Culture vs. Cost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TPG23

Reaction score
I am trying to decide where to put a deposit down for schools, and I am wondering how much of an impact your school's culture is on your success in the program. I got accepted to an in-state school that would greatly reduce my tuition costs. It seems like a great school, but they aren't hosting a tour of their facilities until after the Jan. 15th deadline to put deposits down. I have already toured the other out-of-state school, which is about 40k more in tuition, but I feel that the program/faculty/students would make the school a great fit for me and prepare me for my future career. So, is it worth the risk/cost of putting down multiple deposits so that I get a good idea of the culture of both schools, or is the cheaper option hands-down the better choice?

TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a decision that is up to you, obviously. Everyone has different values. However, if I was in this position, I would 100% opt for going to the school that costs 40k less. That is a large sum of money that no "culture" could override, in my opinion.

I would maybe consider which school I prefer on a basis of culture/fit/fun/etc. if the difference was under 10k, but definitely not 40k.

Up to you, best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I am trying to decide where to put a deposit down for schools, and I am wondering how much of an impact your school's culture is on your success in the program. I got accepted to an in-state school that would greatly reduce my tuition costs. It seems like a great school, but they aren't hosting a tour of their facilities until after the Jan. 15th deadline to put deposits down. I have already toured the other out-of-state school, which is about 40k more in tuition, but I feel that the program/faculty/students would make the school a great fit for me and prepare me for my future career. So, is it worth the risk/cost of putting down multiple deposits so that I get a good idea of the culture of both schools, or is the cheaper option hands-down the better choice?

TIA!

Go the the cheapest school! You will not understand schools' "culture" from a tour. All schools will be presenting their facility, students, and faculty well. I actually think those tours are waste of time. School life will be more or less the same wherever you go.

TIA!
You aren't going to get a sense of a culture on a tour, and even if you did, it isn't worth $40k unless the college was a straight up dumpster fire.