take care guys,
Sara

Originally posted by newyorker
Who said indians dont eat humanbeings? :mad: :mad:

Newyorker :

BTW. Do you know by any chance if I can find a chick like the one in the pic at philly????.

Attennnnnntion everyone...........Attennnnnntion please...

" CORRECTION "

I changed my mined,I allready wrote in my thread(and angels may come down to earth ) this quote

" a way to reach a man's heart is through his STOMACH " .Wellllll,

the new quote is updated & valied as of the bigining of23ed/March

" a way to reach a man's heart is through his STOMACH OR ..... the ChicK in the PiC "

Expiery date ?? .... do not think there is one :D .

P.S : delivary is NOT obligatory , I'can come & get the DISH by myself .:love:

Attennnn..tion #2 ...One more thing ;

I AM READY TO GO TO JAIL FOR THIS DISH .

LOL at Sam....

You will one day find a wonderful woman who will make you delicious food and exceed all your fantasies.

Too bad all my Syrian co-workers are either married or male.

But alas...one day....:love: will come along....

.... and start a new thread discussing how to cook humans
sorry couldn't stop laughing:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey Henna I have always seen New yorkers post such quotes for you...has he met you:confused:
I guess you must be very pretty:)
take care

Originally posted by meetlife
sam the peace maker.......well done....:clap: :clap: :clap:
hey Sam guess you are taking the role of UN here( The United Nations):D

Originally posted by pinktooth
Hey Henna I have always seen New yorkers post such quotes for you...has he met you:confused:
I guess you must be very pretty:)
take care

I allways wanted to ask the same question,but did not dare to.How about if Newyorkr tells us ???

:laugh: I did not mean for HER ,I ment for ME:laugh: .I do not think my Ex-date will be befor I am 100 years old. :laugh:

Originally posted by sam3
I do not think my Ex-date will be befor I am 100 years old. :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

I am sure that info will be of use to the "single and looking" females in this forum.

I have a very very funny picture for that (NOTHING OFFENSIVE OR UNPOLITE ) .I just cant upload it ,coz it is 36k & I cant upload it ,it is too big in KB size.

I am dieng to attach it to that post ,I just don't know how .

it is 36KB exactly, but when I try 2 attach it , this is what I get

" the immage is too big,please make it No bigger than 400 x400 ".

I am not that good in these stuffs,but if I could find a way soon I promiss to make all of you burst from laughing .I have an amazing collection in my P.C .

Finally........I used ACD system.....here it is & thanks budy.Do you know how can I make it as a back ground of this post ??? I mean NOT as an attached file??.

Attachments

• trying to remember.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 182
New baby product for babies in some parts of the WORLED (NOT India) .

Attachments

• spicybabyfood.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 174
New baby product for babies in some parts of the WORLED (NOT India) .

you rock.
not for the post but the picture you uploaded.

Finally........I used ACD system.....here it is & thanks budy.Do you know how can I make it as a back ground of this post ??? I mean NOT as an attached file??.
This is too funny sam:laugh: :laugh:
May I prescribe Aricept....:hardy:

" Definition of Horny ":idea: ...!!!!

It is the adjective of horns ,as you can clearly see in the pic .

............................Just in case someone MAY understand it wrong :cool: .

Attachments

• p372.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 170
I think that is great. Very funny.:laugh:

It depends on how you define Horny:laugh::laugh:

Then I guess am 50% perfect ,cos I am""" SENSITIVE """ as the pic says:laugh:

Then I guess am 50% perfect ,cos I am""" SENSITIVE """ as the pic says:laugh:

This statement in the real world could cost a few fans and possibly girlfriends too. :D