Culture of the School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akitavet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, in vet school do people get involved in the culture of the university as a whole? Im sure there are certain people who do always, but as a whole... I went to Chemical Engineering grad school, and we were very social as a department, but we interacted very little with the university as a whole. Is this typical of professional school or were we just an antisocial department LOL. I mean do the vet students go to the football games and participated in school-wide extracurriculars and have big parties and that kind of stuff, or are they more isolated and hang out with mostly other vet students....OR alternatively, do they have no time to do any hanging out at all?

I know a lot of this is personal, but Im hoping to find out about general trends

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not super social with the other vet students myself. I don't want to feel like I'm neglecting my hubby or my dogs, so I don't do much social activities beyond what the clubs have for their meetings. Yeah, I'm lame! :D But from what I get (and also since I've gone to Mizzou for my undergrad and grad school too), they aren't real participatory with the rest of the university. I'd kind of like to see a little more interaction with the med students since their curriculum is pretty similar and they have to deal with somewhat similar things. But it's pretty self contained beyond a little outreach into the animal science department and maybe biology a little too.

At a lot of universities, it seems the vet school is geographically segregated from the rest of the campus - an extreme would be Tufts, where the main campus is like 30 miles away from the vet campus. At Davis, there's a "health sciences" campus, which includes the vet school, that is attached to the main campus at one corner but is really pretty separate from it. So when we have our Friday happy hour barbecue outside, it's not like people from other departments are going to see the crowd and stop by or anything.

That said, the new stadium at Davis was built basically right on the health science campus, so it's going to be pretty hard to ignore football games if we're in the anatomy lab over the weekend or whatever. Davis also does intramural sports, and the vet school typically puts together several teams for everything from basketball to badminton. Our teams will then play against other department teams, groups of friends, random people who sign up together, etc.

I'm sure the various vet schools differ widely in terms of how possible it is to interact with the rest of the university, and I'm sure individual classes differ in the extent to which people make an effort to get involved in campus-wide activities.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know at UF vet students go to the football games and have a student tailgate before. I imagine its harder to go to the basketball games because half of them are during the week.

A friend of mine is in her 1st semester at Tennessee...she and many of the other students there go to many (if not all) of the football games. From what she tells me UTK's students have a lot of school spirit